The Student Room Group

Having 'phoneless' days

I'm considering having entire days with my phone off since it's distracting me from studies. Putting it aside for a few hours to work hasn't made a long term difference. Has/does anyone else do this?

I can deal with the distraction urge with disciplining myself to come back to what i'm doing - but how do you deal with the depressing and lonely feelings of loneliness and isolation when you can't use it? That's the difficult feelings to 'discipline'. There's nothing urgent i need to do on my phone these days and people don't really text me so it's fine to take a long time away from it.

Thanks
Good idea. I try to do that but it never works :lol:
Perhaps you should try an app called Forest- I’ve heard it’s good.
I've been trying to decrease my screen time too !! The best thing I've found has been deleting all my social media. It's not been easy and it has felt quite isolating at times to be disconnected from everyone but it's massively helped my motivation to study, as well as do other more productive things with my time like learning piano and reading. Tiktok especially was the big one for me and since deleting it my screen time has gone down from around 11 hours a day (I was quite badly addicted to my phone ://) to usually under 2 hours in which I'm mostly doing school work anyway. It's hard but it's definitely been worth it. I agree with the forest suggestion as well, it's been brilliant for helping to stop the urge to go on my phone in the middle of studying, if I o go on it I normally put it straight back down as it opens up on the app haha. Good luck with this !! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by charliesamuelm
I've been trying to decrease my screen time too !! The best thing I've found has been deleting all my social media. It's not been easy and it has felt quite isolating at times to be disconnected from everyone but it's massively helped my motivation to study, as well as do other more productive things with my time like learning piano and reading. Tiktok especially was the big one for me and since deleting it my screen time has gone down from around 11 hours a day (I was quite badly addicted to my phone ://) to usually under 2 hours in which I'm mostly doing school work anyway. It's hard but it's definitely been worth it. I agree with the forest suggestion as well, it's been brilliant for helping to stop the urge to go on my phone in the middle of studying, if I o go on it I normally put it straight back down as it opens up on the app haha. Good luck with this !! :smile:

Wow 11 hours to 2 hours a day! That's such a big improvement. I've managed to go from about 10 to 6-8 lol. Still lots to do! I don't have a tiktok but tiktok videos are everywhere!! so hard to escape. Enjoy the peace :smile: piano is a good idea i may try it

Quick Reply

Latest