The Student Room Group

Is it possible to pass a level without reading the textbook?

I know this is a stupid question but if it's possible for physics economics computerscience or math let me know how
Well, I would yes in theory but with a textbook you get all the information you must learn/understand in one place. The information you need to know will be elsewhere, in endless sources, but surely it is the most efficient to learn/memorise/practise/apply from the book designed to teach you what you need to know for the qualification?
I never used a textbook for computer science or chemistry. I found the questions useful for maths, but you could just use past paper questions. I got a lot more reliant on textbooks for further maths, because there was a lot less other resources.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dancer2001
I never used a textbook for computer science or chemistry. I found the questions useful for maths, but you could just use past paper questions. I got a lot more reliant on textbooks for further maths, because there was a lot less other resources.

What did you use instead if the textbook?
Well what do you think about making notes from the textbook? Waste of time useful?
Original post by historynerd47
Well, I would yes in theory but with a textbook you get all the information you must learn/understand in one place. The information you need to know will be elsewhere, in endless sources, but surely it is the most efficient to learn/memorise/practise/apply from the book designed to teach you what you need to know for the qualification?

What do you think of making notes from the textbook? Waste of time or I just memorize directly?
Original post by Chaos126forever
What do you think of making notes from the textbook? Waste of time or I just memorize directly?

Not an expert on your subjects, but for my A-levels I was advised to avoid copying out the textbook and instead revise the information using active recall and making revision resources that make you think about the information e.g. summarising it as tightly as possible, or ranking things, or picking out a theme. Any way of like engaging with the information. (This was for history). So no to copying the textbook too much but yes to engaging with it. Someone else on here might be more helpful for your subjects, but honestly maybe ask a teacher as mine were really helpful with this kind of thing, they'll know what's best :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chaos126forever
What did you use instead if the textbook?

Took notes in class, used them to answer past paper questions, used mark schemes to check my answers, asked for help if I didn’t understand.
Original post by Dancer2001
Took notes in class, used them to answer past paper questions, used mark schemes to check my answers, asked for help if I didn’t understand.

School teachers for me don't give notes
I personally never used a textbook for A Level Maths. Some people I know used them for practise questions but if you learn all the content on the spec and do enough past paper questions, I don’t really see the need for a textbook.
Reply 10
Oh yeah it’s very possible, in fact- you can pass the level without even attending the class, you don’t even have to do the exams- that’s just for decoration.

Quick Reply

Latest