The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
i have a friend from undergrad who's doing DAS. she graduated in 2006 and is now working in a whitehall dept (she applied for FS '08). they offered her a few positions which she turned because she wasn't too hot on them before she accepted her current job. she said that her advice for DASers is not to take the first job but to hold out for something that might jive a little more congruently with their interests (unless of course you hit gold straight off). she turned down two... it delayed her start until jan 2009 but she says that she was ultimately happier for holding out.

she got her first offer around mid-july 2008.

hopefully us FSers will hear by july too!
Reply 1541
pauls507
i have a friend from undergrad who's doing DAS. she graduated in 2006 and is now working in a whitehall dept (she applied for FS '08). they offered her a few positions which she turned because she wasn't too hot on them before she accepted her current job. she said that her advice for DASers is not to take the first job but to hold out for something that might jive a little more congruently with their interests (unless of course you hit gold straight off). she turned down two... it delayed her start until jan 2009 but she says that she was ultimately happier for holding out.

she got her first offer around mid-july 2008.

hopefully us FSers will hear by july too!

thanks, that's really really useful info!! i'm really keen on something with an international focus as that's what i did my MSc and work experience in so it's good to hear that you can be selective! tho i think the chances of dfid or the fco are pretty small/non existent!! good luck with your fs placement- what are you hoping for?
Reply 1542
Just out of interest :wink:, has anyone with a score of around 17.8 already been assigned to a department?
Reply 1543
i have a score of 17.9. when i called the cabinet office last week they told me that these were "high middle scores" and we should expect to be assigned by the first week of july. she added that all of the DS people dropping down to central depts after being unsuccessful at their FSBs means that there will be a delay. even though she said the first week of july was the outside she said that they'd hope to have it done before then, perhaps the last week of june.
Reply 1544
pauls507
even though she said the first week of july was the outside she said that they'd hope to have it done before then, perhaps the last week of june.

In other words, like greased lightning in comparison to the previous wait in the run up to getting our scores. Thanks paul507, that is good news.

Now to convincingly stick at it at my current work in anticiaption of the joy of handing in my notice.
Reply 1545
pauls507
i have a score of 17.9. when i called the cabinet office last week they told me that these were "high middle scores" and we should expect to be assigned by the first week of july. she added that all of the DS people dropping down to central depts after being unsuccessful at their FSBs means that there will be a delay. even though she said the first week of july was the outside she said that they'd hope to have it done before then, perhaps the last week of june.

I am a 'high middle score' also having waited in amber for DS since February to be told I was unsuccessful at the end of April. If only I was psychic...
Reply 1546
yea, it's annoying... i had the opposite pain... i had to wait til the final FSAC in the last week of april (that was a gap of almost 6 months after i'd taken the e-tray!). i was amber banded DS for just one day before being told i got central depts.
pauls507

Really? I have 17.92 and I was assigned over a month ago
hpaulson
Now to convincingly stick at it at my current work in anticiaption of the joy of handing in my notice.

Me too. I can't wait to hand in my notice. So tempted to quit and ride out the summer but I can't without knowing when my assignment will start.

I wish they assigned them all together at the end of the FSACs. While they say it doesn't affect it, you're definitely at an advantage if you were at an early assessment centre. I was immediately successful and if I'd been at an earlier FSAC I'm sure I would be placed by now.

Ah well. As long as I know by Glasto and can celebrate...

:-)
Reply 1549
No TiB published results just yet then...unless of course anyone out there has heard and I didn't. I really thought it was going to be today. On the one hand we do have the 'early June' timeframe, but on the other - as of tomorrow the 11th June event that Quady posted about will be less than two weeks away which makes me think they wouldn't want to leave it much longer otherwise it'll be very short notice. So hopefully tomorrow...
Reply 1550
Ellsbells3032
Really? I have 17.92 and I was assigned over a month ago

yea, they said they stopped forwarding applications to depts for assignment in late april. so if you were assigned more than a month ago your app must've gone over early April at the latest (they have two weeks two review the proposed assignment). did you have a feb/mar FSAC?

they stopped the assignments to:

1. reintegrate everyone who was amber banded DS and HoP
2. wait for all of the unsuccessful DS FSBers to drop back down to central depts.

if you had an early FSAC and applied for central depts only you got lucky with the assignment gods!
Reply 1551
thecaper
No TiB published results just yet then...unless of course anyone out there has heard and I didn't. I really thought it was going to be today. On the one hand we do have the 'early June' timeframe, but on the other - as of tomorrow the 11th June event that Quady posted about will be less than two weeks away which makes me think they wouldn't want to leave it much longer otherwise it'll be very short notice. So hopefully tomorrow...

It is a bit ridiculous, I hope you find out by the end of the week.

I really can't believe they haven't told people, actually, I can...
Reply 1552
Just rang up and they said by the end of this week for TiB (keeping in mind that I was right at the beginning of the FSBs). Which is still vague enough that I will end up checking every half hour!!
Reply 1553
Aylia
Just rang up and they said by the end of this week for TiB (keeping in mind that I was right at the beginning of the FSBs). Which is still vague enough that I will end up checking every half hour!!

Thanks for posting that Aylia - at least 'end of this week' puts it within 38 hours (as of writing this) for better or worse.
Reply 1554
thecaper
Thanks for posting that Aylia - at least 'end of this week' puts it within 38 hours (as of writing this) for better or worse.

No worries. Let me know if you hear anything. I even had a nightmare about assessment centres last week. Someone put me out of my misery!!
Reply 1555
I've just got off the phone to the lovely lady from Parity who has informed me that she is expecting the TiB results later today. This means that we will have them tomorrow (she is aiming for the morning).

My finger nails < 2.5mm.:eek3:
Reply 1556
after receiving the email from parity saying that the pre-appointment checks are complete and having this confirmed by the cabinet office assignments team last week, is there any chance that they'd decide not to give any of us a job/appoint us?

i ask because i'm considering quitting my current job at the end of june and i don't want to screw myself over - i.e. find out that the fast stream ran out of appointments etc. anyone know if this can still happen or are we "IN" now?

obviously, my employer already know that i'm planning on leaving because parity contacted them for a reference. i think they'd like me to trundle off too, after my "treachery" became known!
Don't think there's any chance of that, it's just a matter of when they get around to assigning you.
It depends how long you want to go in between jobs.
I know of a couple of departments who will be starting their intake at the beginning of October, but I'm not sure how widely this applies - I imagine there are some posts which they want to fill ASAP.

If they "run out" of appointments, they are simply assigned first the next year, or as soon as more posts become available. This will mostly affect people who are just over the pass mark.
Reply 1558
afrosia
I've just got off the phone to the lovely lady from Parity who has informed me that she is expecting the TiB results later today. This means that we will have them tomorrow (she is aiming for the morning).

Hopefully that's the definitive answer then... might have to change checking rate tomorrow from once everyone 30 minutes to once every 30 seconds...
Reply 1559
I am going to explode if I don't hear anything shortly.

Latest

Trending

Trending