The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Imperial?

Hello, I've got an unconditional offers for manchester in 2021 entry, but I probably wont be going because it's kind of expensive for me to study in the UK( I am from Malaysia ), but I will possibly go if i got a place in Imperial EEE, should I reapply UCAS again for next year entry, 5 unis including manchester and imperial? But I've got my A level A2 results in this August and it wasn't really good, so I am resiting my A2 in this upcoming Oct/Nov. Is the chance for me to get into Imperial high because my previous A2 results not good and because I am resiting?
Reply 1
Difficult decision...however in terms of finances, if you're finding it expensive to study in the UK anyway, I think you should consider the fact that Manchester is a much cheaper city to live in compared to London.
Also please do bare in mind some universities, for specific courses do not prefer to have students who have retaken their A2 qualification. I'd advise you check this for your chosen course.

Hope this helps,
-R
Reply 2
Original post by r.dd
Difficult decision...however in terms of finances, if you're finding it expensive to study in the UK anyway, I think you should consider the fact that Manchester is a much cheaper city to live in compared to London.
Also please do bare in mind some universities, for specific courses do not prefer to have students who have retaken their A2 qualification. I'd advise you check this for your chosen course.

Hope this helps,

Hello thank you for your reply! My family is actually financially capable to sponsor me to study in the UK, but I just don't wanna add pressure to them at least I got a really worth-going university(like imperial) for over 500k Malaysia ringgit for 4 years, so that's why Im considering to reapply Imperial by giving up the unconditional offer from manchester(tho still struggling to decide).

And yea I did email the department in Imperial, they said that my application will be considered if I apply but I might not be invited to interview as they prefer students with no resits, I don't really get what they mean, and it made me more confused to decide to reapply or not. LOL
Reply 3
Original post by Hanbin
Hello thank you for your reply! My family is actually financially capable to sponsor me to study in the UK, but I just don't wanna add pressure to them at least I got a really worth-going university(like imperial) for over 500k Malaysia ringgit for 4 years, so that's why Im considering to reapply Imperial by giving up the unconditional offer from manchester(tho still struggling to decide).

And yea I did email the department in Imperial, they said that my application will be considered if I apply but I might not be invited to interview as they prefer students with no resits, I don't really get what they mean, and it made me more confused to decide to reapply or not. LOL

Judging by what your contact at imperial has said, I think it's a big risk to give up your offer at Manchester in order to reapply to Imperial. To explain what the person from imperial has said; you can apply to Imperial if you want, however your chances of getting an offer are lower compared to the student applying that have not had to resit their exams. If the admission team at a university as popular and competitive as Imperial have told you that they prefer students without resits (which many of the applicants will be people who haven't had to redo their exams) I believe the best thing for you would be to consider Manchester university. The university of Manchester is also a very prestigious and highly ranked research institute, that is recognised globally. Just like Imperial, it is also a Russel Group University.
You can take the remainder of this year to try and gain experience In your desired field, and strengthen your learner profile before starting your course in 2021.

It's a very difficult decision, and I hope I have helped. However, don't forget that ultimately the choice is yours and you should study a course that you're interested in, at a institution of your own choice. :smile:
Original post by Hanbin
And yea I did email the department in Imperial, they said that my application will be considered if I apply but I might not be invited to interview as they prefer students with no resits, I don't really get what they mean, and it made me more confused to decide to reapply or not.

This is a polite way of saying that that Imperial are unlikely to offer a place to a student who took several attempts to get a high enough grade at A level. They MUCH prefer that applicants make their required grades first time, with no retakes. I think that Manchester is a great university, and as others have said, it’s risky trying for Imperial again, particularly given their comment on retakes.

Quick Reply

Latest