The Student Room Group

Are my grades enough?

I am going on to my 6th year. This year I obtained 3As in Maths,Physics,And geography. B in Computing science (which could get appealed for an A) and a C in English. I was hoping to study at Glasgow uni and do a degree in either Mathematics, Physics, Finance and possibly psychology but i am reconsidering now cause I am not sure my results are good enough. Can anyone help tell me if my grades could get accepted?
Your results don't sound bad at all, especially considering the controversy of this year's marking scheme. I congratulate you for those results, despite not even sitting the exams.

There is definitely still a possibility of getting an offer for Glasgow Uni with that set of results Your best bet to double check would be to check out the grade requirements in each of the subjects.

Hope this helps and hold that head up high :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, I appreciate your answer. And I am unsure just because a lot of the S6 entry requirements say the standard needed is 5As. Does this mean that I’m required to get 2 more As (possibly 1 more) to get a place?
Original post by BM61O
Thank you, I appreciate your answer. And I am unsure just because a lot of the S6 entry requirements say the standard needed is 5As. Does this mean that I’m required to get 2 more As (possibly 1 more) to get a place?

I just left S6 this year and I managed to get an unconditional offer for Accounting and Finance based only on my 5th year results where I had only taken 5 highers. However, to be absolutely safe I would take another couple of highers in 6th year to make sure youre absolutely covered :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks again for your reply. And well done on getting a unconditional offer. Do you think that I would definitely get a conditional offer and if I get a few more As in 6th year I would get in to one of those degree programs at Glasgow?
Original post by BM61O
Thanks again for your reply. And well done on getting a unconditional offer. Do you think that I would definitely get a conditional offer and if I get a few more As in 6th year I would get in to one of those degree programs at Glasgow?

I can't see why not as long as you put in the work to get those final few grades :smile: Not a full guarantee of course, but I think you stand a good fighting chance. Good luck on your appeal and UCAS application this year :biggrin:
Reply 6
Thanks for all your help, and I wish you the best of luck with your accounting and finance degree. Can’t stress how thankful I am with all your help.
Original post by BM61O
Thanks for all your help, and I wish you the best of luck with your accounting and finance degree. Can’t stress how thankful I am with all your help.

No problem :smile:
Original post by BM61O
I am going on to my 6th year. This year I obtained 3As in Maths,Physics,And geography. B in Computing science (which could get appealed for an A) and a C in English. I was hoping to study at Glasgow uni and do a degree in either Mathematics, Physics, Finance and possibly psychology but i am reconsidering now cause I am not sure my results are good enough. Can anyone help tell me if my grades could get accepted?

Well done on your results - it's a very good set of results! :smile:

I've had a quick look at the maths requirements for Glasgow, which state:

BBBB at S5 will be considered. Typically S6 entrants will have AAAAA at Higher. B at Advanced Higher is equivalent to A at Higher.

You've definitely already got that first bit from your results this year. You can then take more subjects (highers or advanced highers) this year to meet the overall requirement. It doesn't mention one sitting, so it's fine to do more subjects this year to get the required grades. A couple of things to note would be: 1) a higher & AH in the same subject won't really count as 2 of the AAAAA. 2) The word 'typically' - it doesn't mean this is the minimum, rather what they'd expect a typical candidate to have. There will be people both above and below this. 3) Check if you're eligible for widening access - the grade requirements are then lower than what's stated above.

Have a look at the requirements for all the subjects you're considering (I wouldn't expect them to vary too dramatically!), but short answer is YES - your grades are a really positive start and with some extra subjects in S6, you've got the academic side of a good application covered :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending