The Student Room Group

Can my school really decline my call to be homeschooled?

I’m in year 13 as of this September, my final year of A levels. Last year I moved to a new sixth form for my A Levels and the least I can say is I hate this school and it has really brought down my grades.

About a month or two into year 12 I realised that this school was really going to bring me down so I wanted to start homeschooling, since I study really well by myself and know I can pass with my former grades if it was just left to me, but my parents were against it so I continued with the year and finished my AS with barely passes in my subjects. I suggested changing schools but they didn’t care and only sent emails the last week of school where it was too late and every school replied saying we don’t accept.

When I got my AS results I thought it would be a good time to bring up homeschooling again and luckily this time they agreed. My parents sent an email to my school telling them that I would not be re - enrolling for my final year at their school and instead I’d be continuing at home. They replied saying that my parents must have a meeting with them.

My father came back from the meeting and told me that they said that it is not possible that I can’t continue at their school and that I must be in some sort of full time education until I’m 18, basically rejecting me being homeschooled. They told my father to tell me I must be in school tomorrow earlier than everyone else so I can have a meeting with them and discuss whatever my issue is, except I do not want to talk to them because they’re so insensitive. Neither do I want to go to school tomorrow.

I have a couple questions which I would really, really love for anyone to answer so I can find out what to do next.

The teachers who called my parents in for a meeting are the sixth form heads. I’ve read online that a school can not refuse a parents statement that their child will be continuing home education. Is this right? Do the teachers have any truth in what they’re saying about me not being able to homeschool and having to go back to physical school?

If they are wrong and do not have a say in where my education is, where should I take things if they continue?

I do not want to go school tomorrow or ever so I am thinking of skipping if my parents try to drop me off. Should I just not go and inform the council instead of my choice or something?

Also, what does full time education really mean? Is me studying the same hours as school timings by myself not considered full time education? Or must I have a tutor to be with me during those hours?

I know this is a lot to read and answer but even if you know the answer to only one I would literally give you the moon. Thank you so much <3
Original post by ECEDDDCDD
I’m in year 13 as of this September, my final year of A levels. Last year I moved to a new sixth form for my A Levels and the least I can say is I hate this school and it has really brought down my grades.

About a month or two into year 12 I realised that this school was really going to bring me down so I wanted to start homeschooling, since I study really well by myself and know I can pass with my former grades if it was just left to me, but my parents were against it so I continued with the year and finished my AS with barely passes in my subjects. I suggested changing schools but they didn’t care and only sent emails the last week of school where it was too late and every school replied saying we don’t accept.

When I got my AS results I thought it would be a good time to bring up homeschooling again and luckily this time they agreed. My parents sent an email to my school telling them that I would not be re - enrolling for my final year at their school and instead I’d be continuing at home. They replied saying that my parents must have a meeting with them.

My father came back from the meeting and told me that they said that it is not possible that I can’t continue at their school and that I must be in some sort of full time education until I’m 18, basically rejecting me being homeschooled. They told my father to tell me I must be in school tomorrow earlier than everyone else so I can have a meeting with them and discuss whatever my issue is, except I do not want to talk to them because they’re so insensitive. Neither do I want to go to school tomorrow.

I have a couple questions which I would really, really love for anyone to answer so I can find out what to do next.

The teachers who called my parents in for a meeting are the sixth form heads. I’ve read online that a school can not refuse a parents statement that their child will be continuing home education. Is this right? Do the teachers have any truth in what they’re saying about me not being able to homeschool and having to go back to physical school?

If they are wrong and do not have a say in where my education is, where should I take things if they continue?

I do not want to go school tomorrow or ever so I am thinking of skipping if my parents try to drop me off. Should I just not go and inform the council instead of my choice or something?

Also, what does full time education really mean? Is me studying the same hours as school timings by myself not considered full time education? Or must I have a tutor to be with me during those hours?

I know this is a lot to read and answer but even if you know the answer to only one I would literally give you the moon. Thank you so much <3

@5hyl33n
If you study A Levels at home, you lose the benefit of the school:
Being a centre to help with your UCAS application, and writing references for each subject, and predicted grades
If you are doing a A Level with a practical endorsement, such as Biology OCR A, you will need to complete the PAG’s by yourself (you cant do that at home)
For any A Level with a NEA, would be more of a hassle (you only have yourself to support, no teacher to mark or check it) before you submit it.
You would have to find an exam centre as private candidate (cost money to sit the exam)
Help from your teachers - especially for biology, you need the teacher to explain for the textbook to make sense
Any mock exams (November, January, March)
———-
What do you not like about the school? I mean, outside of your lessons with teacher. In your ‘frees’, independent study.
—————-
I believe you cannot homeschool yourself (as in only you teaching you)
Regarding your other questions, I will summon some people
(edited 7 months ago)
X

Hello @ECEDDDCDD,

I'm going to break down your post and answer each question individually so everything is clear. Some of my responses might be questions, please answer them.

'I’m in year 13 as of this September, my final year of A levels. Last year I moved to a new sixth form for my A Levels and the least I can say is I hate this school and it has really brought down my grades.'
What's causing your dissatisfaction with school? And what are your A-Level options?

'About a month or two into year 12 I realised that this school was really going to bring me down so I wanted to start homeschooling, since I study really well by myself and know I can pass with my former grades if it was just left to me, but my parents were against it so I continued with the year and finished my AS with barely passes in my subjects. I suggested changing schools but they didn’t care and only sent emails the last week of school where it was too late and every school replied saying we don’t accept.'
Indeed, the schools you were considering switching to would likely provide that same response, unfortunately.

When I got my AS results I thought it would be a good time to bring up homeschooling again and luckily this time they agreed. My parents sent an email to my school telling them that I would not be re - enrolling for my final year at their school and instead I’d be continuing at home. They replied saying that my parents must have a meeting with them. My father came back from the meeting and told me that they said that it is not possible that I can’t continue at their school and that I must be in some sort of full time education until I’m 18, basically rejecting me being homeschooled. They told my father to tell me I must be in school tomorrow earlier than everyone else so I can have a meeting with them and discuss whatever my issue is, except I do not want to talk to them because they’re so insensitive. Neither do I want to go to school tomorrow.
Read this:
https://www.gov.uk/home-education

Attend school tomorrow and have a conversation with them. It appears they are open to assisting you with your concerns, but your reluctance is clouding your judgement. Extend your school a chance.

Again, read these links:
https://www.gov.uk/home-schooling-information-council

To be honest, you will only be in school for a few months now given you are in your final year of A-Levels. The most straightforward solution might be to persevere, even though I understand that it can be challenging. I mention this because, even if your plans align as you intend, such as choosing to leave school for home education and achieving the desired results, it will, in essence, involve a similar routine of studying at home and achieving your desired outcomes, much like attending school and revising. Does that make sense?

As I've advised above, go to school tomorrow and have a chat.

Read this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/791528/EHE_guidance_for_parentsafterconsultationv2.2.pdf
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
@5hyl33n
Being a centre to help with your UCAS application, and writing references for each subject, and predicted grades
If you are doing a A Level with a practical endorsement, such as Biology OCR A, you will need to complete the PAG’s by yourself (you cant do that at home)
For any A Level with a NEA, would be more of a hassle (you only have yourself to support, no teacher to mark or check it) before you submit it.
You would have to find an exam centre as private candidate (cost money to sit the exam)
Help from your teachers - especially for biology, you need the teacher to explain for the textbook to make sense
———-
What do you not like about the school? I mean, outside of your lessons with teacher. In your ‘frees’, independent study.
—————-

PRSOM
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
@5hyl33n
———-
—————-

You’re right, everything you’ve mentioned is a huge plus but there’s always a way. I’ve done some research and I think I can get around doing most of these without a school. The only tricky part would be the references.

There is a school close by taking private students for science Cpac’s. It is pricey though.

I don’t want to get too much into detail but maybe it’s because of the sudden change in environment. My old school was a lot different. I don’t usually spend my frees at school, only when I have last minute homework to catch up on. I’ll normally be heading home during my frees.

I don’t believe I can wholly teach me to me either so I would probably get a tutor to help me. Would a tutor be able to write my reference and predicted grades though?

Thank you so much for getting back to me though. There would have been no reply if you didn’t answer and summon someone to answer all my questions too. Literal life saviour
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hello @ECEDDDCDD,

I'm going to break down your post and answer each question individually so everything is clear. Some of my responses might be questions, please answer them.

'I’m in year 13 as of this September, my final year of A levels. Last year I moved to a new sixth form for my A Levels and the least I can say is I hate this school and it has really brought down my grades.'
What's causing your dissatisfaction with school? And what are your A-Level options?

'About a month or two into year 12 I realised that this school was really going to bring me down so I wanted to start homeschooling, since I study really well by myself and know I can pass with my former grades if it was just left to me, but my parents were against it so I continued with the year and finished my AS with barely passes in my subjects. I suggested changing schools but they didn’t care and only sent emails the last week of school where it was too late and every school replied saying we don’t accept.'
Indeed, the schools you were considering switching to would likely provide that same response, unfortunately.

When I got my AS results I thought it would be a good time to bring up homeschooling again and luckily this time they agreed. My parents sent an email to my school telling them that I would not be re - enrolling for my final year at their school and instead I’d be continuing at home. They replied saying that my parents must have a meeting with them. My father came back from the meeting and told me that they said that it is not possible that I can’t continue at their school and that I must be in some sort of full time education until I’m 18, basically rejecting me being homeschooled. They told my father to tell me I must be in school tomorrow earlier than everyone else so I can have a meeting with them and discuss whatever my issue is, except I do not want to talk to them because they’re so insensitive. Neither do I want to go to school tomorrow.
Read this:

Attend school tomorrow and have a conversation with them. It appears they are open to assisting you with your concerns, but your reluctance is clouding your judgement. Extend your school a chance.

Again, read these links:
https://www.gov.uk/home-schooling-information-council

To be honest, you will only be in school for a few months now given you are in your final year of A-Levels. The most straightforward solution might be to persevere, even though I understand that it can be challenging. I mention this because, even if your plans align as you intend, such as choosing to leave school for home education and achieving the desired results, it will, in essence, involve a similar routine of studying at home and achieving your desired outcomes, much like attending school and revising. Does that make sense?

As I've advised above, go to school tomorrow and have a chat.

Read this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/791528/EHE_guidance_for_parentsafterconsultationv2.2.pdf

Oh my god thank you so much, you have given me an answer to basically everything. I really appreciate it so much.

I’m doing maths, bio, and chem. I’ve read the links you attached and they are so helpful, thank you for linking them. I probably will go to speak with them tomorrow and see if there is a chance I go back. Perhaps my reluctance is clouding my judgement. I will essentially have a similar routine, like you said.

Thank you so much for replying, this was a huge help!
Oh my god thank you so much, you have given me an answer to basically everything. I really appreciate it so much.

I’m doing maths, bio, and chem. I’ve read the links you attached and they are so helpful, thank you for linking them. I probably will go to speak with them tomorrow and see if there is a chance I go back. Perhaps my reluctance is clouding my judgement. I will essentially have a similar routine, like you said.

Thank you so much for replying, this was a huge help!

How did today go? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest