The Student Room Group

Part-time work during master's?? Can I still get a distinction?

I am enrolled for a full time master's. I've also been offered a short internship (2 months) requiring 16hrs of work a week. They were really flexible on the days so that's not a problem. The good thing is that this internship would only be this term. The bad thing is I'm doing 3 modules this term.

Was just wondering if it is manageable to get a distinction whilst committing to this internship??

Do you know anyone who did 16hrs or more and managed to achieve a distinction in their master's??
I am enrolled for a full time master's. I've also been offered a short internship (2 months) requiring 16hrs of work a week.

Was just wondering if it is manageable to get a distinction whilst committing to this internship??

Do you know anyone who did 16hrs or more and managed to achieve a distinction in their master's??
Reply 2
Depending on your degree, most of the final mark comes from the dissertation, which you write in the final months (in the Humanities). So if you start the internship at the beginning of your degree, it could be doable. If the internship is in the same field as your degree, I would talk about it to the course leader, as they may offer you some arrangement. STEM degrees may be different.
Original post by akragas
Depending on your degree, most of the final mark comes from the dissertation, which you write in the final months (in the Humanities). So if you start the internship at the beginning of your degree, it could be doable. If the internship is in the same field as your degree, I would talk about it to the course leader, as they may offer you some arrangement. STEM degrees may be different.

That really helps since I'm doing a political science based course. You're right, as long as I have less commitments during the rest of the year. Term 1 only counts for 1/3 of my grade. The internship is related and I can even convert it into a module... but that's not I want to do as I'd rather learn something new. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by missdecember
That really helps since I'm doing a political science based course. You're right, as long as I have less commitments during the rest of the year. Term 1 only counts for 1/3 of my grade. The internship is related and I can even convert it into a module... but that's not I want to do as I'd rather learn something new. Thanks for the help! :smile:

If you can convert the internship into a module, then I think you should do it. Work experience is always better.
Original post by akragas
If you can convert the internship into a module, then I think you should do it. Work experience is always better.I mean

You're right but I meant I'd rather do both. So I'd still do the internship but also get to learn a new module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending