The Student Room Group

Disappointed MA Education dissertation result

Hello
I have just received feedback and marking for my dissertation and I feel absolutely gutted at my grade. I know 68 is a high merit but I really wanted to push myself to get a distinction overall but this grade means I'll be graduating with a high merit overall. Does anyone know if this is likely to effect doctorate applications greatly? I understand the grade and where I needed to enhance the dissertation to get a higher mark. I was recovering from an injury and working on codeine so my brain power was compromised so knowing that makes it much worse.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
A lot of PhD programmes will be perfectly content with a good merit (they often say 'near-distinction') and a first-class, sometimes even upper second-class, undergrad degree - even Oxford accepts these criteria in principle in may cases (competition can change the landscape).

I don't think you are scuppered. You shouldn't worry.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
In fact, for a DPhil Education at Oxon, you seem to meet their Master's criteria:

a master's degree, normally with a mark of at least 68 and at least 68 in your dissertation, in a relevant subject; and

a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in a relevant subject, preferably in the social sciences.

Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
A lot of PhD programmes will be perfectly content with a good merit (they often say 'near-distinction') and a first-class, sometimes even upper second-class, undergrad degree - even Oxford accepts these criteria in principle in may cases (competition can change the landscape).

I don't think you are scuppered. You shouldn't worry.

Thank you for your reply. I have reflected on it and realised my own expectations let me down not the grade. I havent looked into the accepted grades for a PhD yet whilst I went through my little bit of misery so I really appreciate the information that's also helped me to feel more accepting of the grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending