The Student Room Group

Dropping A2 Economics

It's almost the end of year 12 and I'm about to enter my exams. Up until now I still feel like I have taken the wrong subject, which is economics (my other subjects are arts, media studies, and BTEC music). I chose econ because I wanted to do something other than creative subjects. Economics also have little maths and that added to the point why I wanted to take it, although right now I feel like maths would've been a better subject for me to take. My interests also fluctuate a lot because now I want to learn either biology or psychology instead of economics. My question is, should I drop economics next year? I would sure be happier and would have more time to spend with other subjects, but will it be worth it? Will an AS grade be relevant to universities?

Ps. my exam board is CIE for economics.
Original post by Mwms
It's almost the end of year 12 and I'm about to enter my exams. Up until now I still feel like I have taken the wrong subject, which is economics (my other subjects are arts, media studies, and BTEC music). I chose econ because I wanted to do something other than creative subjects. Economics also have little maths and that added to the point why I wanted to take it, although right now I feel like maths would've been a better subject for me to take. My interests also fluctuate a lot because now I want to learn either biology or psychology instead of economics. My question is, should I drop economics next year? I would sure be happier and would have more time to spend with other subjects, but will it be worth it? Will an AS grade be relevant to universities?

Ps. my exam board is CIE for economics.

Hey,

I can definitely relate to your situation as i was in the same position too. When I was in year 12, I took economics and found that I disliked it extremely. I was given the option to drop it at the end of year 12 on the condition that I picked up another A-level so I ultimately dropped it and switched to a subject I was more passionate about. It sounds like you have a similar experience.

If you're not enjoying economics and you're finding it difficult to maintain your interest in the subject, I think it would be a good idea to drop it. You'll likely feel happier and more motivated to learn other subjects that you're more passionate about. It's important to remember that your happiness and enjoyment of your studies is crucial to your overall success. Since I dropped economics, I've been able to concentrate and focus on my other subjects more effectively. Without a doubt, I have no regrets about my decision to drop economics.

As for whether an AS grade in economics will be relevant to universities, it really depends on the universities and programs you're applying to. Some universities might require certain subjects for specific programs, while others might not have any specific requirements. It's always a good idea to research the requirements for the universities and programs you're interested in.

:smile:
Reply 2
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! It feels good knowing that you're not alone in these kinds of situation. I do have a question still about your new a level subject, do you learn it in one year or do you have to retake y12?

(Original post by Aimen.Faisal)Hey,

I can definitely relate to your situation as i was in the same position too. When I was in year 12, I took economics and found that I disliked it extremely. I was given the option to drop it at the end of year 12 on the condition that I picked up another A-level so I ultimately dropped it and switched to a subject I was more passionate about. It sounds like you have a similar experience.

If you're not enjoying economics and you're finding it difficult to maintain your interest in the subject, I think it would be a good idea to drop it. You'll likely feel happier and more motivated to learn other subjects that you're more passionate about. It's important to remember that your happiness and enjoyment of your studies is crucial to your overall success. Since I dropped economics, I've been able to concentrate and focus on my other subjects more effectively. Without a doubt, I have no regrets about my decision to drop economics.

As for whether an AS grade in economics will be relevant to universities, it really depends on the universities and programs you're applying to. Some universities might require certain subjects for specific programs, while others might not have any specific requirements. It's always a good idea to research the requirements for the universities and programs you're interested in.

Original post by Mwms
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! It feels good knowing that you're not alone in these kinds of situation. I do have a question still about your new a level subject, do you learn it in one year or do you have to retake y12?

(Original post by Aimen.Faisal)Hey,

I'm glad that my response has been helpful! To answer your question, I'm currently in Year 13 and taking the new A-level course. In fact, I will be completing the A-level exam in just a few days. At the beginning of the year, I was assigned twice as many classes as usual, but I have been successfully managing my workload and am satisfied with the choice of dropping economics. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest