The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lu-x
I wasn't asking you, nneeer :p:

I was asking the OP to consider it. Anyway maths definately helps with Chem.

Ah right. What, instead of physics?
Reply 21
Ignore people telling you to take a hundred academic subjects. It's better to take an ""unacademic"" subject along with 3 academics rather than another academic that you wouldn't enjoy.
Reply 22
How about doing maths instead of Business? It is far more respected and more relevant to medicine plus you'd have psychology as your "contrasting" subject so no issues there.

I hear physics is quite hard for those that don't do Maths (avec Mechanics preferrably), so you miight want to keep that in mind.

However, your options seem ok and, at the end of the day, it is more important you choose a set of subjects that you think you'll enjoy :smile:
Reply 23
Is work experience that important when it comes to applying for medicine?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Sunny1171

It is, especially to get a real idea of what practising Medicine is like. I would strongly advise you to try and get some since mine has really got me thinking about whether or not this is the right career for me. Voluntary work is said to be of greater importance, however.
Reply 25
Sunny1171

lol

Yes, but don't discuss that here. There's a thread at the top of the Medicine forum to discuss all work experience issues in.
Sunny1171

Yes. Don't bother applying without it.
im so academic

Also, if you are considering to go to the top unis, I'd advise at LEAST 3 of these:

Biology,
Chemistry,
Physics,
Maths
Why??? And what are these top Universities?
Sunny1171

It is ESSENTIAL

Firstly because no medical school will give you a second glance without it, and secondly because you need to know about the **** you are about to get yourself into

As for A-levels, do which ever ones you are likely to be predicted/ achieve As in
Reply 29
Democracy
Ah right. What, instead of physics?

Maths is more of a help.
Reply 30
crazyhelicopter
Why??? And what are these top Universities?

Ignore him, he doesn't know what the ****.

Chemistry + Biology are required, a third academic subject would help with Oxbridge but many don't care what your third subject is.
Reply 31
Toiletpaper8
Limited suitability lol, well, my memory certainly didn't serve me well :p:

That's for Trinity College though not cambridge as a whole, and trinity are pretty strict about various things from what i can tell :P
Reply 32
DrDomDom
Point - Biology isnt required everywhere, and its only needed to AS level at other places. I maintain, if you have 3 academic subjects, you would still be at an advantage to someone with a "soft" subject... it just makes sense.

Fair enough about Biology - this has been discussed hundreds of times and the conclusion by current medical students is that Biology does seem to help but we're talking purely about admissions.

On that same note, somebody taking three academics does not put them ahead of somebody taking something like psychology. No.
Reply 33
DrDomDom
Admissions wise, nope - it makes sense, to me at least, that it probably should if the third subject is considered academic.

Then you're wrong.

Find me somewhere that says "AAA/AAB in Biology, Chemistry and another academic subject."

Edit: Apart from the obvious - Trinity College being one, etc.
Reply 34
''Psychology, as both are on the "generally unsuitable" list of subjects.''

Oh Well great to know!!!!:sad:
Reply 35
Malsi101
Oh Well great to know!!!!:sad:

It's "Limited Suitability" which is entirely different. That's only if you want to apply to Trinity College, Cambridge.
crazyhelicopter
It is ESSENTIAL

Firstly because no medical school will give you a second glance without it, and secondly because you need to know about the **** you are about to get yourself into

As for A-levels, do which ever ones you are likely to be predicted/ achieve As in

Or if you can't get work experience, work in a voluntary capacity or work which can demonstrate your caring side will do.

Work experience isn't always that easy to get.
Toiletpaper8
Or if you can't get work experience, work in a voluntary capacity or work which can demonstrate your caring side will do.
Only if you can spin it to show you have a knowledge of the job
crazyhelicopter
Only if you can spin it to show you have a knowledge of the job

I just think that a proactive approach in volunteering and helping around the community is more valuable than shadowing the coat-tails of a doctor for a week and watching various procedures lol :p:
If you got 98% in GCSE Physics then I would definitely go for physics.

But you said you don't really like maths, and I've heard that physics is heavily maths based...

Latest

Trending

Trending