The Student Room Group

Need advice

Hi guys, I was just graduated with a useless bachelor degree. I mean I think I can get a job with it but it is not a decent job. Currently just started on master but experiencing a lot of difficulties with the step up. was thinking about dropping it meanwhile get a job to get myself more confident. in my case, will you guys recommend me to study a second bachelor or come back to study a master when older? is second bachelor useless?
Original post by uglyhermit123
Hi guys, I was just graduated with a useless bachelor degree. I mean I think I can get a job with it but it is not a decent job. Currently just started on master but experiencing a lot of difficulties with the step up. was thinking about dropping it meanwhile get a job to get myself more confident. in my case, will you guys recommend me to study a second bachelor or come back to study a master when older? is second bachelor useless?

You seem to have gone out of your way to be as vague as possible.

What subject is your current Bachelor's degree (the "useless" one). What Master's degree have you just started? What sort of job ("not a decent job") do you hope to be able to secure if you dropped out of the Master's?

If you did decide to take a second Bachelor's degree at some point in the future, what subject would that be? If you took a Master's at some point in future, would it be the same one you're studying now? Why would you not expect the same "difficulties with the step up" then that you're experiencing now?
Original post by DataVenia
You seem to have gone out of your way to be as vague as possible.
What subject is your current Bachelor's degree (the "useless" one). What Master's degree have you just started? What sort of job ("not a decent job") do you hope to be able to secure if you dropped out of the Master's?
If you did decide to take a second Bachelor's degree at some point in the future, what subject would that be? If you took a Master's at some point in future, would it be the same one you're studying now? Why would you not expect the same "difficulties with the step up" then that you're experiencing now?
Undergrad= Biomedical science
Master= Occupational Therapy
If i do drop out, i can get any general laboratory work. Biomedical support worker, laboratory technician?

I have a biomedical science undergrad degree but it is not accredited that I was told that i need to do extra top up module to make it useful so I can apply job in NHS. However, modules take about a year to complete. I am currently studying MSc occupational therapy which is a 2 years course. I was told by my parents doing a second bachelor is waste of money, weird and the doing top up modules take too much time why not do a master. I guess I am currently having difficulty writing essay because I am not getting used to writing an essay. My previous degree is a very science background when the current one is a philosophical background. I don't want to drop out yet I want to sit my exam and see how it goes. I hope don't encounter same difficulties coming back 2 years later, at the mean time I can go to private tuition session to improve my writing skills. I am born in a wealthy family so master fees I don't have to worry about money at all I can try as many times as I want.
Original post by uglyhermit123
Undergrad= Biomedical science
Master= Occupational Therapy
If i do drop out, i can get any general laboratory work. Biomedical support worker, laboratory technician?

I have a biomedical science undergrad degree but it is not accredited that I was told that i need to do extra top up module to make it useful so I can apply job in NHS. However, modules take about a year to complete. I am currently studying MSc occupational therapy which is a 2 years course. I was told by my parents doing a second bachelor is waste of money, weird and the doing top up modules take too much time why not do a master. I guess I am currently having difficulty writing essay because I am not getting used to writing an essay. My previous degree is a very science background when the current one is a philosophical background. I don't want to drop out yet I want to sit my exam and see how it goes. I hope don't encounter same difficulties coming back 2 years later, at the mean time I can go to private tuition session to improve my writing skills. I am born in a wealthy family so master fees I don't have to worry about money at all I can try as many times as I want.

Thanks for that. If the issue with your Biomedical Science undergraduate degree is that it's not accredited, and gaining accreditation (by doing "extra top up module to make it useful") would take a year to complete, then that would have seemed like the most obvious route. It would have taken one year (not two, as your Master's will take), and is science-based rather than being essay-based. Is there a reason you didn't take this approach? Is it because your parents told you that it "doing top up modules take too much time" (one year) and so you should instead take a Master's (two years). That's bizarre logic to me, especially as many (perhaps most) Master's degrees only take one year. So could have used those two years to gain accreditation for your undergraduate degree and gain a Master's degree. :confused:

After this Master's degree in Occupational Therapy, you will presumably still not be able to work in the NHS with your unaccredited Biomedical Science degree, but will be able to undertake work as an Occupational Therapist. Is that something you have an interest in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending