The Student Room Group

Part time job To help anxiety

Hi I’m going into Y13 in September

I’m thinking of getting a part time job to help with my anxiety as it will increase the number of interactions I have with people and I can experience a new environment.

But I was wondering will this have an effect on my grades at A2. I’m a student who works a lot harder than the average person to get the grades. I also need to get A*AA for uni which I have as my predicted grades. I’m just worried I’ll spend too much time over thinking about going to work to the point where it will hurt my grades more
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m going into Y13 in September

I’m thinking of getting a part time job to help with my anxiety as it will increase the number of interactions I have with people and I can experience a new environment.

But I was wondering will this have an effect on my grades at A2. I’m a student who works a lot harder than the average person to get the grades. I also need to get A*AA for uni which I have as my predicted grades. I’m just worried I’ll spend too much time over thinking about going to work to the point where it will hurt my grades more

Start off asap and if it gets too much, then you can quit. One day a week i.e Saturday job should be sufficient.
It is a good idea. Many people just let their anxiety and social skills remain poor and then it takes its toll at uni.
The alternative is to volunteer and do hobbies.
Your grades are still the most important though so if needed you could work till Christmas.
I'd get a part-time job in your position. It's a good way to develop social & time management skills. Also, you'll have some work experience under your belt. The end decision is up to you though.
I agree with 999tigger! Fab idea. You'll be fine A2 wise up until Jan/Feb next year which is when pressure is put on more. See how you feel around then.
Original post by 999tigger
Start off asap and if it gets too much, then you can quit. One day a week i.e Saturday job should be sufficient.
I had one at your age and it was a very useful thing in growing confidence and social skills. The money helped too!
If you think it would help you go for it! It’s nice to have the money too.
When I was in 6th form I had a job with a zero hours contract... It worked really well because I got to choose my hours and didn’t have to work when I had exams whereas I could do more hours in holidays.
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
I had one at your age and it was a very useful thing in growing confidence and social skills. The money helped too!

Original post by 999tigger
It is a good idea. Many people just let their anxiety and social skills remain poor and then it takes its toll at uni.
The alternative is to volunteer and do hobbies.
Your grades are still the most important though so if needed you could work till Christmas.

Thank you I have done some looking for one but I’m struggling as I’ve messed up the video interview for a couple of jobs. I find them to be more nerve wracking than in person interviews
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you I have done some looking for one but I’m struggling as I’ve messed up the video interview for a couple of jobs. I find them to be more nerve wracking than in person interviews

Then its just a case of practice.
Do mock ones over the internet or talk to yourself in your bedroom in front of the mirror.

These are good books to look at or any old copy of what colour is your parachute but Richard Nelson Bolles, although id go for a 2nd hand copy of the one written by his daughter as its for teens and explains interviews. Practice makes perfect. be glad you got interviews as that means you are closer, and they think you worth interviewing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-World-Jenny-Mullins/dp/1492153281

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-What-You-Are-Personality/dp/0316167266
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Parachute-Teens-Third/dp/1607745771/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Quick Reply

Latest