The Student Room Group

gcse triple science help

i’ve recently finished my mocks and i’m not too happy with my science grades, although they messed up our papers tiers and had us all do foundation so people like me who were meant to sit higher will be doing so next week. however, i’m wondering what i can do to improve my grades in generally - biology & chemistry i’m okay on but physics i can’t wrap my head around. i need help on them all really.. any tips or websites or resources to check out for past papers, practice questions or revision notes? i’ve recently started using phys&mathstutor & taking notes which i think helps but i want to do more. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hey,
It sounds like you're doing everthing you should be. The best thing to do is past papers and practice questions, as mark schemes, especially for sciences, tend to have a checklist of things to include, and doing past papers will help you learn how to put what's needed into your answer. If you're planning to do sciences at A level then it's a particularly good habit to get into.

I wouldn't waste too much time on notes- obviously still make them if they help you, just don't spend too much time beautifying them as its not really going to bring any extra benefit and it'll just waste time. CGP have amazing revision books that have everything you need, and they also have accompanying question books, so go through the notes, and answer the questions USING THE NOTES. Maybe answer on a separate piece of paper- this way, a bit later on, you can come back and answer the questions without using notes, and find any gaps in your knowledge.

When doing ppqs at first, you need to use your notes. There's no point in doing them otherwise. Then, as you start noticing you're not having to look at your ntoes as often, or start getting marks for including everything you need to, gradually stop using them. I'd also reccomend putting exam questions on flashcards and having the answer on the other side, particularly for common big mark questions. Maybe even just put the points that you need to include from the mark scheme. It sounds a bit pointless I know, but trust me, from experience, it works.
Reply 2
Original post by whoisevasmith
Hey,
It sounds like you're doing everthing you should be. The best thing to do is past papers and practice questions, as mark schemes, especially for sciences, tend to have a checklist of things to include, and doing past papers will help you learn how to put what's needed into your answer. If you're planning to do sciences at A level then it's a particularly good habit to get into.

I wouldn't waste too much time on notes- obviously still make them if they help you, just don't spend too much time beautifying them as its not really going to bring any extra benefit and it'll just waste time. CGP have amazing revision books that have everything you need, and they also have accompanying question books, so go through the notes, and answer the questions USING THE NOTES. Maybe answer on a separate piece of paper- this way, a bit later on, you can come back and answer the questions without using notes, and find any gaps in your knowledge.

When doing ppqs at first, you need to use your notes. There's no point in doing them otherwise. Then, as you start noticing you're not having to look at your ntoes as often, or start getting marks for including everything you need to, gradually stop using them. I'd also reccomend putting exam questions on flashcards and having the answer on the other side, particularly for common big mark questions. Maybe even just put the points that you need to include from the mark scheme. It sounds a bit pointless I know, but trust me, from experience, it works.

this has been so much help, thankyou so much!

Quick Reply

Latest