The Student Room Group

How do you pronounce the 8th letter of the alphabet?

Scroll to see replies

The 8th letter of the alphabet.
Is the lack of ‘h’ in aitch dependant on the accent predominantly? And of course background and what you were surrounded with :smile:
For some reason I quite dislike the ‘ai’ sound but that’s probably because of my strict upbringing on the word ‘ain’t’ not being a proper word :emo:
Original post by Andrew97
The 8th letter of the alphabet.

0261EEB6-C3EC-4FA9-97F1-F29E5D2090ED.gif
The right way ofc :u: Hhheg
Hatch

Spoiler

Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Hatch

Spoiler

Omg yeesssss my mum says it like that :biggrin:
I pronounce it as ‘haitch’ due to the fact that my primary school teacher in Year 1 pronounced it that way and I still do to this day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hellooooo :u:
Haych in English
Haa in Dutch
Reply 49
I just miss it out
I've always pronounced it 'H'
Original post by Guru Jason
Can we all just use the lower case version 'huh'? Then there be no disagreements.

I love how people seem to associate the sound (well, ish) of the letters with being 'lower-case' and the name being 'upper-case' :lol:
Original post by Moonbow
Is the lack of ‘h’ in aitch dependant on the accent predominantly? And of course background and what you were surrounded with :smile:
For some reason I quite dislike the ‘ai’ sound but that’s probably because of my strict upbringing on the word ‘ain’t’ not being a proper word :emo:

Hard to tell, obviously upbringing plays a role, but I suspect it's not that geographically different among our generation (though haitch is known to be more established e.g. in Ireland, and, as people have mentioned already, pretty unknown in North America), and more linked to the age of the speaker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H

The standard way is aitch. Regional variations / accents say haitch. Neither is wrong, but aitch is the original way of saying it.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I love how people seem to associate the sound (well, ish) of the letters with being 'lower-case' and the name being 'upper-case' :lol:

Hard to tell, obviously upbringing plays a role, but I suspect it's not that geographically different among our generation (though haitch is known to be more established e.g. in Ireland, and, as people have mentioned already, pretty unknown in North America), and more linked to the age of the speaker.

Very good point! I guess the age does play a big role :biggrin:
Clearly some strong opinions so far!

Keep voting (not least because I want to compare this to previous polls and see if there's a trend!). Also, language lovers, please come and join the TSR Langthusiasts group here!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Clearly some strong opinions so far!

Keep voting (not least because I want to compare this to previous polls and see if there's a trend!). Also, language lovers, please come and join the TSR Langthusiasts group here!

I’m one of the few who voted something different as now I think about it, I actually use ... both! :erm:

If I’m saying the letter on its own, as part of an acronym or at the start of a sentence it’s normally a hard haitch sound. Like “Haitch MRC are chasing me for that paperwork again”

But if I say it in the middle of a sentence it changes ... “Dude you spelled that wrong, there’s an aitch in it!” or “Triple Aitch just won the WWF title”.

Kinda weird I know but it fits me because i talk at 100 miles an hour and naturally drop all the H’s off the front of words unless I’m stressing them deliberately anyway

Quick Reply

Latest