The Student Room Group

does taking triple science matter if i want to do medicine at imperial?

hi im currently y11 and im doing combined higher science (double science). im at a predicted 7 rn but tbh i dont really study so i get 5-7s but when i do i get 8-9. im in set3 (out of 5) science and i have a test soon that will determine wehter i move up to set 2 and consequently be given the oppurtunity to do triple science (since only set 1 and 2 are offered it)
abit of context. i used to be in set 1 but i slowly moved down bc of personal issues. im fine now, but i have to deal with the consequences of letting my performance go down (tbh i was doing bad in everything but the biggest issues rn are science and art since theres so much knowledge/ work to do and learn)
now im trying hard and studying for my test. when i do study i do well but these are topic tests not whole subject tests so they are much easier to study for. so while i might get a good grade in a topic test idk how ill do in the actual gcses with all the topics combined.
basically i just want to know if its worth doing triple science as so many people say it doesnt matter unless you do medicine. its effort but i hope in these next 8 months i can improve. no one really believs i can do it except my english tutor lol bc she thinks im super smart.
any advice, qs or study methods or anything really will really be appreciated and would help tons. thanks.
No, it really doesn't matter. It is quality of grades rather than quantity. Even for medicine.

I would concentrate on making sure you can recall the basic facts and also do past papers and make them, to learn how the exam board thinks.
Cognito provide past paper questions here: https://cognitoresources.org/
No, Imperial medicine doesn't score GCSEs and only has minimum grade requirements for GCSE English otherwise.

I'm not aware of any medical school that requires triple science. I don't even think doing it would give you any "bonus points" at unis that score GCSEs on specific subjects (e.g. Birmingham) as I believe they score the best two science GCSEs among the other specified ones, so whether you do combined or triple science assuming you got the same grades you would get the same score for the GCSE part of the shortlisting.
No you don't need to bother with doing triple
Just focus on studying double and get a 7 or maybe an 8 if you can
It's more about your ucat or bmat exam score and your interview score that matters
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
No, it really doesn't matter. It is quality of grades rather than quantity. Even for medicine.

I would concentrate on making sure you can recall the basic facts and also do past papers and make them, to learn how the exam board thinks.
Cognito provide past paper questions here: https://cognitoresources.org/

thanks! i was just unsure because since they get so many AAA a level result students they would have to differentiate between them someone and someone who did triple with an extra gcse might be higher than somoene who did double.

Quick Reply

Latest