The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto

Tiny Toon Adventures

We get back in the 90s, guys! The best decade of cartoons of all time (in my opinion!!). And after Animaniacs, it is another Spielberg classic: The Tiny Toon Adventures! With the main characters of the series, Buster and Babs Bunny, each episodes are almost divided into two or three own tales with toons of their own. And as a cartoon meant to be in this period of time, it made use of cartoon violence and slapstick. But the unique feature of this cartoon were the parodies to the Hollywood films at that time and sometimes delve into ethical and moral conflicts (ecomony and crime for instance).

Once again, I am back in my nostalgic memories: in those ones, a cute child existed and stood early up in the morning to turn the television on just to see the Tiny Toons. Sure, I didn't only wake up for it, but for cartoon series in which malarky and nonsense exist in particular. And Tiny Toons had a lot of this kind of humor. Falling from a precipice? You can bet on! an anvil falling on someone's head? Of course! That must not be missed. And be honest, who did not like it when toons were involved in a brawl or got cross with antagonists? That gave us a smile everytime. All the more when the good guys (Buster Bunny) turn the table to their advantage and outsmart the bad guys (Montana Max). Simple, but hilarious. For people who grown up with both Tiny Toons and the Looney Tunes, they told that this cartoon is another Looney generation. Indeed, the characters from the Looneys behave like adults and as such they even teach the Tinys at the ACME University to become funny. But I disagree: although the slapstick is what they have in common, the Tinys have their subtle moments in the episodes whenever social issues are shown in cartoon's view.

Tiny Toon Adventures is a cartoon series that had never lost the charme. I still like it as an adult and don't think it's silly humor at all. And no adult would lose the maturity to take a look at this brilliant Spielberg production. Therefore it goes the same for the Tiny Toons: just because it is a kids TV show, it does not mean that adults are excluded, but are welcome to watch.

That theme song is so nostalgic to me! It was definitely a must watch when I was younger. :biggrin:

Disney's Doug

We all know this familiar moment when blanking the reality around us out begins: we are daydreaming a while, forget who we really are and where we are and a fantasy world with a fictional scenario gets real in our mind, even if it is just for a short seconds of time. And hey, who still remembers that we were written a diary when we went to school just to sum up our day in a review? Okay, to be fair, hardly no one of us did it, but Doug Funny did! I am sure that you already guessed it: this time I am talking about Disney's Doug!

Can a young and ordinary student like Doug Funny, who is Quail Man, Smash Adams and Race Canyon in his daydreams, a boring boy? I don't think so. He is a teenager who has to cope with issues in everyday and school life everyone of us did. Doug is like us, in a way. That he is falling in love with Patti reminisces our first love; the trouble Doug is in because he always gets cross with Roger, the antagonist, is a reminder for our unpleasant, bad and sometimes embarrassing moments. And best friends like Skeeter show us that there are people we can count on. Is all this not good enough for a cartoon? It is even better. All the issues he is confronted and anxious of almost because of his bad imaginations in his mind goes well at the end. How tough the fuss seems to be, Doug always find a solution or it comes to this to get along, as if his daydreams summon a miracle for clearance. The happy end is perfect. Binged to the episodes gives me a smile, maybe because I had a tough time now and then and sympathise with Doug, who knows? In any case it is a good cartoon series and I am glad that I didn't miss this one as teenager.

Doug is different in comparison to another cartoons I am used to watch. It has no eccentric and exaggerated humor; there is no superhero plot and no characters with superpowers around. He is like us: a merely character in a real world with real problems. Despite these things I still appreciate this Disney production. It is Doug himself and of course his adventurous daydreams I like. A matter of taste, I know, but especially for Disney lovers it is worth to give a try. Have fun with Funny! :biggrin:
Anybody remember Johnny Bravo?
Original post by Dark Nights
Anybody remember Johnny Bravo?

I do! is it the muscular guy in a black shirt with a cool and tough behaviour and blonde gelled hair? who wears sun glasses? how can I forget!
(edited 3 years ago)

Disney's Doug

We all know this familiar moment when blanking the reality around us out begins: we are daydreaming a while, forget who we really are and where we are and a fantasy world with a fictional scenario gets real in our mind, even if it is just for a short seconds of time. And hey, who still remembers that we were written a diary when we went to school just to sum up our day in a review? Okay, to be fair, hardly no one of us did it, but Doug Funny did! I am sure that you already guessed it: this time I am talking about Disney's Doug!

Can a young and ordinary student like Doug Funny, who is Quail Man, Smash Adams and Race Canyon in his daydreams, a boring boy? I don't think so. He is a teenager who has to cope with issues in everyday and school life everyone of us did. Doug is like us, in a way. That he is falling in love with Patti reminisces our first love; the trouble Doug is in because he always gets cross with Roger, the antagonist, is a reminder for our unpleasant, bad and sometimes embarrassing moments. And best friends like Skeeter show us that there are people we can count on. Is all this not good enough for a cartoon? It is even better. All the issues he is confronted and anxious of almost because of his bad imaginations in his mind goes well at the end. How tough the fuss seems to be, Doug always find a solution or it comes to this to get along, as if his daydreams summon a miracle for clearance. The happy end is perfect. Binged to the episodes gives me a smile, maybe because I had a tough time now and then and sympathise with Doug, who knows? In any case it is a good cartoon series and I am glad that I didn't miss this one as teenager.

Doug is different in comparison to another cartoons I am used to watch. It has no eccentric and exaggerated humor; there is no superhero plot and no characters with superpowers around. He is like us: a merely character in a real world with real problems. Despite these things I still appreciate this Disney production. It is Doug himself and of course his adventurous daydreams I like. A matter of taste, I know, but especially for Disney lovers it is worth to give a try. Have fun with Funny! :biggrin:

Seems this one didn't leave much of an impression on me; I remember watching it, and especially the catchy opening theme, but I wouldn't have a clue what happened in it all these years later if I hadn't read your description. I guess weirder, exaggerated plots and characters stick in my memory more!
(edited 3 years ago)
I do! is it the muscular guy in a black shirt with a cool and tough behaviour and blonde gelled hair? who wears sun glasses? how can I forget!

Lol, that's him. I used to watch the Cramp Twins, as well as Arthur, Dexter's Laboratory, Power Puff Girls, Cat and Mouse and of course, Tom and Jerry. My childhood was full of wonderful cartoons.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Seems this one didn't leave much of an impression on me; I remember watching it, and especially the catchy opening theme, but I wouldn't have a clue what happened in it all these years later if I hadn't read your description. I guess weirder, exaggerated plots and characters stick in my memory more!

That is why this review exist to remember people like you. And as I said Doug is a matter of taste. By the way do you know Shnookums and Meat?

Lol, that's him. I used to watch the Cramp Twins, as well as Arthur, Dexter's Laboratory, Power Puff Girls, Cat and Mouse and of course, Tom and Jerry. My childhood was full of wonderful cartoons.

If I am right, Johnny Bravo is a prodcution of Hannah Barbera that stands for good oldies (Flint Stones, Yogi Bear, Top Cat and Jetsons to name a few). Cartoons were definetely better at that time.
(edited 3 years ago)
That is why this review exist to remember people like you. And as I said Doug is a matter of taste. By the way do you know Shnookums and Meat?

If I am right, Johnny Bravo is a prodcution of Hannah Barbera that stands for good oldies (Flint Stones, Yogi Bear, Top Cat and Jetsons to name a few). Cartoons were definetely better at that time.

You can certainly say that again. Most TV shows were better back in the day, especially EastEnders. Yes, the HB team wrote quite a few cartoons, which enlightened my childhood.
You can certainly say that again. Most TV shows were better back in the day, especially EastEnders. Yes, the HB team wrote quite a few cartoons, which enlightened my childhood.

Would you agree with me that animated series with CGI graphics are dull, because they all look the same? it is horrible in any case for me.

He would so be cancelled in modern times. I member him, cow & chicken a lot
What do you make of the live-action Powerpuff Girls TV show coming to The CW channel? It will follow the girls as adults and Donald Faison (Dr Turk in Scrubs) will be playing Professor Utonium.

https://screencrush.com/new-powerpuff-girls-first-photo/

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/powerpuff-girls-pilot-cw-donald-faison-professor-utonium-1234940894/
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by asif007
What do you make of the live-action Powerpuff Girls TV show coming to The CW channel? It will follow the girls as adults and Donald Faison (Dr Turk in Scrubs) will be playing Professor Utonium.

https://screencrush.com/new-powerpuff-girls-first-photo/

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/powerpuff-girls-pilot-cw-donald-faison-professor-utonium-1234940894/

I like donald faison and liked chloe wang (bennet) as quake in agents of shield. Dove Cameron Im not keen on her live action stuff (doesnt help she's had way too much work done when she didnt need it in last few years) but she is a good voice actress. the actress playing buttercup have no idea about tbh.
Personally Ill give the series a pass although mercifully its a sequel and not a remake, which on 2nd thoughts may be worth investigating.
(edited 3 years ago)
Would you agree with me that animated series with CGI graphics are dull, because they all look the same? it is horrible in any case for me.

i agree, im not keen on 3dcg as I feel it doesnt feel as fluid

Super Mario Brothers Super Show

This Cartoon review is dedicated to all the gamers around, the Super Mario fans in particular. And here it is, the introduction of Super Mario Bros. Super Show! but is this really necessary? everyone knows this videogame character and this cartoon series based on it: Mario along with his brother Luigi, Toad and Princess Toadstool (and sometimes Yoshi) go through the adventures in Mushroom Kingdom with Bowser and his Koopas as the opponents. Before and after the cartoon a plumbing sitcom with real plumbers called Mario and Luigi living in Brooklyn appears.

I was very keen on the Mario games, all the more in times I did not own a console to play this gaming series. It felt like Mario's spirit: his battles with Bowser and his kids and the subordinates, the power ups he got, riding on Yoshi this cartoon really made fun as a Mario fanboy I was at that time. A good replacement for a dissappointed young child who would love to play the games at all costs. And it didn't even bother me that a sitcom with a real Mario and Luigi was shown in the cartoon. Some gags and laughers before the show begins that is alright. It is been a long while I was watching the plumbers, so long that I did not even remember that the last thirteen episodes of the series were replaced by Link and his fight against Ganon (another videogame adaption). Despite these circumstances some priceless and nice pieces of memories left and they give me always a smile when I remember back. That is what Super Mario Bros Super Show stood for: a period of time made for passionate gamers. And I enjoyed this time!

Definetely a good cartoon for children to watch. And for adults still a ride on the timeline back to the 80s and 90s. A time when the gaming was different, but exciting. And this cartoon series made a great contribution without a doubt.

@quasa What about you? did you like cartoons to videogame series?

(edited 2 years ago)

Super Mario Brothers Super Show

This Cartoon review is dedicated to all the gamers around, the Super Mario fans in particular. And here it is, the introduction of Super Mario Bros. Super Show! but is this really necessary? everyone knows this videogame character and this cartoon series based on it: Mario along with his brother Luigi, Toad and Princess Toadstool (and sometimes Yoshi) go through the adventures in Mushroom Kingdom with Bowser and his Koopas as the opponents. Before and after the cartoon a plumbing sitcom with real plumbers called Mario and Luigi living in Brooklyn appears.

I was very keen on the Mario games, all the more in times I did not own a console to play this gaming series. It felt like Mario's spirit: his battles with Bowser and his kids and the subordinates, the power ups he got, riding on Yoshi this cartoon really made fun as a Mario fanboy I was at that time. A good replacement for a dissappointed young child who would love to play the games at all costs. And it didn't even bother me that a sitcom with a real Mario and Luigi was shown in the cartoon. Some gags and laughers before the show begins that is alright. It is been a long while I was watching the plumbers, so long that I did not even remember that the last thirteen episodes of the series were replaced by Link and his fight against Ganon (another videogame adaption). Despite these circumstances some priceless and nice pieces of memories left and they give me always a smile when I remember back. That is what Super Mario Bros Super Show stood for: a period of time made for passionate gamers. And I enjoyed this time!

Definetely a good cartoon for children to watch. And for adults still a ride on the timeline back to the 80s and 90s. A time when the gaming was different, but exciting. And this cartoon series made a great contribution without a doubt.

@quasa What about you? did you like cartoons to videogame series?

I liked yhe sonic series' growing up abd eartgworm jim. Re mario, not as much of a fan as sonic but remember this from the mario cartoon

Original post by quasa
I liked yhe sonic series' growing up abd eartgworm jim. Re mario, not as much of a fan as sonic but remember this from the mario cartoon

You are talking about The Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, huh? there are some animated series with the blue hedgehog, even an anime (Sonic X).
You are talking about The Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, huh? there are some animated series with the blue hedgehog, even an anime (Sonic X).

Loved adventures if sonic the hedgehog. Also liked sonic underground as well but not as much as adventures. Sonic x is 00s and anime but loved it when i was in year 7 /8
(edited 2 years ago)

Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog

The next cartoon about a videogame mascot: Sonic. More exactly: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog! :smile: and as in the video games and another animted Sonic series the blue and super fast hedgehog thwarts the evil plans of Robotnik (note: Eggman) who intends to rule about the planet Mobius. Tails, Sonic's best friend and a fox who can fly with his two tails, supports him, while Robotnik has his robotic, but silly subordinates Scratch and Grounder to stop the two.

Among all the Sonic cartoons, this is the one I liked most of all! the secret? that can be said in three words: slapstick, slapstick and slapstick! Not really the thing that matches to Sonic, but I don't care! The rivalry between Sonic and Robotnik is like a cats-and-mouse-game: Robotnik invents a trap to catch Sonic or prepares a big project to conquer the world; Robotnik gets the upperhand first to lose against the hedgehog after all. As a rule the henchmen Scratch and Grounder botch the plans in a way that can't be bested in terms of incompetence and stupidity. :lol: Funny as hell! that is the only reason why a series to Sonic coined in my mind. I was a big fan of hilarious cartoons and couldn't bear the serious productions. At the end of an episode, a clip with Sonic's 'good' advices called Sonic Says finished the adventures of Sonic and Tails in order to teach the young people a lesson how to behave correctly. Although I think that the majority of the advices weren't helpful and just rubbish.

Although I already like the serious Sonic cartoons and even prefer them, I get a smile when I just see the clips to the episodes. For everyone who like silly gags, there is nothing wrong with this blue hedgehog for the fanboys and fangirls, however I think that this not for adult's taste of entertainment.

@quasa maybe you have your memories to this special Sonic cartoon too.

Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog

The next cartoon about a videogame mascot: Sonic. More exactly: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog! :smile: and as in the video games and another animted Sonic series the blue and super fast hedgehog thwarts the evil plans of Robotnik (note: Eggman) who intends to rule about the planet Mobius. Tails, Sonic's best friend and a fox who can fly with his two tails, supports him, while Robotnik has his robotic, but silly subordinates Scratch and Grounder to stop the two.

Among all the Sonic cartoons, this is the one I liked most of all! the secret? that can be said in three words: slapstick, slapstick and slapstick! Not really the thing that matches to Sonic, but I don't care! The rivalry between Sonic and Robotnik is like a cats-and-mouse-game: Robotnik invents a trap to catch Sonic or prepares a big project to conquer the world; Robotnik gets the upperhand first to lose against the hedgehog after all. As a rule the henchmen Scratch and Grounder botch the plans in a way that can't be bested in terms of incompetence and stupidity. :lol: Funny as hell! that is the only reason why a series to Sonic coined in my mind. I was a big fan of hilarious cartoons and couldn't bear the serious productions. At the end of an episode, a clip with Sonic's 'good' advices called Sonic Says finished the adventures of Sonic and Tails in order to teach the young people a lesson how to behave correctly. Although I think that the majority of the advices weren't helpful and just rubbish.

Although I already like the serious Sonic cartoons and even prefer them, I get a smile when I just see the clips to the episodes. For everyone who like silly gags, there is nothing wrong with this blue hedgehog for the fanboys and fangirls, however I think that this not for adult's taste of entertainment.

@quasa maybe you have your memories to this special Sonic cartoon too.

Absolutely loved this. Whilst i maintain sonic x is the best sonic cartoon (despite my disdain for the human characters) , this brings so many happy memories of childhood. Personal fav episodes were the musician episode with a country western singer making a vocal version of the sonic game theme, as well as the one with a robotic Arnold schwazenegger.

Also theme song was good, likewise the intro music for sonic sez.

Fun fact, the voice over actor for sonic is an actor called jaleel white, who is best known for playing the character urkel on the sitcom family matters.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Absolutely loved this. Whilst i maintain sonic x is the best sonic cartoon (despite my disdain for the human characters) (...)

Also theme song was good, likewise the intro music for sonic sez.

(...)

I am not sure, guess @AngryJellyfish knows the plot better than me, but I remember me that the sonic characters in Sonic X were warped into the human world and tried everything to get back in their world. I think so.

Sonic Sez/Says had exactly the intro of the first two Sonic games. That is awesome! :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest