The Student Room Group

Stationary and bag essentials for Uni (Commuting from home)

Hi, I am staying at home for uni and I will be commuting from home, What stationary and bag essentials do i need to bring to university?
(undergraduate student 2023)

Edit: I am studying animation
(edited 1 year ago)
Your laptop and/or ipad, heaphones/earphones, waterbottle, food, journal/planner, a couple pens/pencils, and a calculator if you're in STEM. Oh and maybe a book if you've got a train ride.
Original post by zotrain123
Hi, I am staying at home for uni and I will be commuting from home, What stationary and bag essentials do i need to bring to university?

Hey there!
You usually need to bring less than you think to university, I usually just carry a tote bag round with me and it carries everything. On a usual full university day, I carry round: my laptop and case, a pouch with my laptop and phone chargers in incase of emergency, my purse with all ID's and student ID's in, a pencil case with only pens, pencils and coloured pens in, a notebook with my notes from the weekly reading in, a diary for important things like deadline dates and reading due dates and also essentials such as my keys, lip balm, airpods and a water bottle.

For animation specifically I'd suggest a blank notepad (not lined), pencils of different strengths (drawing pencils), maybe a light box but specifically your laptop will be the most important thing. Usually universities will supply an Adobe CreativeCloud subscription but if yours doesn't then this might be useful for you to look into.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi @zotrain123 :h:

Some great suggestions on here, a compact umbrella might be a good idea too! I also like carrying around my own little reusable cutlery set as it sometimes comes in handy if I'm having lunch on the go/dinner out! A nice hand sanitiser too.

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Thank you all so much! It can be hard to find stuff like this catered for a computer based art course

Definitely chargers! A powerbank is also useful - hate going anywhere without mine :yep: I probably overpack or I just keep most of my daily essentials in my rucksack but I carry an umbrella, emergency medication e.g. paracetamol, tic tacs, hair ties, waterbottle, spare pen/pencils. Also if you wear glasses like me you might want to bring a small glasses cleaner.
(edited 1 year ago)
Heya!
I commute about an 1hr15 each way to uni. After a while you realise you need a lot less than you would think. Your laptop and charger, just the charging cable for your phone (odds are someone has a plug), a book (or whatever you like doing during your commute). I often find myself using commute time to catch up on readings etc. If you have a tablet you could buy books on there, a little less clunky in the bag. A water bottle is definitetly an essential. I recommend 500-750ml ones as it doesn't add too much weight to your bag. Depending on the size of your bag I would also recommend a travel size umbrella or a foldable raincoat always lingering in your bag. They are honestly lifesavers. A notebook and pen are also must haves personally but that is really a preference. Some cash around £30 pounds hidden away in your bag will definitely be a life saver on occasion, sometimes there might be an issue with your phone, lost card or anyhting (keep it seperate from your wallet). Your wallet, house keys, and student ID are essentials that I'd advise always stay in your bag because they can be misplaced so easily.And a small snack/ protein bar always tucked away never hurts.

These are the essentials that are in my bag for my daily commute.
Hope this is useful.
Logan - Student Ambassador, The London Interdisciplinary School
Reply 7

nearly the end of my first year and I commute 1hr so here's what i take:

-laptop/ipad
-chargers
-portable charger
-headphones
-waterbottle
-hand sanitiser
-snacks
-tissue
-breath spray (for dry mouth)