The Student Room Group

DSA

I have recently been diagnosed with dyslexia (mild to moderate) by a educational psychologist. I'm doing HND and my study support teacher said I can apply for dsa but I'm not sure how it works? If I was to get it would it be a one off payment for equipment I'll need to do my course or is it like PIP where you get payments every month? I've been told I will need a macbook pro as I'm going graphic design and most of the course will be done at home due to cornavirus but there's no way I can afford the money for a macbook at the moment so wondering if I would get help with that?
So usually DSA is given to you in whichever way you need for your support.
There are support like workers who can help in lessons or weekly sessions for mentor/wellbeing support tor study skills.
There are also things like equipment which you can use on your computers to help you.
I personally received study skills every week which was done remotely and printer ink and paper money up to a certain value each year which I got back reimbursed to me upon sending in reciepts.

DSA will usually do an assessment with you to see what your needs are and what support would be best for you.
You can apply for DSA in the student finance website :smile:

It does take a while to do and wait for application to process but it’s worth it!
Reply 2
DSA is nothing like PIP (or ESA).

They won't give you money (unless it's to reimburse you for something), they can give you non-medical helpers (study support, mental health mentor, etc.), and software. They can help with money regarding laptops and various other things (desks, chairs, etc.).

It's worth looking into and applying for it if you qualify.
Reply 3
Original post by Pathway
DSA is nothing like PIP (or ESA).

They won't give you money (unless it's to reimburse you for something), they can give you non-medical helpers (study support, mental health mentor, etc.), and software. They can help with money regarding laptops and various other things (desks, chairs, etc.).

It's worth looking into and applying for it if you qualify.

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by ClaudiaVan
So usually DSA is given to you in whichever way you need for your support.
There are support like workers who can help in lessons or weekly sessions for mentor/wellbeing support tor study skills.
There are also things like equipment which you can use on your computers to help you.
I personally received study skills every week which was done remotely and printer ink and paper money up to a certain value each year which I got back reimbursed to me upon sending in reciepts.

DSA will usually do an assessment with you to see what your needs are and what support would be best for you.
You can apply for DSA in the student finance website :smile:

It does take a while to do and wait for application to process but it’s worth it!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest