The Student Room Group

Haircut advice!

Heyyy,

So I’m getting my haircut tomorrow and just looking for general advice.

This is more for fun than anything else so don’t take it too seriously :smile:

I currently have auburn hair and it reaches the middle of my back. I’m going to cut it to around shoulder length. I have a fairly round face and fair skin and freckles.

Any tips on good haircuts that would maybe suit me? Just for fun 😂
Reply 1
ooo i love haircuts! i recently cut my long hair and now have a bob with side bangs (i love it :smile:)
advice i would give is:
1. ask for the hairdresser's opinion, but don't feel like you need to follow it. they have given countless amounts of haircuts to people with various face shapes, so for example if you're considering getting a full on straight fringe, ask them if they think it would suit your face shape!! they might be thinking 'hmm, i think a rounded fringe would suit them better, but I won't tell them because they're the client'.
2. do a lot of research online, and collect a couple of photos of hairstyles that interest you.
3. Then SHOW them to the hairdresser, instead of just describing the look you're going for!
4. Don't be afraid to try something new! Hair grows quickly, it's length is temporary yet it has so much power. Don't worry about it not suiting you as you can always find ways to overcome it.
Have fun and let us know how it goes :smile:
Original post by boeuf
ooo i love haircuts! i recently cut my long hair and now have a bob with side bangs (i love it :smile:)
advice i would give is:
1. ask for the hairdresser's opinion, but don't feel like you need to follow it. they have given countless amounts of haircuts to people with various face shapes, so for example if you're considering getting a full on straight fringe, ask them if they think it would suit your face shape!! they might be thinking 'hmm, i think a rounded fringe would suit them better, but I won't tell them because they're the client'.
2. do a lot of research online, and collect a couple of photos of hairstyles that interest you.
3. Then SHOW them to the hairdresser, instead of just describing the look you're going for!
4. Don't be afraid to try something new! Hair grows quickly, it's length is temporary yet it has so much power. Don't worry about it not suiting you as you can always find ways to overcome it.
Have fun and let us know how it goes :smile:

Ahhh thank you! This is so so helpful :smile:
Original post by pepsimaxcherry

I'm not sure if bangs look the best on a round race. Have you tried googling what cut looks best on a round face? :smile:
Reply 4
Take into account if your hair is wavy or straight or curly. I tend to not cut my hair short because my hair is really wavy and puffs up and makes me look fat lol. Also, shorter hair is high maintenance. Still, short hair can look really nice on certain people. If you're unsure about your hair colour, you can always just go a shade lighter or a shade darker for a different look but it will still suit you as its not a dramatic change. Also, consider highlights or maybe even dip dying
Reply 5
Original post by pepsimaxcherry

awww, glad to have helped :smile:
If you have a round face try to stay away from one length. A Bob is fine if you have some layers.
The hairdresser can advise you based on the texture of your hair.
I’d make one suggestion. Keep it long enough to still tie up a bit for days you can’t be bothered.
Shorter hair takes more maintenance to keep it looking good. It’ll need trimming more often to maintain shape and washing more often to prevent it looking greasy.
If you’re not sure how short to go, leave it a little longer until you get used to it. You can go shorter next time whereas it takes longer to grow
Enjoy your new do
Original post by nursingstudentuk
I'm not sure if bangs look the best on a round race. Have you tried googling what cut looks best on a round face? :smile:

I’m not getting bangs :smile:
Original post by Sammylou40
If you have a round face try to stay away from one length. A Bob is fine if you have some layers.
The hairdresser can advise you based on the texture of your hair.
I’d make one suggestion. Keep it long enough to still tie up a bit for days you can’t be bothered.
Shorter hair takes more maintenance to keep it looking good. It’ll need trimming more often to maintain shape and washing more often to prevent it looking greasy.
If you’re not sure how short to go, leave it a little longer until you get used to it. You can go shorter next time whereas it takes longer to grow
Enjoy your new do

Thanks!

I’ve cut my hair short last year so I know exactly how it’ll look aha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest