The Student Room Group

Student finance for degree holders

I have previously received student finance funding for both undergraduate and postgraduate. I graduated with a BSc in 2018 for which I received tuition and maintenance loans. I received some funding for postgraduate studies (2 instalments) in 2020 however did not complete the course.
Am I eligible for any further funding? I would like to complete a postgraduate degree, but am unsure whether I can get funding.
I have also been looking into the possibility of doing another undergraduate degree and have seen it is possible to get student finance for a second degree in certain subjects. I would like to study ecology/environmental science. Does anyone have any information on this?
Thank you
Original post by Ecotorr
I have previously received student finance funding for both undergraduate and postgraduate. I graduated with a BSc in 2018 for which I received tuition and maintenance loans. I received some funding for postgraduate studies (2 instalments) in 2020 however did not complete the course.
Am I eligible for any further funding? I would like to complete a postgraduate degree, but am unsure whether I can get funding.
I have also been looking into the possibility of doing another undergraduate degree and have seen it is possible to get student finance for a second degree in certain subjects. I would like to study ecology/environmental science. Does anyone have any information on this?
Thank you

Hi there.

First regarding the Postgraduate, your eligibility will depend on why you left the course. If this was for a reason that was out with your control, you can send us a Paper Postgraduate application along with a cover letter fully explaining why you had to withdraw from the course along with any evidence you can send. A decision would then be made to determine if we can award you with the Postgraduate funding again.

Regarding the Undergraduate, the course you have mentioned is not considered as an exception course sorry. This means we would have to use our previous study calculation and take into account years you have studied already.

Thanks - David
Reply 2
Original post by David SLC
Hi there.

First regarding the Postgraduate, your eligibility will depend on why you left the course. If this was for a reason that was out with your control, you can send us a Paper Postgraduate application along with a cover letter fully explaining why you had to withdraw from the course along with any evidence you can send. A decision would then be made to determine if we can award you with the Postgraduate funding again.

Regarding the Undergraduate, the course you have mentioned is not considered as an exception course sorry. This means we would have to use our previous study calculation and take into account years you have studied already.

Thanks - David

Thank you so much for your reply.
For the postgraduate it was due to mental health, but I don’t really have any evidence. Would a recent diagnosis count as evidence for dropping out in 2020?
Do you now which courses count for the undergraduate, as environmental science was listed on the OU website as an exception course.
Again, many thanks!
Original post by Ecotorr
For the postgraduate it was due to mental health, but I don’t really have any evidence. Would a recent diagnosis count as evidence for dropping out in 2020?
Do you now which courses count for the undergraduate, as environmental science was listed on the OU website as an exception course.
Again, many thanks!

Hi there. Geographical, Earth and Environmental Sciences would be classed as a part time exception course. Could you confirm when you would be looking to start this, and how many years the course would be? We can double check the course if funded.

For the postgraduate evidence, if you could not complete your course year due to personal reason, you may be able to receive an additional year of funding if you provide evidence of this. The evidence depends on your personal circumstances.

For example, we can accept photocopies of the following;

-Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
-Letter from University on headed paper
-Letter from Social Services on headed paper
-Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

The evidence must be;
- Signed and dated
-Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

You will also need to upload this with a letter from yourself explaining what has happened, in your own words.

Thanks, Leah.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ecotorr
Again, many thanks!

Hi there. For the evidence, we can only ask that you send as much as possible so we would advise to send this with your application. Apologies, for Undergraduate, the exception courses for the OU are different and that is an exception course. We do not have a full list we can provide and would direct you to speak to the OU about this.
Thanks - David
Reply 5
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Geographical, Earth and Environmental Sciences would be classed as a part time exception course. Could you confirm when you would be looking to start this, and how many years the course would be? We can double check the course if funded.

For the postgraduate evidence, if you could not complete your course year due to personal reason, you may be able to receive an additional year of funding if you provide evidence of this. The evidence depends on your personal circumstances.

For example, we can accept photocopies of the following;

-Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
-Letter from University on headed paper
-Letter from Social Services on headed paper
-Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

The evidence must be;
- Signed and dated
-Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

You will also need to upload this with a letter from yourself explaining what has happened, in your own words.

Thanks, Leah.

Hi thank you so much for your reply. I would be looking to start in 2025. Would you be able to check if the BSc ecology and environmental science at Gloucester University could be funded? It would be part time over 6 years.
Are marine sciences considered environmental sciences?
Thank you again
Original post by Ecotorr
Hi thank you so much for your reply. I would be looking to start in 2025. Would you be able to check if the BSc ecology and environmental science at Gloucester University could be funded? It would be part time over 6 years.
Are marine sciences considered environmental sciences?
Thank you again

Hi there,

If the course is starting in 2025 we do not have information regarding funding at this moment in time unfortunately as it is still quite a while away. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending