The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford History Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know what they expect you to talk about re: your written work? i didn't know we could be asked about it so i just submitted my highest-scoring essay and now i'm worried i won't be able to answer questions on it because it's not particularly interesting
Original post by ladouleurexquise
does anyone know what they expect you to talk about re: your written work? i didn't know we could be asked about it so i just submitted my highest-scoring essay and now i'm worried i won't be able to answer questions on it because it's not particularly interesting

Not a clue but I'd guess whether you still stand by the argument put forward in the essay, whether you'd change anything about it, etc.?

I think it's important that you take a critical stance on your essay - they're looking for flexibility of thought
Reply 683
Did anyone have a history interview today? If so, how long was the interview for? :smile:
Reply 684
Original post by shushanenawi
They asked me a lot of questions about my written work - I found it quite helpful to have read through the piece earlier and gone through it adding questions marks to each point and answering the statements out loud to myself. They will ask you questions you haven't prepared for, but having talked about almost every paragraph to myself in my prep, it helped me to recall my general thoughts despite all the nerves!

What college did you apply to? :smile:
Hi everyone. Good luck to those who have interviews! When people got their invitations did the email state there would be allocated time to read a source? My email just says the time my interview begins (not how long it will be or any allocated reading time) so does this mean I probably won’t have a source? Thanks :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nh2003
What college did you apply to? :smile:

I did an open application and got allocated to Teddy Hall! :biggrin: Wbu?
I received an email that specified I "will not have a pre-interview reading" for my 35-minute long history interview. Do you guys think there is a possibility that I will still be shown something to read during the interview?
Reply 688
Original post by shushanenawi
I did an open application and got allocated to Teddy Hall! :biggrin: Wbu?

Ah I applied to Pembroke and got reallocated to St Benet’s Hall! :smile:
Reply 689
Original post by powerpuffgirls
Hi everyone. Good luck to those who have interviews! When people got their invitations did the email state there would be allocated time to read a source? My email just says the time my interview begins (not how long it will be or any allocated reading time) so does this mean I probably won’t have a source? Thanks :smile:

Mine specified that there would be an introductory source exercise and then the rest of it would be an interview. Different colleges have said different things, some being more specific than others tbh. I hope it all goes well for you though, very best of luck! :smile:)
Original post by noireatoxford
I received an email that specified I "will not have a pre-interview reading" for my 35-minute long history interview. Do you guys think there is a possibility that I will still be shown something to read during the interview?

Do you have 1 or 2 interviews? If 1 it is highly unlikely especially as the college has specified as such. At least from my experience, it is highly unusual to give applicants something to read during the interview. On the off chance that you do it would have to be a very short extract to allow for analysis time and a discussion around said reading as well as PS, written work, etc. So do not worry too much about it

Most things are interesting and I am sure your piece is too!

Reread your written work and jot down potential questions around the topic itself, your source base, and its themes. Questions can start broadly and become very specific or vice versa. Be prepared to put forward arguments (and justifications), be receptive to new ideas and how they affect your original argument, communicate clearly and in a structured fashion, and try to drive the interview (if possible - depends on the interviewers' style)

Best of luck
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! I have a Keble college interview tomorrow! SO SCARED!!!!! Hope we all do really well!!! Good Luck to everyone!

Also, has anyone done an interview at Keble? Hope it went well : )

when i did my interview, i didnt have any pre reading but was shown a source during the first half of the interview, its unlikely it willbe something to read - it would waste time, its more likely that if they give you something furing the interview that its a photo, painting etc
Just had my interview for Lincoln - first one on my personal statement went really well but the second part on a historical topic of my choice (end of Cold War) I wasn't as happy with - I'm exhausted...!

I doubt it since reading would take up precious interview time, they'll probably just give you a visual source.
thanks for all the helpful responses! any advice on pre-interview nerves?
thanks for all the helpful responses! any advice on pre-interview nerves?

remember they already think you’re a great candidate - otherwise you wouldn’t be here! they just want to see how your brain works and you’re both there to simply discuss something your both passionate about. It’s only 30 minutes of your life and they clearly already like you as a candidate so this is just a chance for you to show off how much you love your subject :smile:
will you know if you are being considered for single honours history (e.g would you get another history interview at your college) or is it just done based of the interview you already had?
Guys...I have never sounded so unintelligent in my life. I literally can't think of anything good the Politics tutors could take away from my performance.

At this point I'm just hoping for an offer for straight History, hopefully that will happen if I do exponentially better in my History interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending