The Student Room Group

dentistry scotland

I want to apply for dentistry 2021 (waiting for my grades next week and will be taking the ucat in september) but I am only considering Dundee and Glasgow because going to uni in England just does not seem like an option due to the distance, fees, etc and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what else I can apply for on my application since I will only have two dental schools on there? and are there any unis in Scotland that don’t really look at personal statements for other courses so I can really focus on dentistry in my statement
Since you can normally only apply to a maximum of four medicine/dentistry/vet med courses anywhere anyway, there are usually a number of courses that will accept without prejudice a med/dent/vet PS (typically biomedical sciences type courses). They won't know (or even care, if they did) how many dentistry courses you did apply to. You should contact any course providers in advance to check if that is the case though; some courses may not do so even if they are in such a biomedical science type area, and some may require you to submit an additional personal statement directly to them tailored to that course (this is more common for courses that are more tangential to med/vet/dentistry, such as neuroscience).
Reply 2
hello, I will be applying for the same course in 2021 and in the same university’s. I struggled with this too and saw that Glasgow Caledonian did an ORAL HEALTH course which is much closer than Aberdeen or Stornaway ect. how would you get from this course to being a dentist if you don’t get accepted into one that you have chosen which is specifically dentistry?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by atmax003
hello, I will be applying for the same course in 2021 and in the same university’s. I struggled with this too and saw that Glasgow Caledonian did an ORAL HEALTH course which is much closer than Aberdeen or Stornaway ect. how would you get from this course to being a dentist if you don’t get accepted into one that you have chosen which is specifically dentistry?

The only two main ways to get into dentistry is through the typical undergraduate way or through postgrad after doing a degree. If you decide to do an oral health course; there won't be any particular advantages to really help you get you accepted for postgrad dentistry apart from the work experience but that can be obtained fairly easily by shadowing a dentist anyway. Hope this helps.
Reply 4
thankyou @ITS2019

Quick Reply

Latest