The Student Room Group

I tried to apply to Disabled Student’s Allowance but…

I called SFE to discuss my application and they told me that a doctor’s note is not considered valid evidence and I would need to have evidence of me claiming PIP. I have never claimed it because growing up, my parents never were concerned with getting extra money for my disability so I wasn’t aware you could claim PIP or DSA for it. I have a physical disability and the money would help cater to that when it comes to attending lectures, seminars and just making my life a bit easier.
Reply 1
DSA very rarely give you money. They give you assistive technology or a certain amount of support sessions. You won’t just get money to go to uni, if there’s a reason you can’t get public transport they may fund the difference between the journey if you got public transport and a taxi. Eg if your journey was going to cost you £10 on public transport but because of your disability you are unable to get that and the taxi costs £15 they will fund the extra £5. However it’s important to remember it’s *disability* related costs not uni related costs you would have regardless of the disabilities.
However what they have said about PIP is nonsense, I have never claimed any form of disability benefits and was awarded DSA simply from my consultant filling out a form.
(edited 7 months ago)
Have you contacted the university disability team as they are normally really supportive when it comes to applying for DSA (I mean they're supportive for other things as well) but they might be able to help you
When you say physical disability (you don't have to go into detail if you don't want) would it impact your movement around campus as they would be able to provide a printer and a taxi
I have DSA but because I'm autistic so don't know the accommodations they do for physical disabilities
Original post by Anonymous
I called SFE to discuss my application and they told me that a doctor’s note is not considered valid evidence and I would need to have evidence of me claiming PIP. I have never claimed it because growing up, my parents never were concerned with getting extra money for my disability so I wasn’t aware you could claim PIP or DSA for it. I have a physical disability and the money would help cater to that when it comes to attending lectures, seminars and just making my life a bit easier.

You can get PIP without being poor, it is not means tested as long as you can prove you have a disability whether physical or mental they give you it. So just go for it, as you are physically disabled they should give you the mobility component at least if you have trouble moving around. PIP is broken in to two parts, mobility and daily living. Mobility is for physical disabilities and Daily Living is for mental health and disabilities. Hope this helped.
You can get PIP without being poor, it is not means tested as long as you can prove you have a disability whether physical or mental they give you it. So just go for it, as you are physically disabled they should give you the mobility component at least if you have trouble moving around. PIP is broken in to two parts, mobility and daily living. Mobility is for physical disabilities and Daily Living is for mental health and disabilities. Hope this helped.

Hi,
I agree with what your saying but with what the DSA are saying it takes from 3 to 6 months from send off the application so they shouldn't assume people have it and it is unreasonable for someone to get it before starting university when applying for the DSA
Hi,
I agree with what your saying but with what the DSA are saying it takes from 3 to 6 months from send off the application so they shouldn't assume people have it and it is unreasonable for someone to get it before starting university when applying for the DSA

That's weird. I think you can get PIP as longer as you are over 16 as it's not the child version of the Disability allowance or whatever it is called. If that's the case it's probably because you said you were a uni student. I heard Uni students aren't entitlted to benefits unless the course they are doing is only a part time one or at college. It's a little dumb and sucky but I don't make the rules.
That's weird. I think you can get PIP as longer as you are over 16 as it's not the child version of the Disability allowance or whatever it is called. If that's the case it's probably because you said you were a uni student. I heard Uni students aren't entitlted to benefits unless the course they are doing is only a part time one or at college. It's a little dumb and sucky but I don't make the rules.

Yeah you can get it so long as your over 16
I'm not saying university students can't get it as they can but I mean it's weird that DSA should ask for it as normally you just need a diagnosis
Reply 7
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Have you contacted the university disability team as they are normally really supportive when it comes to applying for DSA (I mean they're supportive for other things as well) but they might be able to help you
When you say physical disability (you don't have to go into detail if you don't want) would it impact your movement around campus as they would be able to provide a printer and a taxi
I have DSA but because I'm autistic so don't know the accommodations they do for physical disabilities

It is a physical disability but it doesn’t impair my mobility
It is a physical disability but it doesn’t impair my mobility

Hmmm not sure what you will get then I’m afraid

If you haven't claimed PIP then you can still get DSA, I got DSA without PIP.
Have you applied for DSA?
Does your "doctors note" confirm your diagnosis?
How long ago were you diagnosed?

I had been diagnosed at birth which helpfully meant I had 18 years of evidence.
Then when my health conditions changed I had a hospital discharge document which detailed a newly-diagnosed condition.

Hi. I've been researching this but I don't have any actual experience in it. What I've learned from my research is that "Funding through DSAs should be at the top of an apex of support, underpinned by an inclusive environment, and individual reasonable adjustments where required." So I imagine you would not be entitled to it without reasonable adjustments. I suppose that means you need an EHC needs assessment if you have not yet got one. I think your university or education provider should signpost you to get the Local Authority to consider giving you an EHC assessment. Hope this is useful.
Original post by LivyJames
Hi. I've been researching this but I don't have any actual experience in it. What I've learned from my research is that "Funding through DSAs should be at the top of an apex of support, underpinned by an inclusive environment, and individual reasonable adjustments where required." So I imagine you would not be entitled to it without reasonable adjustments. I suppose that means you need an EHC needs assessment if you have not yet got one. I think your university or education provider should signpost you to get the Local Authority to consider giving you an EHC assessment. Hope this is useful.

You don't normally need an EHCP I know lots of people who recieve DSA support and never had an EHCP
You don't normally need an EHCP I know lots of people who recieve DSA support and never had an EHCP

OK, that's very useful for me to know but not helpful for you. I'm glad you got back to me. I really need to understand as much as I can about this if I'm going get this job. I hope you find a solution!
Hi. Have you gone to the SFE's Exceptional Case Team? They might be able to help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending