The Student Room Group

English Lit, English Lang. or Business Studies as a 4th subject? (for Law)

Hey all.
I've been pestering you all at TSR with a tonne of questions recently but it'll be over soon as school starts next week. :biggrin:
Originally I was taking Business studies as a 4th subject along with Economics, Law & Mathematics however was advised not to by both those here on TSR and a few friends. Instead, I've got the option of Accounting, English Lang, and English Lit. I don't wanna take Accounting either since it's a soft subject, much like B. Studies.
My English teacher is asking me to take English Lit, obviously, since it's the most respected out of the 3 options. I'm a little double minded since I'm not sure how much workload is involved & I don't wanna sacrifice my 3 core subjects for a 4th one.
Now, my first focus is to pursue a mathematical degree (A&F or similar) but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket & actually am quite interested in Law too for higher education. That's the reason I'm taking Law. I know Law unis want essay subjects, but Economics & Law are already 2 essay-based subjects. So;
1. Is it worth taking a 4th subject? I do feel English Lit. especially would be beneficial for top unis should I decide to apply for law.
2. If I decide to not take English lit. instead choosing lang, is English Lang. a better choice than Business studies?
(edited 3 years ago)
4 subjects won't give you an advantage in your ucas application; you're better off using the time you'd commit to a 4th a level doing things to demonstrate your interest in law instead. i'd stick to doing 3 subjects. your combination seems fine to me as long as they're all subjects you're interested in or enjoy.
i did a-level english lit and it's a lot of work but so are most a-level subjects. you need to be well organised in that you're reading the set texts at a good speed and doing plenty of practice essays.
Original post by absolutelysprout
4 subjects won't give you an advantage in your ucas application; you're better off using the time you'd commit to a 4th a level doing things to demonstrate your interest in law instead. i'd stick to doing 3 subjects. your combination seems fine to me as long as they're all subjects you're interested in or enjoy.
i did a-level english lit and it's a lot of work but so are most a-level subjects. you need to be well organised in that you're reading the set texts at a good speed and doing plenty of practice essays.

Thank you for the quick answer. Would it be better to take English Lit as a 3rd subject instead and shift Law to 4th, dropping Law if it becomes too burdensome? I have heard unis do prefer E. Lit over Law.
Original post by anaveragekid
Thank you for the quick answer. Would it be better to take English Lit as a 3rd subject instead and shift Law to 4th, dropping Law if it becomes too burdensome? I have heard unis do prefer E. Lit over Law.

no worries!
yeah i've heard some unis don't like people doing a level law but it really depends on the institution so it's best to research their requirements or contact admissions. if you're more interested in law, then stick with it. english lit is hard work but rewarding; definitely helps if you have an interest in the texts you're studying and you're willing to be doing practice essays regularly.

Quick Reply

Latest