The Student Room Group

Large hand/shoulder bag or backpack for business course as a girl?

I will be studying international business/management in September in the UK and was wondering what type of bag I should buy? In highschool here in France almost every girl had a big handbag, those who carried around backpacks were unfortunately pretty much the unpopular girls. I know judging people solely by the bag they use is completely stupid bur realistically speaking I'm going to move to a whole ass new country and want to fit in I guess.

tldr, what kinda bag is most popular at uni for girls? Honestly if you don't bring a handbag would you be seen as nerdy and or unpopular or are backpacks an actual thing as in you can see 1 out of 2 girls walking down the hallway with backpacks on?
Reply 1
Honestly, no-one in the UK is going to care about what type of bag you use and plenty of girls do use backpacks.

Practically speaking, if you've got a lot to carry with folders and books, a backpack is better than putting all the weight on one shoulder. And think about how you'll be moving between campus and accommodation; in bad weather you want something that's not going to leak, and that might happen with a fashion-type handbag. I've seen people use a large messenger bag, but if you go for one of those, find one with a zip under the flap, so again they won't leak under the outside edges of the flap, and you won't spill everything if you put it down and it tips over.

All the best for your course! :u:
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Honestly, no-one in the UK is going to care about what type of bag you use and plenty of girls do use backpacks.

Practically speaking, if you've got a lot to carry with folders and books, a backpack is better than putting all the weight on one shoulder. And think about how you'll be moving between campus and accommodation; in bad weather you want something that's not going to leak, and that might happen with a fashion-type handbag. I've seen people use a large messenger bag, but if you go for one of those, find one with a zip under the flap, so again they won't leak under the outside edges of the flap, and you won't spill everything if you put it down and it tips over.

All the best for your course! :u:

Thank you for replying!
Original post by crushmeii
I will be studying international business/management in September in the UK and was wondering what type of bag I should buy? In highschool here in France almost every girl had a big handbag, those who carried around backpacks were unfortunately pretty much the unpopular girls. I know judging people solely by the bag they use is completely stupid bur realistically speaking I'm going to move to a whole ass new country and want to fit in I guess.

tldr, what kinda bag is most popular at uni for girls? Honestly if you don't bring a handbag would you be seen as nerdy and or unpopular or are backpacks an actual thing as in you can see 1 out of 2 girls walking down the hallway with backpacks on?

Hi @crushmeii

I preferred carrying a backpack over a handbag, mostly because it was easier and more comfortable. No one will care what sort of bag you have, so the most important thing is carry what you are most comfortable in.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @crushmeii

I preferred carrying a backpack over a handbag, mostly because it was easier and more comfortable. No one will care what sort of bag you have, so the most important thing is carry what you are most comfortable in.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Thank you!
Don't let the patriarchy fool you into believing you have to pick one or the other. You can wear both as you please. #Feminist
Reply 6
I find backpacks more convenient but I would rather have a backpack that also looks nice. If you want to get a backpack, I would recommend Doughnut Macaroon (dupe for Fjallraven).
I prefer a shoulder bag but only black, dark blue and brown shades. I don't prefer fancy colors of shoulder bags for office or business meetings. It makes me feel unprofessional and low confidence. These days I prefer this bag for professional me.

15-lot4238_1.jpg

Shoulder bag

Quick Reply

Latest