The Student Room Group

Secondary Teaching Career Choice

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and interested in becoming a business and geography teacher.

Does anyone know the path to becoming a teacher. I'm quite confused become I've heard some people say PGCSE, some say Masters in Education and some say Teach First.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. It's greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by pikapanda05
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and interested in becoming a business and geography teacher.

Does anyone know the path to becoming a teacher. I'm quite confused become I've heard some people say PGCSE, some say Masters in Education and some say Teach First.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. It's greatly appreciated :smile:

There are multiple routes into secondary teaching.

Typically, you would complete an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject that interests you. Then, after your degree, you would do one of the following:
- a university-based PGCE or PGDE, where you spend a portion of the course at university and a portion on placement in schools
- a SCITT or School Direct course, where you spend most of your time in school (but you'll probably also spend some time in uni getting a PGCE)
- Teach First, where you will be placed in a 'needy' school and will be expect to take on many more responsibilities from day one
(there are probably other options I'm forgetting)

You're still in Year 11, so I'd advise that if you're interested in teaching, you just aim to do well in your GCSEs and then in your 16-18 education so that you can get onto a degree course you're happy with. If you're very keen, you might like to get involved in some leadership-type opportunities in and out of school (e.g. mentoring younger students, Scouts/Guides, volunteering in primary schools), but it's by no means necessary. You've got plenty of time.
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
There are multiple routes into secondary teaching.

Typically, you would complete an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject that interests you. Then, after your degree, you would do one of the following:
- a university-based PGCE or PGDE, where you spend a portion of the course at university and a portion on placement in schools
- a SCITT or School Direct course, where you spend most of your time in school (but you'll probably also spend some time in uni getting a PGCE)
- Teach First, where you will be placed in a 'needy' school and will be expect to take on many more responsibilities from day one
(there are probably other options I'm forgetting)

You're still in Year 11, so I'd advise that if you're interested in teaching, you just aim to do well in your GCSEs and then in your 16-18 education so that you can get onto a degree course you're happy with. If you're very keen, you might like to get involved in some leadership-type opportunities in and out of school (e.g. mentoring younger students, Scouts/Guides, volunteering in primary schools), but it's by no means necessary. You've got plenty of time.

Hi @bluebeetle, thanks very much for your detailed replied
Reply 3
I'm with some undergraduates who are doing teaching as part of their degree. That's another route (with a lot of hard work involved).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending