The Student Room Group

Cambridge Anglo Saxon Norse and Celtic (ASNC) Students and Applicants

Hey
(This thread may still remain on applications/ucas-sorry)

SO, is there anybody else applying for this 'awesome' subject? So far it looks like its only me and a friend of a friend. PLease let me know if i am going to be the lone fresher this year :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The average entry is 25, and 60 odd people applied in 2007, so I wouldn't worry. For such a niche subject, you'd be unlikely to know anyone on the course beforehand.
I would have loved to have done it.
Reply 3
SolInvictus
I would have loved to have done it.

Out of interest, why didn't you??
Q.E.D
Out of interest, why didn't you??

I found History more comprehensive and covering a wider range of my interests. Incidentally I have chosen a British History paper that covers the Anglo-Saxon, Celtic & Norse course in a much condensed version. Plus, Oxford is much closer to London's airports.

PS, why am I not in your spoiler:zomg: ?
Reply 5
SolInvictus
I found History more comprehensive and covering a wider range of my interests. Incidentally I have chosen a British History paper that covers the Anglo-Saxon, Celtic & Norse course in a much condensed version. Plus, Oxford is much closer to London's airports.

PS, why am I not in your spoiler:zomg: ?

Ah right... i'm glad you didn't tbh... wouldn't have the chance to meet you :wink: looking forward to freshers- bring on the foam parties :woo:
Re the sig... I really should remove that spoiler, it's from my n00b days... or maybe i'll just add you in- you definitely should be there :biggrin:
Q.E.D
Ah right... i'm glad you didn't tbh... wouldn't have the chance to meet you :wink: looking forward to freshers- bring on the foam parties :woo:
Re the sig... I really should remove that spoiler, it's from my n00b days... or maybe i'll just add you in- you definitely should be there :biggrin:

Ok defo meet up.

Foam parties aren't my thing, but if they have a Ceilidh or folk night I will drag you along.
Reply 7
some of the anglo saxon norse and celtic events look a bit dodgy, like an eveing with exiting photographs of scandinavia which is the 'highlight' of teh evning
ellie_flower
some of the anglo saxon norse and celtic events look a bit dodgy, like an eveing with exiting photographs of scandinavia which is the 'highlight' of teh evning

If you have any questions about applying, message me! ASNAC is absolutely awesome, and we do have some great social events (more exciting than a Scandinavian slideshow, anyway). I'm the Access Officer on the ASNAC committee anyway, so it's actually my job....
Reply 9
I've no idea how or why, but the ASNaC community is one of the best. :smile:
Reply 10
Soooo is anyone else applying for ASNaC 2009/2010 deferred entry?
OK
I've been asked to send in two essays to camrbridge. i'm applying duringmy gap year so it isn't like I'm producing essays. I have 3 'excellent' essays, two of which I would feel a lot better talking about.

I am applying for ASNAC, and they have asked for either a literary, history or linguitsics essay. The three i have are hist, philosphy of hist and world literature. I would feel most confident talking about hist and philosphy of hist, but my literature essay is far better.

Please help: they are more likely to give me an offer based on a great interview and one good and one excellent essay, than with 2 great essays anda ightly stumbing intreview?

need advice urgently! Thanks
Reply 12
I would have thought they will ask you about your submitted work so it is probably better to hand in the ones you feel comfortable talking about.

As far as I know they are not looking for a perfect piece of work, but one that will stigmatize discussion.
they do; I alrwady had an interview last year and both were centered around my submitted work, it's just that with ASNAC Im not sure how happy they would be if i submitted 2 history essays as they want to see a broad range of knowledge etc. And the english essay is WAY way better. But then again out of my comfort zone...
oh hey, my post was moved :frown:
Reply 15
I've an interview for ASNaC on Monday! Nice to see some sympathisers, I've had too many of the "you what?" answers when I tell people what I want to study...
Reply 16
Gonville and Caius, you? How was it/what did they ask you?
Reply 17
Anyone heard then?!
Reply 18
Yes, I have an offer! It'll come, don't worry!
Reply 19
Posts seem to have vanished from some people?

Quick Reply

Latest