The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester- what does this mean?

Hi, what does this mean for the website? I thought universities don’t mind re applications in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Attachment not found
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Bump
In general they don't, but this is for medicine - looks like they are trying to put off people who try year on year with substantially the same application. Seems reasonable to me.
Reply 4
Original post by Telomere
In general they don't, but this is for medicine - looks like they are trying to put off people who try year on year with substantially the same application. Seems reasonable to me.

But what if the application is different like with new work experience etc?
Reply 5
Like why can’t you also apply every year? What’s wrong with that? I know they’re trying to reduce numbers but still..
Original post by Anonymous
But what if the application is different like with new work experience etc?

They're saying that's fine for a reapplication (though asking applicants to contact them before applying). It's just not fine for a re-re-application.
Like why can’t you also apply every year? What’s wrong with that? I know they’re trying to reduce numbers but still..

They're not the only medical school. If you don't make it in twice, maybe you're not a good match for what they want or think they want - time to cast your net wider.
Reply 8
They're saying that's fine for a reapplication (though asking applicants to contact them before applying). It's just not fine for a re-re-application.

But this is giving me lots of stress. I just received an email about how I was rejected due to low ucat which was just my problem. Obviously I’m going to try my best but what if I mess up my ucat again? I have anxiety which causes my low ucat so I’m really worried now about what if I won’t get accepted next year? What will I do then? I won’t be able to move from home since my anxiety is that bad...
Reply 9
It’s for dentistry as well
But this is giving me lots of stress. I just received an email about how I was rejected due to low ucat which was just my problem. Obviously I’m going to try my best but what if I mess up my ucat again? I have anxiety which causes my low ucat so I’m really worried now about what if I won’t get accepted next year? What will I do then? I won’t be able to move from home since my anxiety is that bad...

From what I can gather, (can't see your attachment), they are just asking you to contact them before re-applying. The alternative is that they reject some people straight away in which case it's a wasted application.

Messing up the UCAT is always a problem as it means at least a years delay in most cases. Even if they discourage you from re-applying, it's just removing one option for your four choices.
If someone was rejected twice out of high school but then completed a degree and applied after that then I doubt there would be an issue. They're just trying to stop repeat year on year applicants who are just treading water. Seems totally reasonable for medicine and dentistry.

I'd really recommend seeking out some help with the anxiety. You will hit hurdles throughout life - in study, work and your personal life. We don't always get what we want and we need to be able to cope / adapt to what life throws at us.
Attachment not found
Here it is
I don’t get help. British mental health services are horrendous and my gp doesn’t care about my condition so what must I do? I won’t ever give up.
Like I said, my anxiety is something I have to live with as I have ocd too so I can’t move away. I won’t get cured in a year so
Attachment not found

To be honest, they're just stating outright the unwritten rule about any competitive course, IE. if your application is substantially the same and you reapply, you are very likely to be rejected again. They are encouraging you to get in touch beforehand to potentially save you, and them, the time and an application slot.

It's a good thing that they're willing to assess you ahead of submitting application, rather than just giving you the boot during the main cycle.
Like I said, my anxiety is something I have to live with as I have ocd too so I can’t move away. I won’t get cured in a year so

So maybe you need an alternate plan while you get the anxiety and ocd under control that's over a longer period of time.

Getting in won't solve your problem if you're then assigned to the Preston clinical base. It's potentially commutable, but then why not also look at UCLAN or Leeds medical schools?

My suggestion would be to work on the wider and more personal issues. You can't expect that everything will go your way even if you get a place. You still need flexibility and resilience throughout your life and that can take work to develop.
So maybe you need an alternate plan while you get the anxiety and ocd under control that's over a longer period of time.

Getting in won't solve your problem if you're then assigned to the Preston clinical base. It's potentially commutable, but then why not also look at UCLAN or Leeds medical schools?

My suggestion would be to work on the wider and more personal issues. You can't expect that everything will go your way even if you get a place. You still need flexibility and resilience throughout your life and that can take work to develop.

Preston is still in Manchester. That’s fine. I can’t fully work on wider issues because I have alevels to concentrate on. I’m going to get into Manchester for dentistry if it’s the last thing I do.
What concerned me with what was written on the website was that it wasn’t there a month ago and I was just worried. So thanks for the supportive, positive, sunny, kitten advice. Obviously I wasn’t struggling that’s why I stupidly came onto tsr.
Preston is still in Manchester.

It really isn't but good luck anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending