The Student Room Group

Can I write 2 personal statements

I am hoping to apply for medicine, the deadline is October.
However, I want to apply for their courses which deadline are in September.
I can choose 5 courses altogether .
Bc they are 2 different deadlines am I able to complete two different personal statement, as the courses are different.
Original post by Lolhehe
Bc they are 2 different deadlines am I able to complete two different personal statement, as the courses are different.

No, it will have to be the same personal statement.
Original post by Lolhehe

no, you will have to submit 1 application for all 5 courses.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
no, you will have to submit 1 application for all 5 courses.

But can I still apply at different time tho
Original post by Lolhehe
But can I still apply at different time tho

Sort of. But you only get 5 choices.

So if you apply to 3 unis you can then add 2 more(providing you do so before the deadline) but it will still be the exact same application even if you add unis on later.

So if you know the 5 unis & courses you should just apply to them all at the same time.

But it’s not recommend to apply to different subjects so if you apply to medicine and another area it’s likely your application falls between the two and you would likely be rejected.
Most of the time, it is medicine related ish so they will just accept you or they may ask you to email them a separate personal statement. It depends on the uni and the department so it’s up to them. You can only submit one personal statement through UCAS though. I wouldn’t try to tailor your personal statement to fit both though. That’s very difficult and would probably end up on you being rejected from medicine because they may think that your heart isn’t in medicine or something. Make it specific to medicine and if the other courses ask for another personal statement, then you can write one for them
Reply 6
But what if I wanted to apply to two medicine courses and 3 other courses, that would be v difficult right?
Original post by Lolhehe
But what if I wanted to apply to two medicine courses and 3 other courses, that would be v difficult right?

Yes, it would be. You should pick one or the other as you’re entire personal statement and possibly parts of your reference will be based off of one subject. If you try to tailor it to both subjects, there’s a good chance that neither will accept you as they may feel that your personal statement is not suited to the particular degree. Especially in medicine, they have so many applicants so why should they pick someone who doesn’t even seem like they want medicine that much in their personal statement over someone who only wants to do medicine and makes that clear in their personal statement.
Original post by Lolhehe

This really isnt a good idea (imo).

Medicine is extremely competitive and a more complex admissions process, its really something you have to want to commit intently to. Being half in half out will show in your preparation and inevitably in the interviews and hence will likely lead to rejection (especially if you apply to only 2 unis).

You can only submit 1 personal statement on UCAS so applying to lots of different courses whilst possible also isnt a good idea unless they are all closely related.
--
I think you need to spend more time thinking about what subject you want to pursue at degree level then come back to UCAS.
I agree with @mnot. If you’re not sure that you definitely want to medicine, then medicine may not be for you. A lot of people drop out of med school when they realise that it’s not for them so I would make sure that you absolutely want to do it and are prepared to keep up with such a demanding course!
If you don't get any med offers or decide you don't want to go to do medicine after all, you can apply for something else through Clearing when that opens. You don't have to add all your UCAS choices if they are not the early deadline
Original post by Lolhehe

If you want to study medicine then you should apply for 4 medicine choices. If you are unsure then it is probably not the right degree for you or you should take some time to think about it a bit more.
I don't understand what you mean by deadlines in September? The only deadlines are in October (medicine, vet med, dentistry, oxbridge) and then January (everything else).
What is your back-up course? If it is science related then you don't necessarily need a second PS (my back-up was chemistry with maths and I got an offer with no second PS). If it is a very different course then e-mail the unis in question asking if they accept a second PS, if they do you can write one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending