The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Experiences

Hey! Can anyone share their experiences of balancing their workload with other interests during their masters degree?
I'm starting my masters in September and I'm expecting it to be full on, and that I probably won't be able to travel and visit friends on weekends, but it would be great to hear from other people how they found juggling study with their extra curriculars :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by holr21
Hey! Can anyone share their experiences of balancing their workload with other interests during their masters degree?
I'm starting my masters in September and I'm expecting it to be full on, and that I probably won't be able to travel and visit friends on weekends, but it would be great to hear from other people how they found juggling study with their extra curriculars :smile:

Balancing a master's workload with other interests requires effective time management, prioritization, and open communication. It can be challenging but achievable with a routine, support networks, and self-care.
Reply 2
Balancing a master's workload with other interests requires effective time management, prioritization, and open communication. It can be challenging but achievable with a routine, support networks, and self-care.
Original post by holr21

Hey @holr21, how are you? :smile:

Finding the right work-life balance can be challenging, but definitely doable! I'd recommend creating to-do lists, planning your schedule in advance and prioritising tasks, and that way allow room for both academic and personal pursuits. Obviously when things come up like unexpected events/deadlines, be open to adjusting your schedule and rearranging your plans, just be flexible and prepared to adapt things.

Just set realistic goals, understand the time frames you have, so you stay motivated and don't start feeling overwhelmed. Another tip to stop feeling overwhelmed is being proactive and organised, use things like calendars, planners, download free productivity apps to manage your deadlines, assignments, important dates.

I'd recommend prioritising self-care during your studies, take breaks, get lots of rest, go for walks, eat and drink the right amounts, recharge, recharge, recharge! :smile:

Also lean on your support system, communicating with family and friends about your commitments is key, they can help by providing emotional support and help you find ways to make time for your interests whilst still focusing on studying.

Everyone's experience of a work life balance will be different, you just need to figure out what works best for you :smile:

I wish you all the best of luck with your masters!

Becky
Original post by holr21

Hi!

My MA (Interpreting and Translating) has been pretty intense in terms of workload, but I've still been able to travel home and visit family and friends, and I've also had friends over to visit me. I think in the first few weeks, it might take time to adjust, and get used to how much work you need to be doing and how you can fit that around the rest of your life.

It's important not to just let your masters take over your life - there is time to have a balance! My advice would be to stick to a schedule so you know when you can take some time off to do other things.

Good luck!

Maya
Original post by holr21

Hello 😊

I'm doing a MSc in Digital Marketing whilst working part time, somehow trying to maintain a social life and still have time for my hobbies. It's a hard challenge but with some effort and organization is completely possible.

It might sound silly but my best friend since starting my degree has been Google Calendar. I start with a to-do list on my agenda for each day and slowly build my week on the google calendar by using the time blocking technique. By visualising everything on the calendar, I can see if I'm keeping a good balance in all areas of my life and don't feel so overwhelmed with everything.

Most of my assignments were more on the pratical side rather than exams, so one thing that helped me a lot was working with my friends. For me, seeing other people work and be productive it's extremly motivational.

Persuing a masters degree is something extremly difficult and time consuming so make sure you take care of yourself and that you schedule some time for self-care. It takes time to adjust and find a balance that works for you so don't put pressure on yourself.

Hope this helps 😊

Jénifer
MSc Digital Marketing and Channel Management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending