The Student Room Group

From gcse, a-levels to med school

I was really sad and disturbed so I thought I could leave a msg here and see if I can feel better after someone answers me...
Basically In 2021 because of student relocation, as I moved from Italy instead of Year 11, I was put in Year 10 so that I was able to catch up and study for my GCSE when I was put in Year 10 I was 15, Covid was not completely gone yet as we had to stay home for like 2-3 weeks because someone in our class got Covid. This Year I was in Year 11 (16 years old) and did my GCSE When I got my results I was shocked because I did not expect those grades... I failed Maths, English, and All the Sciences and just passed 3 of my subjects which is not what I thought would happen... Maybe because I did not work hard and was overconfident I was one of the top students in my school when I was in Italy but after moving here to the UK, I don't regret it because I love the country and also because my parents wanted me to study here, but all I did was let down my parents They didn't expect that as well... maybe there were mistakes that I made and never realized...? My dream is to do medicine. I even chose to do A-level: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY. I was so excited to start Sixth Form even if I was 1 YEAR older than most of the students in my class, there were some that were 16 too but of them 15. But I couldn't get admission because I didn't have the required grades. Now that I'm 17 I will be re-sitting my GCSE this year with confidence in myself and will work hard I know that I can do it. But sometimes like now that I'm writing to you guys I feel sad cuz of my age I feel like I am behind everyone because will be starting Sixth Form when 18 and Uni when 20 omg that makes me feel s*** and demotivated for the whole day. Even if my School offered my RE SITS and a level 2 course, I rejected it because thats not what I wanted to do, It wasn't my plan, I didn't deserve it. So chose to RE-SIT my Gcse get really good grades then do my A levels and get into my dream Uni for medicine.
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT?
LET ME KNOW
THANKS

*******Also I have another question right now I'm 17 years old and I will be resitting my GCSE in the summer of 2024... I already did some volunteering last year when I was in Year 10, Then I went into Year 11 this year and I did nothing because my parents wanted me to focus on my studies because I needed more help and hard work ec.. and I thought that after sitting my GCSE I would have done some work experience at a Hospital so that I would have a greater chance to get into a Good University... But nothing went as planned, and because of my grades, I want to now re-sit my GCSE get good grades, and apply for work experience at the Hospital after re-stting my GCSE Will that be ok? Or should I start
to apply and do work experience this year while re-sitting my GCSE I thought It would have been better if I just focused on my GCSE this time so that when I had to apply for Work Experience my good grades would have helped me to get the place... If I apply after resitting my GCSE and after results day I will 18 by then so should I apply as soon as I do my GCSE exams or should I wait for the results? I thought that when I will apply for medicine work experience that I would have done at a younger age would be taken more into account than work experience done at 18+...?
Original post by enthjmk5e664
I was really sad and disturbed so I thought I could leave a msg here and see if I can feel better after someone answers me...
Basically In 2021 because of student relocation, as I moved from Italy instead of Year 11, I was put in Year 10 so that I was able to catch up and study for my GCSE when I was put in Year 10 I was 15, Covid was not completely gone yet as we had to stay home for like 2-3 weeks because someone in our class got Covid. This Year I was in Year 11 (16 years old) and did my GCSE When I got my results I was shocked because I did not expect those grades... I failed Maths, English, and All the Sciences and just passed 3 of my subjects which is not what I thought would happen... Maybe because I did not work hard and was overconfident I was one of the top students in my school when I was in Italy but after moving here to the UK, I don't regret it because I love the country and also because my parents wanted me to study here, but all I did was let down my parents They didn't expect that as well... maybe there were mistakes that I made and never realized...? My dream is to do medicine. I even chose to do A-level: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY. I was so excited to start Sixth Form even if I was 1 YEAR older than most of the students in my class, there were some that were 16 too but of them 15. But I couldn't get admission because I didn't have the required grades. Now that I'm 17 I will be re-sitting my GCSE this year with confidence in myself and will work hard I know that I can do it. But sometimes like now that I'm writing to you guys I feel sad cuz of my age I feel like I am behind everyone because will be starting Sixth Form when 18 and Uni when 20 omg that makes me feel s*** and demotivated for the whole day. Even if my School offered my RE SITS and a level 2 course, I rejected it because thats not what I wanted to do, It wasn't my plan, I didn't deserve it. So chose to RE-SIT my Gcse get really good grades then do my A levels and get into my dream Uni for medicine.
LET ME KNOW
THANKS

*******Also I have another question right now I'm 17 years old and I will be resitting my GCSE in the summer of 2024... I already did some volunteering last year when I was in Year 10, Then I went into Year 11 this year and I did nothing because my parents wanted me to focus on my studies because I needed more help and hard work ec.. and I thought that after sitting my GCSE I would have done some work experience at a Hospital so that I would have a greater chance to get into a Good University... But nothing went as planned, and because of my grades, I want to now re-sit my GCSE get good grades, and apply for work experience at the Hospital after re-stting my GCSE Will that be ok? Or should I start
to apply and do work experience this year while re-sitting my GCSE I thought It would have been better if I just focused on my GCSE this time so that when I had to apply for Work Experience my good grades would have helped me to get the place... If I apply after resitting my GCSE and after results day I will 18 by then so should I apply as soon as I do my GCSE exams or should I wait for the results? I thought that when I will apply for medicine work experience that I would have done at a younger age would be taken more into account than work experience done at 18+...?

there are plenty of med schools that accept gcse resits just make sure you focus on getting the best resit grades possible this go x

there will be plenty of medical students in their 20s and even 30s so dont worry about being behind

focus on your grades first, then get the work experience that you can. Apply after you sit your exams, no need to wait til results day

youve got this
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chi chi5
there are plenty of med schools that accept gcse resits just make sure you focus on getting the best resit grades possible this go x

there will be plenty of medical students in their 20s and even 30s so dont worry about being behind

focus on your grades first, then get the work experience that you can. Apply after you sit your exams, no need to wait til results day

youve got this

Thanks a lottt
So you think that even if I get good like really good grades in my GCSE and A levels too I dont have a chance to get into med school at Oxbridge?
Thanks a lottt
So you think that even if I get good like really good grades in my GCSE and A levels too I dont have a chance to get into med school at Oxbridge?

For medicine prestige isn’t important

Oxford score GCSEs
Cambridge need A*A*A in three sciences

you have to check if they accept resits although I think Cambridge don’t look at GCSEs at all

that being said they both currently use the BMAT which is in its final year so scoring and selection will be very different by the time you get to the point of application

not ruled out but def a bit early to consider
Reply 4
LET ME KNOW
THANKS

You probably feel old in your current GCSE class, and maybe to some extent you will feel a little old at A-levels, but once you get to uni, it will make zero difference, and most people won't even know you are a bit older. Many also got travelling before uni, so take 1 or 2 years out before they start.

I would forget work experience this year. You only have about 8 months to your GCSE exams. Focus 100% on you GCSEs, doing all the usual good things like testing your memory with flash cards, and doing lots of practice questions. Once you get your GCSEs, you can then move to A-levels and do a bit of medical work experience then, if you are still interested in medicine.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
You probably feel old in your current GCSE class, and maybe to some extent you will feel a little old at A-levels, but once you get to uni, it will make zero difference, and most people won't even know you are a bit older. Many also got travelling before uni, so take 1 or 2 years out before they start.

I would forget work experience this year. You only have about 8 months to your GCSE exams. Focus 100% on you GCSEs, doing all the usual good things like testing your memory with flash cards, and doing lots of practice questions. Once you get your GCSEs, you can then move to A-levels and do a bit of medical work experience then, if you are still interested in medicine.

Oh, thank you very much.
So you believe that once I get good GCSE grades and A-levels I still have a chance to get accepted at one of the top University for medicine? like Oxbridge? Okay, I will focus on my GCSE only for now but what about the extra curriculum activities? I hear so many people on Youtube who got into top Unis that extra curriculum activities in Year 11 are so Important in this case for me as well as I'm retaking my GCSE... And for work experience yeah I will wait until summer and will start after GCSE because Uni only wants work experience from within the last 2 years of making an application... But again what about like other activities through which I can show my interest in medicine and a work-life balance so that my application can show that to Unis...? I thought I would take part in science essay competitions or something like that but because I'm studying for my GCSE at home and not school I cant take part because the essay competitions are for school :frown: I don't know what to do.
Reply 6
Oh, thank you very much.
So you believe that once I get good GCSE grades and A-levels I still have a chance to get accepted at one of the top University for medicine? like Oxbridge? Okay, I will focus on my GCSE only for now but what about the extra curriculum activities? I hear so many people on Youtube who got into top Unis that extra curriculum activities in Year 11 are so Important in this case for me as well as I'm retaking my GCSE... And for work experience yeah I will wait until summer and will start after GCSE because Uni only wants work experience from within the last 2 years of making an application... But again what about like other activities through which I can show my interest in medicine and a work-life balance so that my application can show that to Unis...? I thought I would take part in science essay competitions or something like that but because I'm studying for my GCSE at home and not school I cant take part because the essay competitions are for school :frown: I don't know what to do.

There is no top Uni for Medicine. All med courses are equal and are all really difficult to get into. Going to Oxbridge might give you a bit of extra prestige while you are there, but it will make not difference to your career as a doctor.

You can do work experience, essay competitions, and other extra curriculars once you've completed your GCSE from June next year. Sorry to be blunt, but you have a huge mountain to climb with your GCSEs, from failing most of them, to next year getting all 7s, 8s and 9s, which is what you will need to have a realistic shot at medicine. Focus on those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending