The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GemmyMonster
Bah I only managed 5 A*-C - in fact they were only BBBBC, so I'm screwed way worse than any of you lot! There's only like 4 or 5 that don't rule mine out!

I know what you mean about not trusting yourself academically, I know I should've got higher (had other circumstances for the 2 years), yet I'm petrified of messing up my A-levels.

Ditto, which means I'm constantly studying in my frees and panicking about exams which are a year away while still thinking that I'm going to mess the exams up because it seems the harder I work the worse I do in the exams :confused:
Did all 3 of us have a bad time during the 2 years?
My Bs were Double sci, maths and english - C was resistant materials (of all subjects!)
Reply 22
diamonddust

Did all 3 of us have a bad time during the 2 years?

yea unfortunately i CERTAINLY did and i cant turn back the clock like i'd like to, so i just gotta make the most of now.
Jinxy
yea unfortunately i CERTAINLY did and i cant turn back the clock like i'd like to, so i just gotta make the most of now.

:yep:
:hug:
It will work out! I was getting so discouraged a few weeks ago because none of the places I'd called for w/e were responding. They all called yesterday telling me to call them back. Just have faith. It's hard and I'm the BIGGEST pessimist in the world but I'm trying to believe things will work out.
Reply 24
diamonddust
:yep:
:hug:
It will work out! I was getting so discouraged a few weeks ago because none of the places I'd called for w/e were responding. They all called yesterday telling me to call them back. Just have faith. It's hard and I'm the BIGGEST pessimist in the world but I'm trying to believe things will work out.

things will work out just concentrate on sixth form/college for now =]
have you got any work experience yet or anything? I havent and im trying so hard to find some!
Not as smashing as most on TSR that get into med, but meh.

4 A* 6 A, then 5 A and 2 Merits. Off to Imperial in Oct.
Jinxy
things will work out just concentrate on sixth form/college for now =]
have you got any work experience yet or anything? I havent and im trying so hard to find some!

I have an appointment with a hospice this friday to fill out forms and stuff for the CRB. I've contacted hospitals who've written me letters back telling me to call them so I'll call them on Monday. I'm desperately trying to get some w/e at a GPs surgery but no luck and I need to write to the governor of a prison because I'm determined to shadow a prison doctor.
I just sat down one day last week after trying from last year to get w/e and thought I'm not putting down this phone until I've got some work experience. I still haven't really got any set in stone yet though.

Not as smashing as most on TSR that get into med, but meh.

4 A* 6 A, then 5 A and 2 Merits. Off to Imperial in Oct.

Imperial :love:
Wow! I'd love to go to Imperial...
Reply 27
diamonddust
I have an appointment with a hospice this friday to fill out forms and stuff for the CRB. I've contacted hospitals who've written me letters back telling me to call them so I'll call them on Monday. I'm desperately trying to get some w/e at a GPs surgery but no luck and I need to write to the governor of a prison because I'm determined to shadow a prison doctor.
I just sat down one day last week after trying from last year to get w/e and thought I'm not putting down this phone until I've got some work experience. I still haven't really got any set in stone yet though.

Thats good yeah it makes me keep thinking i need to try harder until i get some...
Reply 28
All I would say is don't lose faith (I know this is a huge cliche!). If you work hard to get good AS grades and are then predicted good grades for A level then there are definitely universities that will look at you (bearing in mind most will want UKCAT or BMAT as well). Personal statement, work experience and ultimately how well you perform in interview are key factors. There are universites who probably won't consider you with certain GCSE grades but then there are those who look for other aspects.
I turned up stoned/ drunk or exhausted to half my GCSE exams, received grades that reflected this and still managed offers.
Just avoid the unis that demand multiple A*s and you're fine. It's easy to do, they're all **** anyway : <
diamonddust

diamonddust (cute name) i dont think many GPs will be willing to let you come in for w/e.well my dads a GP and so is my mum and their practice doesnt allow w/e people. i think this is cos its about patient confidentiality. unlike at a dentists, where you observe procedures some patients may come to the GP for a personal problem and may not like someone else there. i think a prison doctor w/e placement would be cool, i did that cos my uncle is a prison doctor but hated medicine....maybe too many doctors in the family put me off?!

anyway good luck !
7a*
4a
1b
a* in maths, double sci and eng.lang
Another worry thread :p:
ILOVECHEESE1991
diamonddust (cute name) i dont think many GPs will be willing to let you come in for w/e.well my dads a GP and so is my mum and their practice doesnt allow w/e people. i think this is cos its about patient confidentiality. unlike at a dentists, where you observe procedures some patients may come to the GP for a personal problem and may not like someone else there. i think a prison doctor w/e placement would be cool, i did that cos my uncle is a prison doctor but hated medicine....maybe too many doctors in the family put me off?!

anyway good luck !

Yeah that's true about the confidentiality thing, but I could still maybe do some clerical work or something? What was the prison doctor w/e like?
It sounds so interesting. Did you say you hated medicine or your uncle did?
And thanks for the compliment! :smile:
Toiletpaper8
Another worry thread :p:

Blame me! lol
I've pretty much taken over the Medicine subforum with worrying... "But like the whole world has 8 A*s... Will I get into Medicine?" :p:
I even annoy myself lol
diamonddust
Blame me! lol
I've pretty much taken over the Medicine subforum with worrying... "But like the whole world has 8 A*s... Will I get into Medicine?" :p:
I even annoy myself lol

Mehhh, just write a good PS and sell yourself well at interview :biggrin:

Although for medicine the hard part probably is getting the interview, with all the competition and that :p:
ThePenguinMafia
I turned up stoned/ drunk or exhausted to half my GCSE exams, received grades that reflected this and still managed offers.
Just avoid the unis that demand multiple A*s and you're fine. It's easy to do, they're all **** anyway : <

:rofl:
I almost burst into tears of anger in my maths exam because my glasses weren't working and I couldn't read the digits on the calculator... good times!
What unis did you apply to?
Toiletpaper8
Mehhh, just write a good PS and sell yourself well at interview :biggrin:

Although for medicine the hard part probably is getting the interview, with all the competition and that :p:

Lol, I'm already worrying about the interview bit... I had interviews for the sixth forms I applied to and I was really crap, I was really underprepared, I didn't know they'd ask you about a newspaper article and I'd watched the news just before the interview but I was so shocked by the question about birdflu I just stuttered saying things like " Birdflu...avian bird flu... um... It's a virus... a virus is...um..."
I left the interview room in tears because I knew I'd messed it up.
Got another interview at another school and sounded like an uber keen nerd, "I LOVE Science!".
Found out a few weeks later I'd got onto the waiting list at the first school, I assumed that was a polite way of saying I was rejected so decided to stay on at my old school, then got a letter from the first place saying I had to go in for an introductory afternoon. Now I go there.
The whole experience has left me with a huge fear of interviews and I'm not the most confident person ever and I'm already worried I'll mess up the interview, assuming I even get one.

I don't know how to build up my confidence and I know that that will be my problem in an interview.
I though I had good GCSE grades to do medicine, now I see there's going to be lots of competition. :frown:
diamonddust
Thanks! I agree with Jinxy though, when you're surrounded with people with amazing grades (like you, well done! :biggrin: ) it makes you feel like everyone else is better/has more of a chance than you and it stops you seeing the reality of your situation which means you constantly need reassurance that you do have a chance simply because everyone around you seems so amazing with loads of work experience etc.
Sorry if that made no sense lol

I'm hoping unis will look more for those people who will make a good doctor. If you hit the minimum grades they look for, I think they then concentrate a lot more on how much you're interested in being a doctor. So if you really want it you should be okay, and you'll probably be able to show it at interview. :smile:
Having said that I haven't applied yet so I'm not sure what to expect!

Latest

Trending

Trending