The Student Room Group

Should i focus on my mental health or get a job?

My mental health has been getting worse recently, which include anxiety, ocd, and depression. And i need to get a job to start bringing money in to help support myself and my future plans as i have decided to not return to college this year, i feel like getting a job could help bring me out of myself and help me ignore my new problems but then im also afraid that i will end up over looking my mental health which will eventually lead to it getting worse. should i focus on myself and wait a couple months before getting a job or is it unnecessary and am i over worrying?
Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Do you drop off college due to mental health issues? What caused it?
Original post by Anonymous
My mental health has been getting worse recently, which include anxiety, ocd, and depression. And i need to get a job to start bringing money in to help support myself and my future plans as i have decided to not return to college this year, i feel like getting a job could help bring me out of myself and help me ignore my new problems but then im also afraid that i will end up over looking my mental health which will eventually lead to it getting worse. should i focus on myself and wait a couple months before getting a job or is it unnecessary and am i over worrying?
Thank you for your help :smile:

Will a couple of months make that much difference?
Are you getting medical help?
How long has it been going on?

If you get a job would you be able to do it?
Imo apply for the jobs now and work on mh at the same time.
If you get offered jobs, then its your choice to take them.
Your MH sounds as though it needs a lot of work.
I have suffered from quite severe anxiety and depression over the past few years (I have EUPD) and one thing I can tell you for definite is that keeping your mind occupied is incredibly important. The hardest thing is going to be maintaining a balance between caring for your mental health and supporting yourself financially.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry or that "it gets better" or anything like that because it's disingenuous. It's most likely that what you're going through is your mind having an aversion to what it sees as the responsibilities of adulthood. The good news is that this can be overcome and even if it's something on a more fundamental level, with practice you can live a normal, functioning life.

If you suffer from high levels of stress, try not to seek constant distraction as it only pushes the can down the road. Take time everyday to apply to jobs, don't let it get you down if you aren't getting replies (there's plenty in the same boat). Try to make your bed every morning and have a shower, do laundry, cook food. Perhaps you could write yourself notes to push yourself into taking these steps. If you spend long enough pretending to be a normal person, you might find that you don't have to pretend anymore.
OP here (forgot my account details so i've made a new account Dx) I have suffered with my mental health for about 8 years, ocd, anxiety, intrusive thoughts and depression. I think its getting worse with age. I'm 19 years old now and have dropped out of college due to family circumstances and also just getting bored of it and finding it all useless. My sleep routine is all over the place i go to bed at 6-9am most nights or stay up till im to tired to stay awake, sometimes i'll just sleep if there is nothing to do and if i feel tired a little, i would typically go to college on a maximum of 4 hours sleep cause i didnt want to go the night before, but once im there im ok being there its just the anxiety of going i think. I know i'd be able to do a job and possibly enjoy it once i get in the rhythm but im worried of neglecting myself cause i tend to get focused on one thing at a time. I apply for jobs every now and again when i feel upbeat but i typically end up talking myself out of it due to my anxiety and dislike of unfamiliar things. the thing is i feel like im digging a hole every time i succumb to my mental health and like im just gunna end up a really rubbish person. I feel conflicted on whats best for me. maybe im just being too negative.

Quick Reply

Latest