The Student Room Group

How to deal with strange people on public transport

I was about to get on the bus at 11:30 pm when this bearded man started touching/poking me multiple times in the head and shoulders. At first I thought it was by accident but then he sat right behind me at the back of the bus and started laughing at me for no reason, at one point swearing loudly. I ended up in the awkward balance of trying to keep an eye on him in case he tried to touch me again without feeding him attention. As he was about to get off he was making weird faces, laughed at me again and briefly sat next to me at the edge of the seat and was on the verge of touching me again when I finally snapped and gave him a firm push on the back with my fist to ensure that he got out of my seat. Eventually he got off but even after that he was banging the side of the bus and making noises.He was clearly drunk and was holding a large glass of white wine in his right hand.It was just me, him, the driver and a few other passengers on the bus, some of whom stared but none of them said anything to me or him.Forgive me for being very naive, but has anyone had any similar experiences/is this sort of behaviour frequent at night and any tips for dealing with similar situations should they occur in the future?P.S. I am a young man in his 20s if that adds any context and this is the first time I've felt so uncomfortable on public transport.
Reply 1
Pretty sure this is semi-common behavior for drunk people late at night tho with how much u said he was laughing I'd say he had probably taken something too. In those situations I'm not sure there's alot i can do maybe try wearing headphones and placing a bag on an empty seat next to u but keep ur arm wrapped around the straps so the seat is taken n they can't sit down or sit with ur legs on across the seat?

This is something i see quite regularly due to where i live and sometimes there's nothing u can rlly do about it. Tho if it gets too out of hand try reporting it to the bus driver as they will normally kick said person off
Original post by Iswitii

This is something i see quite regularly due to where i live and sometimes there's nothing u can rlly do about it. Tho if it gets too out of hand try reporting it to the bus driver as they will normally kick said person off

Nothing you can do? you can tell them to **** off and consider standing up for yourself if someone keeps touching you

IME Bus drivers don't do much over petty stuff, if you're going to sit there passively how can you really expect anyone else to get involved for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending