The Student Room Group

Pencil or pen for structures?

Greetings,

I was wondering, what should I use to draw organic structures, especially skeletals? Sometimes a blue pen to draw specific atoms/bonds helps with answers though (I can just refer to it as the blue bond)

And also, if a question asks to draw a structure (not structural formula specifically), is it okay if I draw a skeletal structure? I love skeletal formulas - they look neat :biggrin:
I preferred a sharp HB pencil - as then you can erase if necessary! If you need to refer to a bond you can usually use the carbon numbering system eg "the bond between carbons 2 and 3" or label with numbers so "bond 1".

Usually skeletal is fine is not specified I think, but you can be penalised for giving too little information (ie skeletal instead of structural) so worth bearing in mind? Check your markschemes :smile:
Reply 2
Definitely pencil.
Reply 3
In an exam I would use a pen. I have marked many many candidates scripts where they have used pencil, erased it and drawn it again over the top of where they initially did it, but the scanners used are soooo good that they pick up the pencil lines even after rubbing out.

I have attached an example - the right hand C on the left hand structure has how many atoms attached to it? How about the right hand H?. It can go seriously wrong when bonds appear as the line you want to be seen and a second, i.e. double, bond is still visible from the pencil-drawn bond.

So, what should you do? I hear you ask. Do it in pen and if you make a mistake CROSS IT OUT and do it again. And/or write a little message to your examiner explaining what you've done wrong and/or what you meant to put.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
In an exam I would use a pen. I have marked many many candidates scripts where they have used pencil, erased it and drawn it again over the top of where they initially did it, but the scanners used are soooo good that they pick up the pencil lines even after rubbing out.

I have attached an example - the right hand C on the left hand structure has how many atoms attached to it? How about the right hand H?. It can go seriously wrong when bonds appear as the line you want to be seen and a second, i.e. double, bond is still visible from the pencil-drawn bond.

So, what should you do? I hear you ask. Do it in pen and if you make a mistake CROSS IT OUT and do it again. And/or write a little message to your examiner explaining what you've done wrong and/or what you meant to put.

whoa! I'll definitely go for a pen then! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster

Well, about the second ques. Let's say, in the attachment, they asked to draw two isomers. They didn't specifically ask for a structural formula. Is it okay if I draw a skeletal here?
For revision/class work I would go for a sharp pencil (I like using mechanical pencils), especially if you're making revision resources, as you want it to be as neat as possible so you can re-read it and go over it. You could then go over it in pen.
For exams though, you will be asked to use pen anyway, so just use pen and cross it out if you want to change your answer.
Reply 7
Original post by vyper47
Well, about the second ques. Let's say, in the attachment, they asked to draw two isomers. They didn't specifically ask for a structural formula. Is it okay if I draw a skeletal here?

It might depend on your exam board, OCR A (wot I teach) don't care if they don't specify which style of structure to use (in fact a mix and match is fine).
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
It might depend on your exam board, OCR A (wot I teach) don't care if they don't specify which style of structure to use (in fact a mix and match is fine).

Thanks. I think mine (CIE) won't care, too, because they're really similar to OCR, right?
Reply 9
Original post by vyper47
Thanks. I think mine (CIE) won't care, too, because they're really similar to OCR, right?

Read a past paper MS, OCR A state:

"ALLOW any combination of skeletal OR structural OR displayed formula as long as unambiguous"

...when they don't care. If CIE have similar wording, then all is gravy.
Reply 10
nice
Original post by Pigster

That's interesting to know. I am going into year 13 and so I will definitely use pen in the A-Level Chemistry exam! I've always used pencil and had no idea the scanners were so good at detecting this stuff!

I bet a lot candidates lose marks on this question not due to drawing the wrong structure but the scanner picking up what has been erased. :shock:
Original post by 5hyl33n
That's interesting to know. I am going into year 13 and so I will definitely use pen in the A-Level Chemistry exam! I've always used pencil and had no idea the scanners were so good at detecting this stuff!

I bet a lot candidates lose marks on this question not due to drawing the wrong structure but the scanner picking up what has been erased. :shock:

Examiners are meant to use their judgement, but examiners don't agree. You shouldn't be gaining or losing marks based on someone's judgement.

Also, don't forget that you can write your answers at the back if you mess up. I'd suggest a nice note telling the examiner that your answer isn't where they'd expect it and where they should look - page numbers are always nice.

Quick Reply

Latest