The Student Room Group

Economics university requirements

Currently, I have been predicted A*AA in Economics, business and Geography but only got a level 6 in GCSE maths. I want to apply to Royal Holloway or Surrey for Economics degree but their requirements are A-Levels: AAB-ABB and GCSE level 7 in maths. Does anyone know if it's worth applying and if they would even consider me? Also if I use socio-economic factors would they lower the GCSE maths requirement?
Original post by bobby kutta
Currently, I have been predicted A*AA in Economics, business and Geography but only got a level 6 in GCSE maths. I want to apply to Royal Holloway or Surrey for Economics degree but their requirements are A-Levels: AAB-ABB and GCSE level 7 in maths. Does anyone know if it's worth applying and if they would even consider me? Also if I use socio-economic factors would they lower the GCSE maths requirement?

On their website, it says socio economic factors will be taken into consideration and alternative offers may be made to these applicants. So no guarantee, I think either apply to somewhere else which requires a 6 in maths or email their admissions team they may be able to help but I guess they will say it is no guarantee, so it will probably end up being a gamble for you. Trouble is maths is a very large part of an economics course so it would be understandable for some universities not to budge on their GCSE maths grade requirement if you aren't doing maths at a level.
Reply 2
Original post by tjames988
On their website, it says socio economic factors will be taken into consideration and alternative offers may be made to these applicants. So no guarantee, I think either apply to somewhere else which requires a 6 in maths or email their admissions team they may be able to help but I guess they will say it is no guarantee, so it will probably end up being a gamble for you. Trouble is maths is a very large part of an economics course so it would be understandable for some universities not to budge on their GCSE maths grade requirement if you aren't doing maths at a level.

Thnx for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending