The Student Room Group

Changing courses

I got an offer from the University Of Sheffield for BA economics but I thought I applied for BSc as on my UCAS application BSc economics had the code L100 for the other unis i applied to. Is it possible for me to get into BSc economics still. If so, do i need to email the university now or do I do it when I actually go to the University next september? Also is it a guarantee that i will be able to swap courses because I don't want to accept the offer from Sheffield if i can't swap.
Original post by Yohan1
I got an offer from the University Of Sheffield for BA economics but I thought I applied for BSc as on my UCAS application BSc economics had the code L100 for the other unis i applied to. Is it possible for me to get into BSc economics still. If so, do i need to email the university now or do I do it when I actually go to the University next september? Also is it a guarantee that i will be able to swap courses because I don't want to accept the offer from Sheffield if i can't swap.

There is no guarantee you'll be able to switch, especially given that the entry requirements are different (the BSc requires A level Maths, as it's a more maths-heavy course, whilst the BA doesn't).

If you want to switch, contact them now and make the request.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There is no guarantee you'll be able to switch, especially given that the entry requirements are different (the BSc requires A level Maths, as it's a more maths-heavy course, whilst the BA doesn't).

If you want to switch, contact them now and make the request.

Thanks for letting me know I'll email them when I email them do you think I should tell them the reason why I applied to BA economics instead of BSc as in i made a mistake or I should not say anything so I don't look like an irresponsible student. And do you think I have a good chance if my a-levels are econ, chem and maths.
Original post by Yohan1
Thanks for letting me know I'll email them when I email them do you think I should tell them the reason why I applied to BA economics instead of BSc as in i made a mistake or I should not say anything so I don't look like an irresponsible student. And do you think I have a good chance if my a-levels are econ, chem and maths.

I suspect they'll have little interest in why you want to switch, but I can understand your desire to provide an explanation. I doubt that they'll see you as "irresponsible" if you simply point out that L100 is a BSc course elsewhere and you hadn't spotted that it was a BA course at Sheffield.

As to your "do you think I have a good chance" question, I have no idea I'm afraid. It depends on how many people have already applied (and been made offers) for the BSc course and therefore whether they have any scope for making further offers.
Reply 4
I suspect they'll have little interest in why you want to switch, but I can understand your desire to provide an explanation. I doubt that they'll see you as "irresponsible" if you simply point out that L100 is a BSc course elsewhere and you hadn't spotted that it was a BA course at Sheffield.

As to your "do you think I have a good chance" question, I have no idea I'm afraid. It depends on how many people have already applied (and been made offers) for the BSc course and therefore whether they have any scope for making further offers.

Okay thanks again for all the help I'll let you know their decision when they come back to me.
Original post by Yohan1
Okay thanks again for all the help I'll let you know their decision when they come back to me.

Please do. :smile:
Reply 6
Please do. :smile:
Hey, I just wanted to thank you again for answering my question and helping me out by telling me to reach out to Sheffield Uni. And I just wanted to say that they have updated by UCAS application today and I've been accepted for BSc Economics.
Original post by Yohan1
Hey, I just wanted to thank you again for answering my question and helping me out by telling me to reach out to Sheffield Uni. And I just wanted to say that they have updated by UCAS application today and I've been accepted for BSc Economics.

Hurrah! That's fantastic news! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Yohan1
Hey, I am also now in a similar position that you were in where I have an offer at the University Of Sheffield for Law and Criminology but I've had a change of heart and now I want to do just Law at sheffield - should i also email them and ask if this is possible? do i need to state a reason? was your process of changing from ba to bsc smooth?

sorry for all the questions, im just a bit worried about this at the moment - by any chance could i see the email you sent them for reference?
Reply 9
Original post by elroymv1
Hey, I am also now in a similar position that you were in where I have an offer at the University Of Sheffield for Law and Criminology but I've had a change of heart and now I want to do just Law at sheffield - should i also email them and ask if this is possible? do i need to state a reason? was your process of changing from ba to bsc smooth?
sorry for all the questions, im just a bit worried about this at the moment - by any chance could i see the email you sent them for reference?
Hi, I think you should email the university as soon as possible do it tomorrow if possible because the earlier you send them an email the higher chance you have of being allowed to switch courses. I don't know if you need to specify a reason for why you want to change but in the email I had sent I did mention my reason which I mentioned at the start of the thread. The overall process did go smoothly but because I was worried they might not allow me to change courses I called the University up to see if they had received my email and I think the next day they changed my course. I'm unsure if me calling them up made the process any quicker but if your worried you might want to call the university up one or days after the email you sent. Also one final thing when Sheffield did change my course they hadn't emailed me specifically saying that they have changed the course to BSc economics but rather I got an email from UCAS track saying there has been an update on my application and when I clicked the details of my offer from Sheffield it says "please note the change of course (at your request)". Below I copy and pasted the email I sent to the University if it's a bit long sorry about that hope this helps though. I did also remove my UCAS id from the email so one sentence in it might look a bit weird.
Dear Admissions Office,
I hope this email finds you well. My name is Yohan, and I received an acceptance for the BA economics course at the University of Sheffield, which I am grateful for. However, I have realised recently I made a mistake on my UCAS application. I intended to apply for the BSc economics program, but mistakenly applied for BA economics, as the course code differed from the other universities I had applied to. Rather than the expected L100 code, Sheffield's BSc economics has the code L101. Given this error, I kindly request your consideration for admission to BSc economics rather than BA economics. My UCAS ID is and I am happy to provide any more relevant information that is required for this process.
Yesterday I sent this email to [email protected] but I haven't received a response so I am unsure whether or not that was the correct email to contact you about my situation. Which is why I am sending a follow-up email to you instead. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
Kind Regards,
Yohan
Thank you so much for your advice and insight into how you changed the course, I will definitely send an email tomorrow and then call them after 1 or 2 days. Thanks for showing me your email as well - I noticed that you mentioned that you emailed [email protected] first, which email did you send this message too? I just want to make sure I get the right email.
Reply 11
Thank you so much for your advice and insight into how you changed the course, I will definitely send an email tomorrow and then call them after 1 or 2 days. Thanks for showing me your email as well - I noticed that you mentioned that you emailed [email protected] first, which email did you send this message too? I just want to make sure I get the right email.
[email protected] I think both emails work and I was just being impatient. Might aswell use this email though.
Original post by Yohan1
[email protected] I think both emails work and I was just being impatient. Might aswell use this email though.
Okay, I have sent them an email and have received a reply - they said that I should check that I meet the requirements for the course but I am a bit unsure about this as the offer i have now for Law and Criminology had a requirement of AAB and my predicted grades i applied with are AAC but for Law the requirement is AAA, even though i dont meet the requirements for AAB i still managed to get an offer. Would i get an offer for Law for AAA even though i dont meet the requirements
Reply 13
Okay, I have sent them an email and have received a reply - they said that I should check that I meet the requirements for the course but I am a bit unsure about this as the offer i have now for Law and Criminology had a requirement of AAB and my predicted grades i applied with are AAC but for Law the requirement is AAA, even though i dont meet the requirements for AAB i still managed to get an offer. Would i get an offer for Law for AAA even though i dont meet the requirements
Im not sure my self if I'm being honest because for my case in changing courses the requirements were the same except that for BSc economics maths is required which were one my a level options so I had no issue with different requirements. But I think you might aswell give it a shot if you are determined enough to get into pure law. And even if you don't get in you can take a gap year if you get the required grades for your actual A levels if you have no issue with taking a gap year that is.
Regardless of whether they do switch me to Law instead of Law and Criminology, I am so grateful for your help haha - I have sent them an email about requirements and hopefully they do switch me to Law. I also told them that I have not had a teacher for my Law A-level since September and I am still predicted an A, I hope they do not see me as cocky or arrogant because I was just trying to show them that I am serious about doing Law and am really good with Law at A-Level
Reply 15
Regardless of whether they do switch me to Law instead of Law and Criminology, I am so grateful for your help haha - I have sent them an email about requirements and hopefully they do switch me to Law. I also told them that I have not had a teacher for my Law A-level since September and I am still predicted an A, I hope they do not see me as cocky or arrogant because I was just trying to show them that I am serious about doing Law and am really good with Law at A-Level
I hope they swap you man, keep me updated if they do best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending