The Student Room Group

A Level English Literature Specification B - NEA Question

Hello, I am wondering if "The Choice" by Claire Wade is an appropriate choice for Marxism. She is a new author, but this novel interests me. Is it suitable to do my English NEA on it?
Reply 1
Either that or I am considering 1984 by George Orwell.
Reply 2
I'd say check with your teachers, if the book interests you and you think theres potential to use it as coursework then go for it. Since its a new book though, you may have trouble finding resources that could help you online.

But then again 1984 is a popular choice, which our teacher said may loose you marks if you do popular novels and ideas - cos theres loads of resources online for it
I haven't read 'The Choice' so I can't really comment on the book, but I would say to ask your teachers. My English teachers were very flexible in what we were allowed to write our NEA on so I ended up doing mine on 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' which came out in 2007. Only one of my book suggestions got turned down for being too 'young adult', which I still think is a stupid reason, but it's done now.

'1984' is obviously very well known, I personally hated that book, but it is a great one to analyse. Even 'Animal Farm' would probably be a good choice.

But it's always best to discuss it with your teachers!

Quick Reply

Latest