The Student Room Group

Teacher always marking me down- HELP!!!

Hi Guys, in year 9 I was getting 6s borderline 7s but for some reason ever since I got into Year 10 and have a new teacher she has been marking me down. For the first exam she graded me a grade 4= but I showed it to someone else who would have easily given it a 6=. For the end of Year 10 mocks she gave me a grade 4= despite the fact that I had followed Mr Bruff's step-by-step guide to writing a description. AND ON TOP OF THIS, whenever she marks my work and gives me feedback she always says something watery. Should I go to the head of english?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Is she giving you any advice on how to improve? If not, I’d say go to the HoE on that premise rather than straight out accuse then of not grading you correctly.
However, I honestly think that downgrading can be beneficial to performance in actual exams. I was doubtful over whether or not my teachers were actually reading my work by the end of sixth form because they always gave me such high marks, came out with a low B on results day 🤷*♀️
Original post by J.Sule
Should I go to the head of english?

And say what? You don't like the marks she's giving you, but can't say in any meaningful way why they should be higher?

Not a good idea...
It could be your former teacher was very lenient and not that your current teacher is harsh. I wouldn’t recommend going to the Head of English.
My RE teacher always marked all of her classes down , or rather she was very strict in her marking. Gave us all a good surprise when it came to results day though, mind you.
Is she giving you constructive criticism or notes on your work?
Go and ask your teacher first. Going to the Head of Department will likely not make you be seen as, I dunno, sensible or something.
Who cares what you get in your mocks. Just get what you want in the actual exam as they aren't marked by your teacher
To be brutally honest, you should bring a whole lot of your best work that has been marked down by the teacher, go to the Head of English, see what the Head says. If this doesn't work, go and see your Headteacher.
Personally, I have never encounted such unfairness, but this is what I would do if I was in your shoes
Reply 7
Original post by J.Sule
Hi Guys, in year 9 I was getting 6s borderline 7s but for some reason ever since I got into Year 10 and have a new teacher she has been marking me down. For the first exam she graded me a grade 4= but I showed it to someone else who would have easily given it a 6=. For the end of Year 10 mocks she gave me a grade 4= despite the fact that I had followed Mr Bruff's step-by-step guide to writing a description. AND ON TOP OF THIS, whenever she marks my work and gives me feedback she always says something watery. Should I go to the head of english

You should have to ask her first about her concern giving you that grade. And after that, your call. Maybe she wanted you to push yourself harder, but she might not know that every student shouldn't be treated equally.

Quick Reply

Latest