The Student Room Group

my mental health is affecting my university studies

I suffer with many mental health issues (which I don't really want t elaborate on), but ever since I started uni, I have found it VERY difficult to revise. I really really tried to on the first few days but afterwards I didn't revise for 3 days straight and I am really behind on content
I want to get the top grades, I want to be one of the smartest in my year but my mental health and general laziness is getting in the way :frown:
Original post by lightertoodeep
I suffer with many mental health issues (which I don't really want t elaborate on), but ever since I started uni, I have found it VERY difficult to revise. I really really tried to on the first few days but afterwards I didn't revise for 3 days straight and I am really behind on content
I want to get the top grades, I want to be one of the smartest in my year but my mental health and general laziness is getting in the way :frown:

Go see the mental health team ASAP. Everyone struggles at university initially
GENERAL
Hi, I have several mental health issues too. When I was in year 12 I had a really bad period of my life, I have not been diagnosed with depression but I felt so low that I could not revise, think straight, I was just empty which went on for months, I was diagnosed with an ED as well.
ADVICE
During year 13, I told myself that I needed to revise, get through A-levels and push myself so that I could show myself I was capable. Now im going to university I am so motivated, I know you must be really struggling and im sorry. I try and make time for me to do things I enjoy so that I feel good and feel more motivated. Once I started getting into fitness, I had an hour 5x a week to focus on myself and push myself. I mean, I would also try some other hobbies.
What I loved at A-level was using these videos called 'real time study with me' where you can watch someone study. I would put them on my screen so I could see them revise, and when I looked up it motivated me to keep going. Once you get into a routine I promise you it will get easier. I created a small timetable where I would leave slots for studying, working out, hobbies etc and I could see what I had planned for the day. This meant that I knew what I could be doing, what I would be studying etc so that I would just do it without having to decide what to do on the spot. I also use an app called forest, if you go off of the app it kills a fake tree. Cause i'm a perfectionist I hated seeing the trees die, it reminded me that I gave up, so I make sure they don't.
Please know that you can do this, this is your time to do well and prove to yourself that you can do it. When I have bad days, and I used to have a lot of them due to bullying years ago, I now journal on my phone and vent to myself. I then think about what I could do to make myself feel better.
Good luck, I hope your mental health improves to some degree.
Original post by Anonymous
Go see the mental health team ASAP. Everyone struggles at university initially

I'm going to be having therapy soon
anyone else?
Original post by Cocoabean22
GENERAL
Hi, I have several mental health issues too. When I was in year 12 I had a really bad period of my life, I have not been diagnosed with depression but I felt so low that I could not revise, think straight, I was just empty which went on for months, I was diagnosed with an ED as well.
ADVICE
During year 13, I told myself that I needed to revise, get through A-levels and push myself so that I could show myself I was capable. Now im going to university I am so motivated, I know you must be really struggling and im sorry. I try and make time for me to do things I enjoy so that I feel good and feel more motivated. Once I started getting into fitness, I had an hour 5x a week to focus on myself and push myself. I mean, I would also try some other hobbies.
What I loved at A-level was using these videos called 'real time study with me' where you can watch someone study. I would put them on my screen so I could see them revise, and when I looked up it motivated me to keep going. Once you get into a routine I promise you it will get easier. I created a small timetable where I would leave slots for studying, working out, hobbies etc and I could see what I had planned for the day. This meant that I knew what I could be doing, what I would be studying etc so that I would just do it without having to decide what to do on the spot. I also use an app called forest, if you go off of the app it kills a fake tree. Cause i'm a perfectionist I hated seeing the trees die, it reminded me that I gave up, so I make sure they don't.
Please know that you can do this, this is your time to do well and prove to yourself that you can do it. When I have bad days, and I used to have a lot of them due to bullying years ago, I now journal on my phone and vent to myself. I then think about what I could do to make myself feel better.
Good luck, I hope your mental health improves to some degree.

I tried this and it still doesn't work for me :frown:
Reply 6
You say you have mental health issues, then you later on say you're lazy.

Do you actually have mental health issues, or just using it as an excuse?
Original post by Xarao
You say you have mental health issues, then you later on say you're lazy.

Do you actually have mental health issues, or just using it as an excuse?

i do have mental health issues but i am also lazy
Reply 8
In the mean time whilst you wait for therapy, try and improve other areas, like your sleep, eating and making sure you're hydrated. Stay in contact with family and friends. It'll hopefully help improve things at least partially and help you get on a schedule so you can also make time for work.

Quick Reply

Latest