The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Postgraduate Funding Advice

I graduated in June and was due to start my studies in MSc in Political Science at Leeds. The course got cancelled because of the pandemic and it was pushed back until September 2021. I now have an offer open from Leeds (again) for then.

However, I have decided to try out for Oxford as suggested by one of my former lecturers and have submitted an application for an MSc in Politics Research. The only difference between the two universities and the courses is tuition. Leeds is £9,750 whereas Oxford is £19,200 (yikes!).

I am from a low-income background and with the postgraduate loan, low-income bursary and some savings from my undergraduate studies I can just about cover the costs for Leeds. However, for Oxford, I am still roughly £10,000 short.

Like many others at the moment, I am trying to get a job now I have had to move back home but so far my applications haven't been successful. Has anyone had experience of the scholarship system at Oxford for postgrads, or even what their low-income financial support is like?

I doubt I can get £10,000 from the University, but anything on top of what I have at the moment helps!

Harry
Original post by jhedwards
I graduated in June and was due to start my studies in MSc in Political Science at Leeds. The course got cancelled because of the pandemic and it was pushed back until September 2021. I now have an offer open from Leeds (again) for then.

However, I have decided to try out for Oxford as suggested by one of my former lecturers and have submitted an application for an MSc in Politics Research. The only difference between the two universities and the courses is tuition. Leeds is £9,750 whereas Oxford is £19,200 (yikes!).

I am from a low-income background and with the postgraduate loan, low-income bursary and some savings from my undergraduate studies I can just about cover the costs for Leeds. However, for Oxford, I am still roughly £10,000 short.

Like many others at the moment, I am trying to get a job now I have had to move back home but so far my applications haven't been successful. Has anyone had experience of the scholarship system at Oxford for postgrads, or even what their low-income financial support is like?

I doubt I can get £10,000 from the University, but anything on top of what I have at the moment helps!

Harry

Sorry you havent had any replies. I cant add much; only that my daughter did a Masters at Oxford a couple of years ago. She also struggled to find the fees. Her experience of trying to get an Oxford grant was not great. Although the University says it provides scholarships to half of graduate students and no separate application is necessary, the process is completely opaque. She was simply left waiting to see if a letter arrived with news - and no deadlines were communicated, so she just waited and waited....Apart from that, she did try a college scholarship fund, with its own application process. Again, no luck. You might be better off posting on the Postgraduate thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6644214&p=91551430&page=9&highlight=oxford+postgraduate#post91551430
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending