The Student Room Group

Psychology and Language Science or Psychology and Behavioural Science

Hello all

Please could someone shed some light. I'm interested in the above courses and note that very limited number of unis offer these courses. Are they known by anything else? I don't think I want to do just Psychology. Looking at options.

Any advice or direction would really be appreciated. This is for 2025 entry.

Ideally looking for no more than 2.5 hours from North London.

Thank you.
Original post by Thereyouare
Hello all

Please could someone shed some light. I'm interested in the above courses and note that very limited number of unis offer these courses. Are they known by anything else? I don't think I want to do just Psychology. Looking at options.

Any advice or direction would really be appreciated. This is for 2025 entry.

Ideally looking for no more than 2.5 hours from North London.

Thank you.

Without knowing too much about your future aspirations, if you want to do a degree that includes "psychology" on its title, I would make sure it is BPS accredited, in case you'd like to pursue a career in psychology afterwards.

A limited number of universities offer those degrees because people are much more interested in a plain old psychology degree. I briefly toyed with the idea of doing a psychology and neuroscience degree and I remember that the entry requirements tended to be one grade lower than just a psychology degree so if anything, getting into these combination courses should be slightly easier.

I don't really understand "psychology and behavioural sciences" because psychology is, by definition, the science that studies behaviour, so kind of a redundant name in my opinion. My quick search seems to indicate that this degree is basically a pure psychology degree in all but marketing so if you don't want a pure psychology degree, maybe this one isn't a great idea.

Psychology and language sciences does deviate a little from the content typically taught a psychology degree to include content about languages and grammar and all that stuff so if languages are your thing, then definitely worth considering!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Whatever you choose, make sure the course is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society). If you plan on doing a Master's degree it really does help to have a BPS accredited degree.
https://www.bps.org.uk/
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
Without knowing too much about your future aspirations, if you want to do a degree that includes "psychology" on its title, I would make sure it is BPS accredited, in case you'd like to pursue a career in psychology afterwards.

A limited number of universities offer those degrees because people are much more interested in a plain old psychology degree. I briefly toyed with the idea of doing a psychology and neuroscience degree and I remember that the entry requirements tended to be one grade lower than just a psychology degree so if anything, getting into these combination courses should be slightly easier.

I don't really understand "psychology and behavioural sciences" because psychology is, by definition, the science that studies behaviour, so kind of a redundant name in my opinion. My quick search seems to indicate that this degree is basically a pure psychology degree in all but marketing so if you don't want a pure psychology degree, maybe this one isn't a great idea.

Psychology and language sciences does deviate a little from the content typically taught a psychology degree to include content about languages and grammar and all that stuff so if languages are your thing, then definitely worth considering!
My apologies for not replying sooner - life seems to take over! Thank you for your response. The problem I am facing is that my real passion is Chemistry or Biomedical Science. I'm finding that the more I look at Biomedical Science, the more I see non-IBMS accredited courses and I'm not sure I want to study beyond UG and I will only know once I start uni. Psychology with something else is my second choice (I think) because I don't want to do 100% psychology. I know it is very competitive. My question is does Psychology and "something else" classify as social sciences? i.e. Psychology and Language Science, Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience or even Global Health and Social Medicine classed as "social sciences" giving a wider exposure and learning in this area? I'm not sure I'm even making myself clear! Thank you so much.
Reply 4
Original post by raj9988
Whatever you choose, make sure the course is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society). If you plan on doing a Master's degree it really does help to have a BPS accredited degree.
https://www.bps.org.uk/
Thank you for your help. I'm spending the day today looking at alternative courses. I just never seem to have the time to do this wholeheartedly and know how important it all is.
Original post by Thereyouare
My apologies for not replying sooner - life seems to take over! Thank you for your response. The problem I am facing is that my real passion is Chemistry or Biomedical Science. I'm finding that the more I look at Biomedical Science, the more I see non-IBMS accredited courses and I'm not sure I want to study beyond UG and I will only know once I start uni. Psychology with something else is my second choice (I think) because I don't want to do 100% psychology. I know it is very competitive. My question is does Psychology and "something else" classify as social sciences? i.e. Psychology and Language Science, Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience or even Global Health and Social Medicine classed as "social sciences" giving a wider exposure and learning in this area? I'm not sure I'm even making myself clear! Thank you so much.

I think Psychology and something else would still be a social science.

But in any case, if you're passionate about Chemistry or Biomedicine, go for those courses instead rather than Psychology. How would you write a personal statement covering both Biomed and Psychology? With the exception of Medicine and Dentistry, where UCAS will literally not let you fill out all of your choices with Medical/Dentistry courses, it makes little sense applying to a "second course". What you ought to be doing is applying strategically for the courses you actually want to maximise your chances of getting in.

Follow your passion :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
I think Psychology and something else would still be a social science.

But in any case, if you're passionate about Chemistry or Biomedicine, go for those courses instead rather than Psychology. How would you write a personal statement covering both Biomed and Psychology? With the exception of Medicine and Dentistry, where UCAS will literally not let you fill out all of your choices with Medical/Dentistry courses, it makes little sense applying to a "second course". What you ought to be doing is applying strategically for the courses you actually want to maximise your chances of getting in.

Follow your passion :smile:
Thank you Scotland Yard. Yes, this is the predicament re Personal Statement and I like how you say "follow your passion". I'm hoping that I am not restricting my career choices by doing Biomed/Chem. I would like to think that if I do well in the UG degree then I could get a job in any sector and not be restricted to just healthcare. I just need to look at other courses in the same field/area and look at the modules to see what appeals.

Quick Reply

Latest