The Student Room Group

Why does everyone say that they have anxiety?

I understand about getting ‘anxious’ but I counted how many students in my class have said they have anxiety and it was 23/32. I think they mean they’re anxious because unless you’re medically diagnosed then people shouldn’t be saying it or in my classes case, repeating it every lesson. The term ‘anxiety’ has lost its meaning. A friend of mine has been diagnosed with anxiety and once she tells teachers they say ‘yes dear, everyone gets anxious, it’s natural’ but she comes crying saying how they don’t understand how much she’s been suffering. And usually, medically diagnosed people with anxiety don’t go telling people they have anxiety unless it’s close friends and teachers. People shout across the room in my class and say we have anxiety and it annoys me so much because no one takes ‘anxiety’ seriously anymore! People just respond that anxiety is something everyone has, is normal and will go away but it’s not like that. Why should I lie? That friend I was talking about is me
Original post by Anonymous
I understand about getting ‘anxious’ but I counted how many students in my class have said they have anxiety and it was 23/32. I think they mean they’re anxious because unless you’re medically diagnosed then people shouldn’t be saying it or in my classes case, repeating it every lesson. The term ‘anxiety’ has lost its meaning. A friend of mine has been diagnosed with anxiety and once she tells teachers they say ‘yes dear, everyone gets anxious, it’s natural’ but she comes crying saying how they don’t understand how much she’s been suffering. And usually, medically diagnosed people with anxiety don’t go telling people they have anxiety unless it’s close friends and teachers. People shout across the room in my class and say we have anxiety and it annoys me so much because no one takes ‘anxiety’ seriously anymore! People just respond that anxiety is something everyone has, is normal and will go away but it’s not like that. Why should I lie? That friend I was talking about is me

I agree, the term is overused these days which means people take it with a pinch of salt when as you say, some people genuinely do have a debilitating condition known as anxiety.
Original post by harrysbar
I agree, the term is overused these days which means people take it with a pinch of salt when as you say, some people genuinely do have a debilitating condition known as anxiety.

I think some of those who use the term are seeking an excuse for something, be it behaviour or poor performance. It does not help those who have real and lasting mental health issues.
As Harrys said, it seems unfortunately people do overuse the word sometimes and I think the same can be said for depression.

The amount of times I’ve come across people saying they have depression but when they describe their “symptoms” it’s essentially just feeling sad or down at a particular stage of life which is a completely normal thing to experience.

The problem is anxiety and depression are emotions but clinically diagnosed anxiety and depression are mental health conditions with signs and symptoms. Therefore it’s important to differentiate between the two both from the point of view of the person who uses those terms and the point of view of the person who is conversing with said person. Both should be taken seriously obviously because people’s emotions shouldn’t be dismissed, but there’s a difference between having an emotion at a brief period in time and a condition which is always there and needs to be managed.

Interestingly, it’s usually the people who genuinely do have those conditions who don’t usually mention that they do. Those who are just feeling under the weather or stressed will usually just throw the words around. This is just my observation, so don’t come and ask me for data please.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest