The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a training contract??

I’m aiming to be a solicitor and hope to get a training contract at a good regional firm. But i know that its VERY competitive and dont want to commit to that goal when its unlikely to happen!

For context, I go to a Russel Group uni, got good A level grades (A*A*A) but not doing so good at uni (first year) (so far in my assignments I’ve gotten low 2.1s/high 2.2s)

Next year I’m hoping to apply to some vacation schemes but what can I do to be successful in getting them?

Also, how likely is it to get a training contract if I do get a vacation scheme? And do you think vacation schemes will be cancelled due to Covid?
Most importantly focus on your degree as most firms require a 2:1 at least. Try secure some kind of leadership position within a relevant society.
Original post by m-k1
I’m aiming to be a solicitor and hope to get a training contract at a good regional firm. But i know that its VERY competitive and dont want to commit to that goal when its unlikely to happen!

For context, I go to a Russel Group uni, got good A level grades (A*A*A) but not doing so good at uni (first year) (so far in my assignments I’ve gotten low 2.1s/high 2.2s)

Next year I’m hoping to apply to some vacation schemes but what can I do to be successful in getting them?

Also, how likely is it to get a training contract if I do get a vacation scheme? And do you think vacation schemes will be cancelled due to Covid?

this is one of those 'how long is a length of string' questions
best way to figure it out is to find graduates from your uni or course and see what their CVs looked like. talk to them, see what they'd advise.
2.2s will hold you back though most regional firms will realistically be willing to tolerate them - though i've seen some weird stuff about wanting 'high 2.1s' from Pinsent Masons which seemed odd but that is not the norm
there's a ridic amount of advice in 'how to get a vacation scheme' online. go google it. you'll probably find 10 websites started by people who got a TC and think that they're the new TC-whisperer. this forum and corporate law academy probably have all the advice you'll ever need if you bother searching for it.
vacation schemes won't be cancelled due to covid. most firms have done them online this summer. they may have fewer spots on them if the firm cuts down its 2021 cycle intake.
It is very competitive to get a TC from any sort of firm, purely based on the fact that there are substantially more applicants than there are jobs. However, just because it is difficult and hard work does not mean it is impossible, so don't lose faith yet!

As others have said, do focus on getting a good 2:1 because low uni grades will sadly hold you back substantially.

You mention not wanting to commit to trying to get a TC for fear of failure, but frustratingly you do need to demonstrate that you are fully committed to a career in law in order to get a TC. When I did my first VS, I was rejected for a TC because they could tell that I still had a tiny bit of doubt about whether or not I was set on law (coincidentally this doubt was because I was worried about being set on such a competitive career). Even if you are their best applicant, firms will be very reluctant to offer a TC to someone who isn't completely sure about the career because there's much more risk of them dropping out during training or upon qualification - training contracts are very expensive for firms, therefore they'll want to be as sure as possible that their candidates will stay with them. When it comes to getting a VS, firms will have more leeway in accepting people who are perhaps not 100% certain on law but if you don't prove them wrong on this during the VS then they are very unlikely to make you an offer - this isn't just anecdotal, I've also been told this by grad rec at multiple firms.

The conversion rate of VS to TC does depend heavily on the firm - with some careful googling, you can get a good idea of how many vac schemers a firm might take. If you read the applicant FAQs on firms' websites these can also give a good idea of the conversion rate. Firms rarely seem to have a set number of TC places for VS and a set number for direct apps, if that helps. It's very difficult to know how things will look this year for vac schemes given covid, but firms still need to recruit trainees so it's in their interest to continue their schemes somehow (many are running them virtually). From what I've seen, winter schemes are still up in the air but firms seem confident in having in-person spring and summer schemes next year

In terms of what you can do to help get a vac scheme, there is no one thing you can do to ensure success but my top tips would be:
- Ensure that you have an authentic and original motivation for going into law - make sure that this is very specific to regional law, rather than high street or city
- Apply early - an increasing number of firms seems to be reviewing apps on a rolling basis, so applying early increases your chances of having your app read and hopefully accepted
- Have someone else read all apps before you send them (I'm always shocked at how much others cut out of my answers but it's so useful)
- Get in touch with someone at the firm - particularly if you've been offered an interview, I always have a look on LinkedIn and reach out to a current or future trainee (generally someone who went to my uni) and find out a bit more about the firm and what they're looking for
- If you haven't already got legal work experience, make this a priority - get in touch with local high street firms and ask to shadow a lawyer for a day or two (more difficult at the moment but worth a try!); get involved with your uni's law soc, particularly if they do some sort of pro bono; virtual vac schemes on InsideSherpa, particularly if the firm you're applying to run a scheme on there

Good luck and feel free to get in touch if you need any more help!
My daughter has just finished her training contract and is now a solicitor. TCs are difficult to come by, but be persistent and contact all of the local smaller firms to see if you can have any work experience (online). Try and do everything you can to increase your skills, do you have a law society you could contact to become a member of when you finish your training? This always looks good on your application to law firms for training contract positions. I hoe this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else. When firms open back up (my daughter is already working from the office), contact them to see if you can help.
Reply 5
Original post by h0pefulstudent
It is very competitive to get a TC from any sort of firm, purely based on the fact that there are substantially more applicants than there are jobs. However, just because it is difficult and hard work does not mean it is impossible, so don't lose faith yet!

As others have said, do focus on getting a good 2:1 because low uni grades will sadly hold you back substantially.

You mention not wanting to commit to trying to get a TC for fear of failure, but frustratingly you do need to demonstrate that you are fully committed to a career in law in order to get a TC. When I did my first VS, I was rejected for a TC because they could tell that I still had a tiny bit of doubt about whether or not I was set on law (coincidentally this doubt was because I was worried about being set on such a competitive career). Even if you are their best applicant, firms will be very reluctant to offer a TC to someone who isn't completely sure about the career because there's much more risk of them dropping out during training or upon qualification - training contracts are very expensive for firms, therefore they'll want to be as sure as possible that their candidates will stay with them. When it comes to getting a VS, firms will have more leeway in accepting people who are perhaps not 100% certain on law but if you don't prove them wrong on this during the VS then they are very unlikely to make you an offer - this isn't just anecdotal, I've also been told this by grad rec at multiple firms.

The conversion rate of VS to TC does depend heavily on the firm - with some careful googling, you can get a good idea of how many vac schemers a firm might take. If you read the applicant FAQs on firms' websites these can also give a good idea of the conversion rate. Firms rarely seem to have a set number of TC places for VS and a set number for direct apps, if that helps. It's very difficult to know how things will look this year for vac schemes given covid, but firms still need to recruit trainees so it's in their interest to continue their schemes somehow (many are running them virtually). From what I've seen, winter schemes are still up in the air but firms seem confident in having in-person spring and summer schemes next year

In terms of what you can do to help get a vac scheme, there is no one thing you can do to ensure success but my top tips would be:
- Ensure that you have an authentic and original motivation for going into law - make sure that this is very specific to regional law, rather than high street or city
- Apply early - an increasing number of firms seems to be reviewing apps on a rolling basis, so applying early increases your chances of having your app read and hopefully accepted
- Have someone else read all apps before you send them (I'm always shocked at how much others cut out of my answers but it's so useful)
- Get in touch with someone at the firm - particularly if you've been offered an interview, I always have a look on LinkedIn and reach out to a current or future trainee (generally someone who went to my uni) and find out a bit more about the firm and what they're looking for
- If you haven't already got legal work experience, make this a priority - get in touch with local high street firms and ask to shadow a lawyer for a day or two (more difficult at the moment but worth a try!); get involved with your uni's law soc, particularly if they do some sort of pro bono; virtual vac schemes on InsideSherpa, particularly if the firm you're applying to run a scheme on there

Good luck and feel free to get in touch if you need any more help!

Thank you so much, Ive never heard of InsideSherpa before and have just signed up! Do you know of any regional firms on there because I can't seem to find any?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have some work experience from DLA Piper from sixth form, would that be useful even though I would want to work at a regional firm? And can I reach out to big regional firms expecting to get some work experience there, or should I only look at high street firms?
Reply 6
Original post by Wossh
Most importantly focus on your degree as most firms require a 2:1 at least. Try secure some kind of leadership position within a relevant society.

Since I've just finished first year, would my 2.2 significantly hold me back when applying to vacation schemes?
Reply 7
k

Original post by EU Yakov
this is one of those 'how long is a length of string' questions
best way to figure it out is to find graduates from your uni or course and see what their CVs looked like. talk to them, see what they'd advise.
2.2s will hold you back though most regional firms will realistically be willing to tolerate them - though i've seen some weird stuff about wanting 'high 2.1s' from Pinsent Masons which seemed odd but that is not the norm
there's a ridic amount of advice in 'how to get a vacation scheme' online. go google it. you'll probably find 10 websites started by people who got a TC and think that they're the new TC-whisperer. this forum and corporate law academy probably have all the advice you'll ever need if you bother searching for it.
vacation schemes won't be cancelled due to covid. most firms have done them online this summer. they may have fewer spots on them if the firm cuts down its 2021 cycle intake.

Thanks so much!
Reply 8
Original post by Rebecca Breen, University of South Wales
My daughter has just finished her training contract and is now a solicitor. TCs are difficult to come by, but be persistent and contact all of the local smaller firms to see if you can have any work experience (online). Try and do everything you can to increase your skills, do you have a law society you could contact to become a member of when you finish your training? This always looks good on your application to law firms for training contract positions. I hoe this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else. When firms open back up (my daughter is already working from the office), contact them to see if you can help.

Thank you! Could I even contact bigger regional firms or just local firms?
Original post by m-k1

Easy for the ones at the top of the pile.
Near impossible for the ones at the bottom.
Original post by m-k1
Thank you so much, Ive never heard of InsideSherpa before and have just signed up! Do you know of any regional firms on there because I can't seem to find any?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have some work experience from DLA Piper from sixth form, would that be useful even though I would want to work at a regional firm? And can I reach out to big regional firms expecting to get some work experience there, or should I only look at high street firms?

No problem whatsoever! Maybe no regional firms on there yet but no harm keeping an eye out!

Honestly any legal work experience whatsoever will be valuable in demonstrating why you want to do law - I have used examples from high street law in MC interviews no problem :smile: anything you can get is good experience
Reply 11
Original post by h0pefulstudent
No problem whatsoever! Maybe no regional firms on there yet but no harm keeping an eye out!

Honestly any legal work experience whatsoever will be valuable in demonstrating why you want to do law - I have used examples from high street law in MC interviews no problem :smile: anything you can get is good experience

Ah ok! So can I simply just contact any high street firm asking them if I can do work experience there?
Original post by m-k1
Ah ok! So can I simply just contact any high street firm asking them if I can do work experience there?

It's always worth getting in touch with local firms asking for some work experience - I think I emailed 10 or so firms (most didn't get back or sent a generic email) and got 3 days' shadowing from that
Original post by 999tigger
Easy for the ones at the top of the pile.
Near impossible for the ones at the bottom.

Can I ask, who(or what group) of candidates are at the top of the pile?

I'm I correct in assuming those with numerous first year insight schemes,vac schemes, society positions, volunteering etc, and unis that firms target!?
Original post by Blancosdos

I'm I correct in assuming those with numerous first year insight schemes,vac schemes, society positions, volunteering etc, and unis that firms target!?

Elite unis, high 2:1 or better, amazing extra currics to stand out, very good soft skills.

Yes to the additional, but its better if you stand out rather than someone who has just been fluffing up their CV. Remember all your competitors are doing the same. If you get things in place you should be fine.

Ultimately the market will tell you where you stand in the pecking order based on your application success rate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Blancosdos

It’s not as simple as having a set number of society positions or extra curriculars and I think it can actually be unhelpful to think about it like that.

There is no such thing as a perfect candidate- just focus on getting work experience, the best grades you can and get involved in extra curriculars you’re actually interested in.

Remember also that your grades and activities are only enough to get you past the first stage. It doesn’t matter if you have straight firsts and lots of work experience- if you don’t perform well at the Watson Glazer assessment centre, you won’t get the job. So make sure to focus on these elements as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending