The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University courses

When you apply to university you choose what subject you want to take to study but I know that at Glasgow university you are allowed to take two other subjects. But are you allowed to drop the course you applied to do and take forward one of your other subjects to major in? I’m only asking as I’m not entirely sure of what i want to do when I’m older.
Original post by TM2300
When you apply to university you choose what subject you want to take to study but I know that at Glasgow university you are allowed to take two other subjects. But are you allowed to drop the course you applied to do and take forward one of your other subjects to major in? I’m only asking as I’m not entirely sure of what i want to do when I’m older.

Generally how UK universities work is you either do a straight degree (e.g. Computer Science), a joint degree split 50-50 (Maths and Computer Science) or a joint degree split 80-20 (Maths with Computer Science). Sometimes, if you take a single-subject degree, you can take open units, where you're given a wide variety of options to do a 10-20 credit unit from a different field, such as a language or humanity. Sometimes, you can take units not offered on your course but very similar (so a Computer Science student doing an Electronics unit, for example). However, the general idea is that you can't swap to a different course, because in the UK there is no major and minor system.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by TM2300

Hey! The Scottish university system is generally really flexible, which is why you'll find really broad based study in your first few years at universities like Glasgow.

What subjects are you considering? It's likely you'll be able to find a joint honours option as @DoNotMove has suggested if you want to combine your interests. Degrees in Scotland are longer (Honours programmes lasting 4 years), so if you want a lot of flexbility in your early years of study you might find that structure works better for you. This flexibility means you might be able to switch degrees - but generally only within the school/faculty you're studying in (e.g. You wouldn't be able to go from studying Psychology to studying Engineering, but you may be able to switch from a Psychology to a different Social Sciences degree, for example). You'll have a chance to maybe try more things out, and maybe have a clearer idea of what you'd like to go on to after you've done so.

If you're not sure of what career path you'd like to follow, don't panic too much- hardly anyone does! Looking for a flexible degree structure is a great way to go. Research degrees that will teach broadly in first year and let you try different things. Do subjects you enjoy and do them well- your career interests will form as you delve further in to areas that you enjoy.

Hope this helps a bit!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending