The Student Room Group

how much stuff did you bring to uni?

packing for uni as im moving on saturday! feel like i’ve got too much. how many boxes/bags did everyone bring?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
packing for uni as im moving on saturday! feel like i’ve got too much. how many boxes/bags did everyone bring?

Don't worry, I've probably got more (going into my 3rd year and I seem to have accumulated Quite A Lot Of Stuff)
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Don't worry, I've probably got more (going into my 3rd year and I seem to have accumulated Quite A Lot Of Stuff)

I told myself every year that I didn't need more stuff...moved out from 3rd year into a flat and managed to fill the entire place still :rolleyes:

If you haven't used it in the last 3 months then you probably don't need to pack it.

Don't overthink it though, there are so many guides online but it's really personal preference and you can always down size when you get there and go shopping for bits you didn't bring!

Hi there, nice to hear that you will be moving to University soon. :smile:

I would not worry about packing too much. As long as you will be able to transport it down, then most likely to will have enough room to store your things.

If you feel that you have too much stuff, you can always leave out the non-essentials or things that you can buy after arriving on campus.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
Anon,

Depending on how you are getting to university, base the amount you pack on that knowledge.

So if you are going by car, base it on how much you can get in the boot and on the back seat without making it impossible to see the rearview mirror.

If you are going by train, think about what you can reasonably carry without hurting your back, shoulders or hands. Lifts help and ideally you will meet some kind strangers, but think carefully about how you will get to the platform and off the platform and the distance you need to cover if you need to change trains.

If you are going by coach, check if there are any limits on how much luggage you can bring and how much you have to pay for additional luggage.

It’s good to travel light, though this is not always possible. Try and think about what’s an essential and what’s just something that would be nice to bring along. This will help you limit how much you bring.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hey there!

I literally filled up two cars of moving stuff in my first year. In hindsight I really didn't need to bring as much as I thought. For example, try to cut down the amount of jackets and coats you bring as well as shoes. You really won't wear as many as you bring and you'll end up wearing the same things again and again. I ended up overall bringing 2x kitchen boxes, 1x big suitcase of clothes, 1x small suitcase of clothes, a chest of drawers, a floor length mirror, a couple of jackets, my TV and other larger things like my fan. Sometimes putting things in bags is more efficient than putting things in boxes because you can tuck bags behind seats and by your feet during the drive.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there!

It all depends how far you are moving and how much help you've got moving in! When I moved in last year, I had a lot less boxes than I did when I was moving out at the end of the year - you don't realise how much you'll accumulate!

Pack smart ! I used vacuum bags to shrink all my clothes into a suitcase so they were easier to move in! Don't forget to bring things like coat hangers which are easy to forget!

For everything else, I managed to pack everything into 2-3 large boxes!

I hope this helps!

Rebecca - UCLan

According to my Dad, 13 banana boxes is too many and I need to cut down :giggle: :hide:
definitely trying to cut down stuff, but I appear to have acquired stuff whilst being at uni as well :eek4:

Original post by bl0bf1sh

:five: yasssssssssss. like how does it happen? :iiam:

I'm on a decluttering mission - Stacey Solomon would probably fall over if she saw how much junk I own :redface:
Original post by Chronoscope
According to my Dad, 13 banana boxes is too many and I need to cut down :giggle: :hide:
definitely trying to cut down stuff, but I appear to have acquired stuff whilst being at uni as well :eek4:

:five: yasssssssssss. like how does it happen? :iiam:

I'm on a decluttering mission - Stacey Solomon would probably fall over if she saw how much junk I own :redface:

I'm the worst for accumulating clutter! I forgot I had a blender and then bought a second blender!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending