The Student Room Group

Can I apply for optometry and pharmacy at the same time for uni

Can I apply for optometry and pharmacy and still get accepted into the different unis? If I write a generic personal statement that talks about my fascination for science based subjects etc. will it be okay or do you think I should apply for one course in different unis and then apply for the other course in clearing in case I don’t get in
Reply 1
I don’t thing you will get an offer for either of those courses with a generic personal statement.
Reply 2
As above, don't ever try to write a dual-subject Personal Statement - it will be totally obvious to all 5 choices that you are not committed to 'their' subject.

Some Unis will allow you to submit a 2nd PS directly to them. If you are applying to 4 Optometry choices and 1 Pharmacy, then write an Optometry UCAS PS and find a Uni that will accept a 2nd PS for Pharmacy (like Bath).
Reply 3
Yes you can apply for both
I know someone personally who applied for optometry and pharmacy at the same university and got an offer for both even though their personal statement was mostly about optometry.

Or you can write 2 different personal statements which is what someone else in my class did but you’d have to contact the unis that you are interested in for more clarity.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BBambiS
Yes you can apply for both
I know someone personally who applied for optometry and pharmacy at the same university and got an offer for both even though their personal statement was mostly about optometry.

Or you can write 2 different personal statements which is what someone else in my class did but you’d have to contact the unis that you are interested in for more clarity.

Thank you for this reply! I am currently leaning more towards optometry but if for any reason I feel unsure I may do what you said above and apply to both in the same university’s with different personal statements
Reply 5
Original post by alevel8299
Thank you for this reply! I am currently leaning more towards optometry but if for any reason I feel unsure I may do what you said above and apply to both in the same university’s with different personal statements

Just make sure that you contact that Uni BEFORE you apply to ask if they will accept a dual application - some wont for professional/competitive courses and therefore you could be risking both choices.
Reply 6
Original post by alevel8299
Can I apply for optometry and pharmacy and still get accepted into the different unis? If I write a generic personal statement that talks about my fascination for science based subjects etc. will it be okay or do you think I should apply for one course in different unis and then apply for the other course in clearing in case I don’t get in

yesyes aston uni for example says that if you write a personal statement about pharmacy then you need to write a seperate one for optometry, but if you write only one about optometry then you dont need to write one for pharmacy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending