The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Should I reject and reapply?

Hello! So I'm in a slight pickle. Have an offer to read History and French at Warwick after a change of course but I'm torn as to whether I should reapply. I absolutely love Warwick's campus and its location is very convenient for me, but as I originally applied for a different course, I wasn't looking at universities that specialized in these subjects specifically. I love the modules that are on offer for History and French but part of me wishes I had been more ambitious when originally applying. I received 3 A*s and an A in EPQ and so the only other universities I would consider would be Durham and Cambridge (although I know the chances of me getting a place would still be slim, and on top of that I'm uncertain that the university would be the best fit for me). I don't have any concrete gap year plans either and the current situation with the virus makes everything all the more uncertain.

Does anyone know whether this course would be academically rigorous/stimulating and whether I would get similar graduate prospects by going to Warwick as opposed to Durham (Cambridge is another matter)?
I personally wouldn't go on a gap year if you don't have any solid plans on what to do, job opportunities this year are looking a bit scarce, as is travelling without the fear of the gov suddenly announcing you need to self-quarantine when coming back.

Out of interest, what course were you originally thinking of doing?

I'm going to start my undergrad for single honours history at Warwick this September and I got pretty similar grades to you. Part of me did think I could have been more ambitious and applied to more top unis in my original 5 choices but I wouldn't have gone for Durham cos too far. Much like you, part of me did wish I should have applied to Cambridge, it wouldn't have hurt. But on second thoughts I'm not sure if Cambridge would be for me 🤔

Obviously because I haven't started yet, I don't know how academically stimulating the course is but I don't think employers wouldn't really distinguish between Warwick and Durham. As you said, Cambridge would probably be a bit different...

Best of luck
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I’d rather not do a course that I don’t want to do, especially if I didn’t apply for it in the first place. If you feel okay with settling for it, then go for it! You said that you really like the campus and you can see yourself going there...But if you’re not content, then don’t settle for it just because you really like the uni. Yes the uni plays a big part in decision making, but so does the course!

You clearly have some doubts, I’d say go for the gap year. Not only can you do work experience and internships to make yourself a more appealing candidate, but you can also look at courses in more detail so you’d be able to choose one you like, rather than settling for something else.

You also don’t want to go to uni filled with thoughts of ‘what if I did do the gap year and applied for a course I really wanted to do’ :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by neko no basu
I personally wouldn't go on a gap year if you don't have any solid plans on what to do, job opportunities this year are looking a bit scarce, as is travelling without the fear of the gov suddenly announcing you need to self-quarantine when coming back.

Out of interest, what course were you originally thinking of doing?

I'm going to start my undergrad for single honours history at Warwick this September and I got pretty similar grades to you. Part of me did think I could have been more ambitious and applied to more top unis in my original 5 choices but I wouldn't have gone for Durham cos too far. Much like you, part of me did wish I should have applied to Cambridge, it wouldn't have hurt. But on second thoughts I'm not sure if Cambridge would be for me 🤔

Obviously because I haven't started yet, I don't know how academically stimulating the course is but I don't think employers wouldn't really distinguish between Warwick and Durham. As you said, Cambridge would probably be a bit different...

Best of luck

Great to see another person going off to do history at Warwick! I originally applied for Law but I realized during lockdown after I had done more wider reading that it wasn't for me. Concerns about traveling/jobs/internships etc. are a definite worry, alongside the feeling that I could end up wasting a year. Part of me really wants to get straight back into education again and get stuck into research and independent learning, and all my teachers have advised me to take up my place over the uncertainty of COVID, applications and the fact that I've already had five months out of school (although I know people who have taken two gap years and have been fine so I'm taking this point with a pinch of salt).
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I’d rather not do a course that I don’t want to do, especially if I didn’t apply for it in the first place. If you feel okay with settling for it, then go for it! You said that you really like the campus and you can see yourself going there...But if you’re not content, then don’t settle for it just because you really like the uni. Yes the uni plays a big part in decision making, but so does the course!

You clearly have some doubts, I’d say go for the gap year. Not only can you do work experience and internships to make yourself a more appealing candidate, but you can also look at courses in more detail so you’d be able to choose one you like, rather than settling for something else.

You also don’t want to go to uni filled with thoughts of ‘what if I did do the gap year and applied for a course I really wanted to do’ :frown:

the 'what ifs' are something I'm worried about, although I feel that if I end up loving Warwick (after all, visiting a university and living there are two very different things) I won't have any regrets. Luckily, lockdown has given me lots of time for self-reflection and I know that this is the right course for me, and I made the decision to officially switch after I had received my results. It's such a difficult situation as there are pros and cons either way, although I feel that I won't truly know which was the best decision until I've committed.
Great to see another person going off to do history at Warwick! I originally applied for Law but I realized during lockdown after I had done more wider reading that it wasn't for me. Concerns about traveling/jobs/internships etc. are a definite worry, alongside the feeling that I could end up wasting a year. Part of me really wants to get straight back into education again and get stuck into research and independent learning, and all my teachers have advised me to take up my place over the uncertainty of COVID, applications and the fact that I've already had five months out of school (although I know people who have taken two gap years and have been fine so I'm taking this point with a pinch of salt).

Hmm tough one... if you were to reapply next year, would you be applying to Durham and Cambridge instead, and for History and French or...?
As long as you do something valuable in your gap year then I guess that's alright. But then the people you knew who did 2 gap years probably didn't do it at the time of a pandemic when there's fewer opportunities available.
Reply 6
Original post by neko no basu
Hmm tough one... if you were to reapply next year, would you be applying to Durham and Cambridge instead, and for History and French or...?
As long as you do something valuable in your gap year then I guess that's alright. But then the people you knew who did 2 gap years probably didn't do it at the time of a pandemic when there's fewer opportunities available.

I'd reapply for History and French. Durham (possibly Cambridge) and Warwick would be my top 2 (3) choices, so Warwick would definitely be a consideration. I've never visited Durham though so whilst I really like the look of the uni, it's difficult to tell whether it would be the right place for me. Also, I completely understand your point with the gap year situation, although if there's another serious spike, both gap year and university students would be affected. I think it's a matter of whether I want to apply for Durham or not because whilst I can give Cambridge a shot, I personally believe it's not worth taking a year out just to try, as my grades alone provide no rite of passage into that uni. So then it boils down to whether Durham is worth taking a year out for and what else I could gain from a year out under the current circumstances.
I've just finished at Warwick doing French - I actually had Durham down as my top choice, but then visited and realised it wasn't for me (mainly because the French course just didn't seem as strong as Warwick's). I've absolutely loved my time at Warwick - the French department is very strong in terms of teaching, but as well as that they actually care about their students which makes such a difference.

In terms of graduate opportunities, I think people tend to overestimate the power of an Oxbridge degree (particularly as an increasing number of employers are introducing CV blind recruitment or removing the degree requirement altogether). I have a job offer from a top firm in a very competitive industry and will admit that a large number of my peers went to Oxbridge, but I feel that's mainly because they're all smart, hard-working individuals (which is why they got to Oxbridge) rather than because of the uni name. That's not to say that you shouldn't take a year out and reapply if you're really set on it, more that Oxbridge is not in any way the be-all and end-all and that you have no need to doubt the rigour of French at Warwick.
Reply 8
I've just finished at Warwick doing French - I actually had Durham down as my top choice, but then visited and realised it wasn't for me (mainly because the French course just didn't seem as strong as Warwick's). I've absolutely loved my time at Warwick - the French department is very strong in terms of teaching, but as well as that they actually care about their students which makes such a difference.

In terms of graduate opportunities, I think people tend to overestimate the power of an Oxbridge degree (particularly as an increasing number of employers are introducing CV blind recruitment or removing the degree requirement altogether). I have a job offer from a top firm in a very competitive industry and will admit that a large number of my peers went to Oxbridge, but I feel that's mainly because they're all smart, hard-working individuals (which is why they got to Oxbridge) rather than because of the uni name. That's not to say that you shouldn't take a year out and reapply if you're really set on it, more that Oxbridge is not in any way the be-all and end-all and that you have no need to doubt the rigour of French at Warwick.

Thank you so much for this! A great insight. I’m going to defer my place for French at Warwick because I think I need a year out regardless for a multitude of reasons. If they won’t let me defer then you bet I’ll be reapplying to Warwick :smile:
Thank you so much for this! A great insight. I’m going to defer my place for French at Warwick because I think I need a year out regardless for a multitude of reasons. If they won’t let me defer then you bet I’ll be reapplying to Warwick :smile:

I’m glad to hear it! Best of luck wherever you end up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest