The Student Room Group

handwriting in exam

hiya, i feel like this question gets asked sm but I've already completed three exams and I feel like my handwriting in them was illegible...would I get marked down or at all if the examiner can't read it? I heard that they pass it onto the next examiner but what if the other can't read?? Would I be at risk with getting a low mark???
Reply 1
Original post by onlinegyaah
hiya, i feel like this question gets asked sm but I've already completed three exams and I feel like my handwriting in them was illegible...would I get marked down or at all if the examiner can't read it? I heard that they pass it onto the next examiner but what if the other can't read?? Would I be at risk with getting a low mark???

Technically yes, unfortunately. If they can’t read it they can’t know what they can award marks for. However, having read, for exam technique help, lots of scripts that got really high marks, let me tell you that there were many of those where I could hardly decipher a word but the examiner clearly could and had awarded super good marks.
Re protocol, I think you’re right, if they can’t read it they’ll pass it on, and the exams are all moderated so it goes through many chances anyway.
Don’t worry too much, there are some really bad handwritings that get deciphered so I’m sure yours will be fine, but if it’s a low mark when you get your results you can always apply for a remark and they’re more likely to make a real effort to know what you wrote.
Hope this is helpful 😊
Reply 2
Original post by squiddy135
Technically yes, unfortunately. If they can’t read it they can’t know what they can award marks for. However, having read, for exam technique help, lots of scripts that got really high marks, let me tell you that there were many of those where I could hardly decipher a word but the examiner clearly could and had awarded super good marks.
Re protocol, I think you’re right, if they can’t read it they’ll pass it on, and the exams are all moderated so it goes through many chances anyway.
Don’t worry too much, there are some really bad handwritings that get deciphered so I’m sure yours will be fine, but if it’s a low mark when you get your results you can always apply for a remark and they’re more likely to make a real effort to know what you wrote.
Hope this is helpful 😊

yeah this is helpful thank you! I'm always worried about my handwriting because my teachers would occasionally mention it but would never refer me to be monitored :/
hopefully someone can read it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending