The Student Room Group

Family member may have covid and I'm stressed

Hey there

Hope everyone is surviving covid wherever they are.

So to keep it simple, my younger sibling has been having on and off symptoms of covid-19 for the last couple of days. As a family of 5, we've all been feeling on and off weak or just not right for the last week or so. My sibling works in a hospital on the ward as an assistant, doing jobs like helping patients in and out bed. Stupidly, the ward didn't let the staff know, till a week later that some of the patients have covid. And the ward didn't bother to test staff - they only carried on with patients. So she carried on working there - so did all her other colleagues, thinking they're fine wearing masks/visors/gloves/aprons.

She's went to get her test done today and we'll be told by Thursday if she's positive. Right now, she's in her bedroom and the rest of us are just leaving food/meds/drink outside her door.

It's just really stressful right now because of the waiting. I am more worried about my dad getting it because he has a lung condition and his immune system is quite weak but he doesn't seem to be phased. It's happened loads of times before: he will not take his health seriously until suddenly he becomes breathless and needs to be taken to a hospital, and then he starts panicking and getting all emotional saying "what if I die?" It annoys me because my mum + siblings don't want him to get sick and we've warned him ages ago, to go and live with his mum but he never listened! It's like we could have avoided this but nobody could be bothered. If he doesn't care, then I feel like I am stressing myself out for no reason BUT at the same time I feel guilty for not caring.

On a side note, does anyone know that, if 1 person is positive in a household, do the rest get tests done as well?

I just wanted to type this all out and let out my emotions. I don't have any friends or even cousins/relatives to turn to and my colleagues are the last people I want to tell as we are not on any level of friendship AND they're probably gonna think I'm incapable to carry on working even tho I'm wfh.

Thanks for reading
Hey, don't worry about stressing, it's perfectly normal to worry - I was the exact same when my brother had symptoms.
Just find an outlet for your worry, like a hobby such as art.
And maybe gently encourage your father to be cautious.
I hope this helps a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by bethiirene
Hey, don't worry about stressing, it's perfectly normal to worry - I was the exact same when my brother had symptoms.
Just find an outlet for your worry, like a hobby such as art.
And maybe gently encourage your father to be cautious.
I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks so much for responding.
Sorry to hear your brother had symptoms - I'm glad you can relate to me.
Yeah I think it's that time of the month haha, so probably why I am feeling a whole lot worse than I would on a normal day.
Honestly it did help - it makes me feel not so alone anymore.
Original post by 21ForEva
Thanks so much for responding.
Sorry to hear your brother had symptoms - I'm glad you can relate to me.
Yeah I think it's that time of the month haha, so probably why I am feeling a whole lot worse than I would on a normal day.
Honestly it did help - it makes me feel not so alone anymore.

no problem, glad to hear it helped!
I'm lucky my brother came back negative, when will you hear back for your sibling?
Reply 4
Original post by bethiirene
no problem, glad to hear it helped!
I'm lucky my brother came back negative, when will you hear back for your sibling?

All 3 of us have the symptoms now - one of them is getting their test back tomorrow. And me and the other one might get it back Friday or Monday. We're feeling on and off just disorientated, dizzy and hot. So far, the cough isn't as bad but it's only been a couple days.

So did your brother just have a fever/flu?
Original post by 21ForEva
All 3 of us have the symptoms now - one of them is getting their test back tomorrow. And me and the other one might get it back Friday or Monday. We're feeling on and off just disorientated, dizzy and hot. So far, the cough isn't as bad but it's only been a couple days.

So did your brother just have a fever/flu?

i hope you all begin to feel better soon.
he just had a cold from exercising outside in the morning when it was cold, just got a cough from that but he had a test to be safe

Quick Reply

Latest